DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 controller and response latency?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
For reasons that are unimportant, for the moment I'm stuck flying my Mini 2 inside the house (with prop guards). I want to develop my skill in flying in tight spaces which require precision in inches, not in feet or meters. The size of the Mini 2 plus guards isn't that wide, yet it seems that hard as I try, different settings and all, it seems that I can't stay off the walls or easily stay away from objects I don't want to touch. I'm using either an iPhone XR or iPad Mini 6 attached to the controller.

When flying through a narrow space I can see that I have to make corrections. But when I do the response time seems both slow and abrupt. I start leaning on the sticks and get nothing...nothing...nothing...then a big move. I've tried lots of settings including speed/smoothness adjustments and the new EXP. But I still have difficulty with real precision because the Mini 2 just responds so late.

I have to wonder if it's latency, possibly combined with dead-stick space that's making it so hard to control in tight spaces? I don't seem to have that issue with my Mavic 2 Pro, which mercifully has the tripod mode (instead of Cine mode). I'd practice inside with it, but it's just too big for the space.

What do you think the issue(s) might be that hamper real precision in tight spaces?

Since you are using the prop guards, the First Question is have you enabled Payload Mode in the Advanced Safety Settings?

Next Question is have you made any adjustments in the Advanced Gimbal Settings. Perhaps this is something you need to do. The title of "Gimbal Settings" deals not just with the gimbal but also how fast and how smoothly the drone responds to your yaw inputs… "Google" YouTube and watch various Videos on the How-To and Where-for.

Final Question is have you made any adjustments in the Control Menu, Advanced setting? This are allows you to adjust the proportional response of your stick movement to the response of the drone. Like before, "Google" YouTube and watch various Videos on the How-To and Where-for.

And I guess you need to study Thermal Dynamics, especially since you said you were going into tight spaces… When you hover close to a vertical surface, the airflow from that prop wash will form a vertical column of air that can draw the drone closer to the wall. Where the prop wash spreads out in a fan motion. If you need any proof of this Google the problems the special forces had when they landed a helicopter in Osama bin Laden's compound. The prop wash, within the confines of the walls prevented the helicopter from gaining any lift. The Special Forces were forced to evac in the secondary helicopters and BLOW UP the helicopter stuck in the compound…

Last edited:
Reactions: vindibona1
I suspect that there are a few things left to try to adjust. But yes, I know that the prop wash can push the drone around. I didn't know it could suck it into a wall. But still, the input/response seems very slow. What I do know is that however I have the adjustment in normal mode is much more controllable than in Cine mode. However, having said all that, my M2P does have a better overall response to stick input. I have questions about the "new" controller that DJI is foisting on all the prosumer models across the board. The M2P controller is far superior IMO,

Try setting EXP to 0.5? or whatever the straight line is.
EXP settings that introduce curves inherently produce different rates of changes of response at different points in the stick's movement i.e. uneven response rates.
I too think fine control in the normal mode is much better than it is in cine mode. Sports mode might be even better but an accidental twitch is too risky.
Watch out for 'ceiling suck' too, I have had either a Mavic 2 Pro of a Phantom 3 stuck to the ceiling and it was surprising how much I had to throttle off to get it to unstick.

Last edited:
And I guess you need to study Thermal Dynamics, especially since you said you were going into timey spaces… When you hover close to a vertical surface, the airflow from that prop wash will form a vertical column of air that can draw the drone closer to the wall. Where the prop wash spreads out in a fan motion.
The fluid dynamics in an enclosed space can be interesting. Since the weather has been so lousy recently, I've been flying my two Holy Stone drones inside, the HS110D, and the HS120D.

The HS110D is lighter and less powerful, and it can't seem to get out of it's own propwash indoors. Very hard to stabilize. It flies fine outside.

The HS120D does better inside. Heavier, and more powerful, apparently out of proportion to the propwash forces. Much easier to stabilize.

When I formalized my pre-flight on the Minis a month or so ago, I started turning them on inside to do all the syncing. I've had them get enough GPS signal...inside...to set a home point on more than one occasion. I haven't tried flying them inside yet, but I probably will eventually.

Flying inside is a very poor substitute for flying outside in the real world!

MM...FP..?

For reasons that are unimportant, for the moment I'm stuck flying my Mini 2 inside the house (with prop guards). I want to develop my skill in flying in tight spaces which require precision in inches, not in feet or meters. The size of the Mini 2 plus guards isn't that wide, yet it seems that hard as I try, different settings and all, it seems that I can't stay off the walls or easily stay away from objects I don't want to touch. I'm using either an iPhone XR or iPad Mini 6 attached to the controller.

When flying through a narrow space I can see that I have to make corrections. But when I do the response time seems both slow and abrupt. I start leaning on the sticks and get nothing...nothing...nothing...then a big move. I've tried lots of settings including speed/smoothness adjustments and the new EXP. But I still have difficulty with real precision because the Mini 2 just responds so late.

I have to wonder if it's latency, possibly combined with dead-stick space that's making it so hard to control in tight spaces? I don't seem to have that issue with my Mavic 2 Pro, which mercifully has the tripod mode (instead of Cine mode). I'd practice inside with it, but it's just too big for the space.

What do you think the issue(s) might be that hamper real precision in tight spaces?
I'm afraid my wife wouldn't like to hear the sound of props winding up in the next room. She let me buy the Mini 2, and I've only clipped a few branches in the yard. The chickens (part of a 4H project that our daughter left behind when they moved to Oklahoma) are always in their pen when I fly. From how bad I'm flying so far, I doubt I'll ever fly in the house, even with blade guards. Have to go down to the local park and see if there are any signs posted about NO DRONES. There I'm still far enough away from the airport runway.

I'm afraid my wife wouldn't like to hear the sound of props winding up in the next room. She let me buy the Mini 2, and I've only clipped a few branches in the yard. The chickens (part of a 4H project that our daughter left behind when they moved to Oklahoma) are always in their pen when I fly. From how bad I'm flying so far, I doubt I'll ever fly in the house, even with blade guards. Have to go down to the local park and see if there are any signs posted about NO DRONES. There I'm still far enough away from the airport runway.
I get it. Without going into much detail, due to a medically induced condition I've had to stay home alone, for a period. One can only watch TV, spend way too much time on the forum without going crazy. I've tried too spend the time testing different aspects of my drones, noting what I didn't like in the handling and trying to adjust to taste. I think my other half will come home tonight after 2 weeks if her PCR test comes back negative. So, I've had the house absolutely to myself to make as much noise as I like, making too much of a mess which I'll have to fix today.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+