DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 default advanced stick settings

el_mini

Reactions
Hi,
Can anyone share screenshot from default advanced stick control settings?
I changed the curves and I am not sure if Restore default button works. After this change, my Mavic turns around very very slow. I need to switch to CINE or SPORT mode to fly normal.
Fly app version: 1.5.10

If by "curves" you mean the EXP settings, changing those curves do not change the maximum 'speeds of....' at the travel limits of the sticks.
The maximum YAW rate and others maximum rates can be adjusted in a different settings 'menu' but at the moment I can not remember where that 'menu' is found.

Thanks!
EXP was ok, same as Jim. But in gimbal settings Reset button do nothing and had too much yaw smoothness.

I reccomend you check yours Reset button if works.

You can see from the composite image below that resetting EXP is easy. Top left corner is the reset buttons. I'm not sure if you have to reset the normal and sport mode settings separately. The Advance (gimbal) control with Yaw settings does not appear to have a reset button

The image below is part of a lengthy thread that I started. The bottom line of it is that yaw (and gimbal) in three modes is handled in the advanced gimbal settings menu. However forward/backward, (slide) Left/right and up down are adjusted in the EXP settings. IMO, ideally you (or at least I) want the the stick movements and drone response in all directions to be "balanced". I find that this is what way to get the smoothest flight and consequently film footage. I found that it was disconcerting when the yaw controls provided a nice smooth response, but if I wanted to slide left or fight, up or down it was pretty jerky. IMO this becomes important if you're trying to make compound moves, such as yawing and sliding sideways or moving forward of backwards at the same time. I have found that analyzing the smoothness of my compound moves was key to getting the sticks/and response somewhat balanced. It took some more figuring out and over a year of flying the Mini 2 to understand that all the settings weren't done in one section, but some movements in advanced gimbal and others in EXP.

As a side note, this experiment/discovery in the Mini 2 has helped me understand the Mavic 2 as it only has EXP.
If you want more of (long) explanation do a search for "The hidden secret sauce to finer control"

1653059255852.png

Reactions: Pile
Thanks!
EXP was ok, same as Jim. But in gimbal settings Reset button do nothing and had too much yaw smoothness.

I reccomend you check yours Reset button if works.
Would increasing the yaw smoothness helped with blurred images during rotations?

Thx.

Would increasing the yaw smoothness helped with blurred images during rotations?

Thx.
Are you asking if the yaw smoothness would help increase cine blur or decrease general blur? What smoothness does is adjusts how quickly the yaw stops. It helps reduce jerkiness, like a shock absorber. The smoother you set that control the longer it takes to get the yaw to stop moving.

Are you asking if the yaw smoothness would help increase cine blur or decrease general blur? What smoothness does is adjusts how quickly the yaw stops. It helps reduce jerkiness, like a shock absorber. The smoother you set that control the longer it takes to get the yaw to stop moving.
With both the Minis and the FPV, if I rotate the drone, the image gets both blurry and jerky. I'd like to reduce that. Assume a 360º rotation

When it comes to photo stuff, I'm a total non-expert, but I'm not seeing how stopping the yaw movement more slowly would improve the issues that are present for the entire spin.

Thx

With both the Minis and the FPV, if I rotate the drone, the image gets both blurry and jerky. I'd like to reduce that. Assume a 360º rotation

When it comes to photo stuff, I'm a total non-expert, but I'm not seeing how stopping the yaw movement more slowly would improve the issues that are present for the entire spin.

Thx
With the mini the yaw (rotation) is easy to dial in, but you have to see what works for you, both indoors and out. What I did was, in my office/studio I put the Mini 2 on the floor (I have patterned carpeting so it uses visual positioning), launch it about 3-4 feet off the ground and let it hover. I see how the yaw reacts with the different speed and smoothness settings with EXP at default settings. At this point I'm looking for smoothness which is all with close-range objects. But that's a starting point. It will be different outdoors, so you have to double check with the drone up in the air looking at distant objects because it will require adjustment.

As you know, EXP controls the stick response curve; how fast/much your drone reacts as you push the sticks further to maximum. These parameters were set up on my iPad, but if you use multiple screen devices they must be set up independently. I think I soften the stick response as in the default setting the response at the top the response is very sharp and then a lot of the stick movement toward max doesn't affect much the acceleration/deceleration of drone response is greatly diminished once I get just a few mm off center. In the sport mode I keep use a sharper EXP because I exepect quick response and I'm usually not going to film. Little of this matters for photography as the drone would most likely be hovering for still shots.

I think I contradicted myself a bit as I hinted that yaw is controlled only by advanced gimbal settings. That seem not to be absolutely true. It appears that in normal mode I adjusted the rudder (yaw) stick response. for a more linear stick response, which is what I seem to like as long as it doesn't affect drone response negatively. However as there is no speed/smoothness for forward/backward, (slide) left and right and up and down, the only way to adjust those are all done in EXP. I see little need for other adjustments except for slide left/right as too much output with little input can get me in trouble laterally, less so than forward backward.

