DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 controller (model RC231) not charging, is a work around/bodge possible? The......

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

USB port passes data to Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)

I like to tinker, I have acquired a Mini 2 controller that is not charging. Its battery is currently under 25% and flashes 1 LED when on. If I attempt to charge it I get 6 or 7 spaced out flashes from the first LED ( as might be normal ) then a few rapid flashes and then the LED goes out. With a USB ammeter in line I see around 0.9A during the spaced out flashes. The current drops significantly during the rapid flashing, I do not remember the value, and then falls to 0 when the LED goes out.

Assistant 2 for Mavic did not see the controller so I wondered if there was a broken solder joint. I opened the controller and the USB-C socket's solder points are TINY. I tried it resolder two, (just in case) but even with my finest soldering tip it's like driving a panel pin with a 14lb sledge.
A google showed a later version of Assistant 2, ver 2.1.5, and that sees the controller and allows me access etc. so I now assume the USB-C port is working correctly. Am I correct?
According to the assitant, the controller is currently on firmware v02.00.1200 with v04.11.0016 being available.

Is there anyway the 'not charging' is occasional flaw in any update?

So...... the batteries appear to be two single cells, one at each side (in the palms of your hands as you hold the controller). Each is connected to the main circuit board by a two wire lead. It would appear to be fairly easy to rig up flying leads from each battery to the 'outside world' and charge them like that.
Is this thought wise or unwise? I can see that this might 'feed' voltages to the circuit board in an inappropriate manner but do not know if it is a real or imaginary problem. If a real problem then I could arrange the flying lead/s so that, whilst charging the batteries, the batteries are disconnected from the circuit board.

I have not yet worked out if the individual batteries are in series or parallel with one another and obviously this needs to be done.

If they are used in parallel would it be feasible to have a common flying lead to the outside world, the batteries would then be permanently in parallel with one another even if the wizardry inside the controller would normally uncouple them at various times.

Windows 7 reports that "dji usb virtual com (com54)" filed to install and that a driver for "HS-Data Channel" could not be found, are these significant?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have charged the batteries, by direct connection, and since the controller worked with only one battery connected I am assuming the batteries are used in parallel.
At one point I disconnected both batteries simultaneously but when they were reconnected the controller would not switch on. Since I had nothing to lose I connected the USB cable and the battery LED's did the flashy thing and then went out, after that the controller would switch on.
Complicated beasts these things are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31