Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Battery Firmware & DJI Support problems

mpcook

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.anactics.com
Okay, I am new here, and pretty new with my drone, so if I screwed up, please be kind. A week or two ago it appeared I needed to update firmware. I went through the process, and it appeared to update the drone and battery as well. I have two batteries. When I next flew, I put the second battery in the drone, and I was prompted to update battery number 2. The update stuck at 70% and would not progress. I tried several times, and it kept sticking at 70%. I did a chat with DJI support thinking if I am within my 2 years of care refresh, they would help me out. I stated the problem and a "repair was opened - "Issue Description:Firmware Update Failure; battery will not firmware update it stops at 70%." They instructed me to ship the battery back and sent me a prepaid mailer. Sent it in and after receipt, I was told the "DJI Mini 2 Intelligent Flight Battery (GL) was malfunctioned,which caused charging and discharging issue;" with picture below. I am now being charged $55 to receive a replacement. I did not have any problem charging/discharging the battery, it was working fine except it would not update to the newest firmware. I suppose I am out the $55 to get another battery 2. I ordered a new one from Amazon which arrives tomorrow so I will have a backup battery. I see no reason to get the battery for the same price from DJI. My concern now is will this new battery need to be updated as well, and will it have the same issue with firmware. In retrospect, I realize batteries are a "consumable" and I should have just tried to use it till it died.
4c2a703f-69ba-4a6b-983d-abd88d51725c.jpg

@mpcook the new battery will need to updated, because when you put it in the drone it will not be recognised until you update it

Reactions: KLRSKIR
@mpcook the new battery will need to updated, because when you put it in the drone it will not be recognised until you update it
I doubt that! The replacement battery will work as soon as you charge it, and should not require any update to be "recognized." Battery updates are never mandatory, and are usually completely unnecessary, and often further limit your control over the automatic battery discharges. Most likely, the update only changes the auto discharge when in the hub, which some complained wasn't happening. Battery updates can usually be ignored without any peril, just like FlySafe map updates, unless you need whatever change they implement.

@GadgetGuy i hope you are right ,but my experience ,from obtaining extra new batteries for my drones ,has been that in order for that battery to power the drone, it has had to have a battery update upon first use, so that the drone can communicate with the BMS in the battery pack,and then send that data to the RC for it to be shown on the screen ,number of charges remaining charge etc

Here is the solution from Dji Thor, with dji assistant 2. I solved 1 battery issue this way, with no problems
Screenshot_20220528_113633_com.huawei.browser.jpg

Reactions: mpcook
It is not about recognition but about update wich solved the problem with auto discharge of batteries while inserted in smart charger or in the drone

Here is the solution from Dji Thor, with dji assistant 2. I solved 1 battery issue this way, with no problems
View attachment 149017
Thanks, I will give this a try if the new battery is not updated. I suppose I could have done this on the battery that I sent in to DJI support, they should have mentioned this to try.

Reactions: CharlieHux and Pile
A little bit of an update:
1. I received the new battery from Amazon, followed the firmware update process given above and it succeeded just fine.
2. I called DJI support to ask them to send my battery back. As I mentioned above, they wanted $55 for a replacement, claiming my battery was faulty. 31 minutes on the phone later, I was told they would send my battery back.
3. Why does DJI not know about this issue with firmware updates? (Really, that is a rhetorical question).
Hoping to see my battery sometime soon, now that I know how to update it. Then I will have 3 batteries which is a bonus of these shenanigans.

Okay, I am new here, and pretty new with my drone, so if I screwed up, please be kind. A week or two ago it appeared I needed to update firmware. I went through the process, and it appeared to update the drone and battery as well. I have two batteries. When I next flew, I put the second battery in the drone, and I was prompted to update battery number 2. The update stuck at 70% and would not progress. I tried several times, and it kept sticking at 70%. I did a chat with DJI support thinking if I am within my 2 years of care refresh, they would help me out. I stated the problem and a "repair was opened - "Issue Description:Firmware Update Failure; battery will not firmware update it stops at 70%." They instructed me to ship the battery back and sent me a prepaid mailer. Sent it in and after receipt, I was told the "DJI Mini 2 Intelligent Flight Battery (GL) was malfunctioned,which caused charging and discharging issue;" with picture below. I am now being charged $55 to receive a replacement. I did not have any problem charging/discharging the battery, it was working fine except it would not update to the newest firmware. I suppose I am out the $55 to get another battery 2. I ordered a new one from Amazon which arrives tomorrow so I will have a backup battery. I see no reason to get the battery for the same price from DJI. My concern now is will this new battery need to be updated as well, and will it have the same issue with firmware. In retrospect, I realize batteries are a "consumable" and I should have just tried to use it till it died.
4c2a703f-69ba-4a6b-983d-abd88d51725c.jpg
My 3 mini 2 batteries are swollen after only 30 charges. I contacted DJI service and they don't care. They answered with a "loyal consumer" offer to buy them $10 off. I bought the mini 2 8n December 2020 as well as the Refresh Care for a second year. It's a ripoff that batteries last only 30 charge cicles. I'll file a claim to the Consumers Affair Department and also in the Fed. Aviation Admin because this issue that DJI don't want to recognize is very dangerous.

A little bit of an update:
1. I received the new battery from Amazon, followed the firmware update process given above and it succeeded just fine.
2. I called DJI support to ask them to send my battery back. As I mentioned above, they wanted $55 for a replacement, claiming my battery was faulty. 31 minutes on the phone later, I was told they would send my battery back.
3. Why does DJI not know about this issue with firmware updates? (Really, that is a rhetorical question).
Hoping to see my battery sometime soon, now that I know how to update it. Then I will have 3 batteries which is a bonus of these shenanigans.
I assume you received your original battery back by now from DJI, and were able to get it updated properly?

I assume you received your original battery back by now from DJI, and were able to get it updated properly?
As far as I can tell, they actually sent me a new battery. All updated and just fine. I suppose it was easier for them to just send a new battery then find, repack and mail the old one.

As far as I can tell, they actually sent me a new battery. All updated and just fine. I suppose it was easier for them to just send a new battery then find, repack and mail the old one.
Cool! Charging you to replace it would have been absurd! Likely an inexperienced costumer service rep made a mistake that a supervisor quickly fixed! I would have escalated it immediately to a supervisor for review of a poor decision. None of this was your fault! Eventually, once you get to a reasonable person, they do the right thing. Glad it worked out for you!

Reactions: CharlieHux
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60