I hope I answered your question.

I wrote this thread some time ago for the same reason. There you have the settings.

With the mini the yaw (rotation) is easy to dial in, but you have to see what works for you, both indoors and out. What I did was, in my office/studio I put the Mini ……

I hope I answered your question.
I have messed with advanced gimbal (with fairly good success) but your 2 posts here have helped a great deal on understanding how these parms work. I will do some more fiddling. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: vindibona1
I have messed with advanced gimbal (with fairly good success) but your 2 posts here have helped a great deal on understanding how these parms work. I will do some more fiddling. Thanks for the info.
Thank you. I think the one nice thing that DJI did with their GoFly app is put in advanced gimbal settings in there. Adding EXP is a nice tool too but a bit confusing as to how to use both. I'm still messing with them. My goal is to be able to fly close to objects, have enough fine control without the drone over or under reacting.

You can see from the composite image below that resetting EXP is easy. Top left corner is the reset buttons. I'm not sure if you have to reset the normal and sport mode settings separately. The Advance (gimbal) control with Yaw settings does not appear to have a reset button

The image below is part of a lengthy thread that I started. The bottom line of it is that yaw (and gimbal) in three modes is handled in the advanced gimbal settings menu. However forward/backward, (slide) Left/right and up down are adjusted in the EXP settings. IMO, ideally you (or at least I) want the the stick movements and drone response in all directions to be "balanced". I find that this is what way to get the smoothest flight and consequently film footage. I found that it was disconcerting when the yaw controls provided a nice smooth response, but if I wanted to slide left or fight, up or down it was pretty jerky. IMO this becomes important if you're trying to make compound moves, such as yawing and sliding sideways or moving forward of backwards at the same time. I have found that analyzing the smoothness of my compound moves was key to getting the sticks/and response somewhat balanced. It took some more figuring out and over a year of flying the Mini 2 to understand that all the settings weren't done in one section, but some movements in advanced gimbal and others in EXP.

As a side note, this experiment/discovery in the Mini 2 has helped me understand the Mavic 2 as it only has EXP.
If you want more of (long) explanation do a search for "The hidden secret sauce to finer control"

View attachment 148630
Great tips, it's really close to my settings, except yaw smoothness in my settings is not smoother in S mode than in N mode👍

Thank you. I think the one nice thing that DJI did with their GoFly app is put in advanced gimbal settings in there. Adding EXP is a nice tool too but a bit confusing as to how to use both. I'm still messing with them. My goal is to be able to fly close to objects, have enough fine control without the drone over or under reacting.
Same here👍
After messing with exp & gimbal settings I realised the best way (for me) to learn smooth fly around any object is to putt everything in default. Thats how my fingers, my muscle memory will learn most subtle mooves. After hours and hours of flight I have adjusted gimbal settings just in C mode and again- trained with that for at least 20 hours of flight. After that, it was the time to mess with exp settings. Now my exp numbers are 0.1/0.1/0.1 for C/N modes (couse you can't differentiate those two) and 0.5/0.4/0.5 for S mode.
I'm pleased with the results👍

Reactions: Faster
Same here👍
After messing with exp & gimbal settings I realised the best way (for me) to learn smooth fly around any object is to putt everything in default. Thats how my fingers, my muscle memory will learn most subtle mooves. After hours and hours of flight I have adjusted gimbal settings just in C mode and again- trained with that for at least 20 hours of flight. After that, it was the time to mess with exp settings. Now my exp numbers are 0.1/0.1/0.1 for C/N modes (couse you can't differentiate those two) and 0.5/0.4/0.5 for S mode.
I'm pleased with the results👍
Thanks for letting me know how you have your settings set. I’ve been alternating between my Mavic 2 pro and my mini 2 and find that I have much better/finer control on the Mavic 2. I also discovered that I had the smoothness on the yaw too high. I was trying to get my mini 2 lined up to make a straight run along the line close to the ground in between objects. As I was trying to get alignment the yaw would overshoot in both directions telling me that I needed to dial back the smootheness control but maybe slow down the yaw speed.

Reactions: Pile
Thanks for letting me know how you have your settings set. I’ve been alternating between my Mavic 2 pro and my mini 2 and find that I have much better/finer control on the Mavic 2. I also discovered that I had the smoothness on the yaw too high. I was trying to get my mini 2 lined up to make a straight run along the line close to the ground in between objects. As I was trying to get alignment the yaw would overshoot in both directions telling me that I needed to dial back the smootheness control but maybe slow down the yaw speed.
Yap, yaw smoothness tends to continue movement and you need a lot of practice to center some object properly.
It's a bit easier when yaw & pitch smoothness are same numbers, in my case from 16-20 in C mode. A bit softer stop, but not too much 👍

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb