DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 control distance

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-

I took my new Mini 2 out yesterday afternoon between clouds and wind gusts. I do enjoy the way this little bird handles and follows commands. A joy to fly.

I wanted to see how far I could get her to run and still be under control. I flew out toward town and made it about 3500 feet before I began to get loss of signal on the screen. a little bit farther and the system went into return to home. How far do you folks get on your mini 2 before it drops out and comes home?

And yes, I know terrain and tree cover and many other factors come into play.

Many thanks- Ed

Good morning to all-

I took my new Mini 2 out yesterday afternoon between clouds and wind gusts. I do enjoy the way this little bird handles and follows commands. A joy to fly.

I wanted to see how far I could get her to run and still be under control. I flew out toward town and made it about 3500 feet before I began to get loss of signal on the screen. a little bit farther and the system went into return to home. How far do you folks get on your mini 2 before it drops out and comes home?

And yes, I know terrain and tree cover and many other factors come into play.

Many thanks- Ed
I think 3500ft is a fair signal range if there are trees and hills involved. The official range is much further but it isn't possible to maintain legal VLOS even if terrain conditions permit.

I've gotten 5 miles in a pretty flat but not perfect area with few obstructions. I could have gone further than I did based on battery. I can usually get 2-3 miles even with a couple of obstacles around. With a forest around or serious obstacles and interference I can still usually get at least a mile.

This little drone can really get out there! Some tips: I noticed I get a lot better range when I put my phone in airplane mode. And make sure you're holding the controller properly. Maybe get the Yagi-Uda device to add to your controller. I've noticed that interference from wifi will be a big factor in range, including your own.

Longest I ve seen is 10400 feet or about 2 miles. 11 minutes flight in sports mode and landed with just 18% battery. I wanted to shoot video of a nice little island. Signal was still very strong at that range, over water without obstruction. The key is to make sure the controller antenna faces the drone at all times

I've gotten 5 miles in a pretty flat but not perfect area with few obstructions. I could have gone further than I did based on battery. I can usually get 2-3 miles even with a couple of obstacles around. With a forest around or serious obstacles and interference I can still usually get at least a mile.

This little drone can really get out there! Some tips: I noticed I get a lot better range when I put my phone in airplane mode. And make sure you're holding the controller properly. Maybe get the Yagi-Uda device to add to your controller. I've noticed that interference from wifi will be a big factor in range, including your own.
I'm finding it slightly difficult to accept 5 miles.
That would mean 5 miles out 5 miles back. Just can't see how the battery could sustain such a flight even on the best of days. It would absolutely be on the wire and would require zero obstacles.
Km's sure.

That would mean 5 miles out 5 miles back. Just can't see how the battery could sustain such a flight even on the best of days. It would absolutely be on the wire and would require zero obstacles.
Km's sure.
DJI claims that OcuSync in the Mini 2 is good for 6.2 miles -- purely hypothetical, of course, since I'm sure they know that no one would actually try to fly that far beyond VLOS -- and a 12.4-mile round trip is barely possible in 25 minutes if you can average 30 mph.

DJI claims that OcuSync in the Mini 2 is good for 6.2 miles -- purely hypothetical, of course, since I'm sure they know that no one would actually try to fly that far beyond VLOS -- and a 12.4-mile round trip is barely possible in 25 minutes if you can average 30 mph.
Exactly. Theoretically and actual can be far apart.
Just because they quote the signal can reach that far it doesn't mean the drone can or even get back. It's a one way trip.

Good morning to all-
Well, since my long distance flying is severely frowned upon by certain folks, I won't report on my actual long-distance results, but here on the Gulf Coast where elevation is limited and there are lots of tall trees to interfere with contact, I believe 2 miles is a reasonable out and back flight distance.
If I were out west where I could climb up on a mesa and send the Mini 2 off over flat land, I do believe it would go out there quite a bit farther and still remain under control and in good contact.

But of course, we NEVER fly BVLOS, do we?

good day to all- Ed

Exactly. Theoretically and actual can be far apart.
Just because they quote the signal can reach that far it doesn't mean the drone can or even get back. It's a one way trip.
I meant that there should be enough power to fly 6.2 miles out and back with a Mini (assuming the signal actually reaches that far) provided that your battery is in good enough condition to average 30 mph for 25 minutes (which a new battery should), and you don't burn too much fighting wind, etc. In other words, I think it's barely possible, but range testing is on my Don't Do List, for several reasons, including that you might not make it back.

I counted 6 videos on Yotube in which the Mini 2 on a standard battery allows you to return to the starting point after flying exactly 5 km. Total 10 km.

Km's sure.
It was a range test so I wasn't worried about making it all the way back. If you go past 50% I don't recommend even trying. I launch from my workplace and know the area well. I landed when the battery got low in a closed businesses yard and picked it up. I didn't try to make it all the way back but rather spend the time looking for a secluded and safe spot to land rather than forced landing at 0% in a 100 foot tree!

FYI a hotel recently opened up and their wifi noise has messed with my range of transmission

Hi, I can't really understand why you who are doing "range tests" have to fly far away... why don't you just fly much shorter distance fwd and back many times?
It was a range test so I wasn't worried about making it all the way back. If you go past 50% I don't recommend even trying. I launch from my workplace and know the area well. I landed when the battery got low in a closed businesses yard and picked it up. I didn't try to make it all the way back but rather spend the time looking for a secluded and safe spot to land rather than forced landing at 0% in a 100 foot tree!

FYI a hotel recently opened up and their wifi noise has messed with my range of transmission
nder

Hi, I can't really understand why you who are doing "range tests" have to fly far away... why don't you just fly much shorter distance fwd and back many times?

nder
Why do people run marathons? Why participate in the rally? Because it's just interesting.

Reactions: heywood_youdroneme
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf