DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 drifting to the right and drifting to the right when braking

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I just need help figuring out rather I need to calibrate anything, or it's just the wind. I don't want to calibrate anything unnessesarily. I started off from the front door of my grandma's house, I flew around the area before doing a little exploration of the neighborhood, then I lowered it as I approached the parking lot. As I went full stick foward, there was roll drift to the right during foward flight and braking. Is it the IMU compass, or the wind making me paranoid?
The issue starts here. Screenshot_20230408-124223_Airdata UAV.jpg
(Give me a moment while I get the link to the logs.)

One second...

Attachments

• Apr-7th-2023-07-36PM-Flight-Airdatacsv.zip
    380.1 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Did that csv come straight from a freebie Airdata account or is it perhaps from a paid account? If from a freebie account how did you get it, please?
It differs from the ones from my freebie account, it's much bigger and more detailed than 'mine'.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoomerMark
Did that csv come straight from a freebie Airdata account or is it perhaps from a paid account? If from a freebie account how did you get it, please?
It differs from the ones from my freebie account, it's much bigger and more detailed than 'mine'.
I went onto the AirData website, not the app and downloaded the CSV, then uploaded it to phantom help, then from phantom help I downloaded the CSV. A pro gamer move if I do say so myself.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
That's interesting. I didn't know Phantomhelp could process csv's, nice catch. Thank you.

Just for comparison could you download the "Original" (which is the original .txt flight log) from Airdata then upload that to Phantomhelp and post the link here, please?

What period of time does the ringed section represent? I.e. from x-min:y-sec to z-min:q-sec? The log seems to be 11:10 long so I don't know where the 12:41 comes into play.

A quick skim through the log seems to show a disparity between the gimbal's heading and the drone's heading of between 10 and 21 deg.
Going by the screen that would make it seem the drone was moving/drifting sideways.
You have encountered this problem before I think.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
What period of time does the ringed section represent? I.e. from x-min:y-sec to z-min:q-sec? The log seems to be 11:10 long so I don't know where the 12:41 comes into play.
I don't know what all of that means...

7:27

A quick skim through the log seems to show a disparity between the gimbal's heading and the drone's heading of between 10 and 21 deg.
Going by the screen that would make it seem the drone was moving/drifting sideways.
You have encountered this problem before I think.
I forgot to tell you that when I let go of the sticks, the drone stops but goes sideways before correcting itself.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Can you post the URL for the Phantomhelp page please? It would be a lot easier to follow what happening with the aid of their replay.

Can you post the URL for the Phantomhelp page please? It would be a lot easier to follow what happening with the aid of their replay.
Phantomhelp.com

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
From 1:32 to 2:36 did you notice any drift?
With regards to the section between 7:24 and 9:14 are you by any chance talking about drift after you have performed a flat moving turn, it's quite normal for that to happen, like driving a car on sheet ice, it takes a while to lose the original direction of travel so the car/drone move 'sideways'. If you wish to counter that you need to add roll/bank 'into' the corner. To be honest I don't see anything 'off' about those horizontal flights, the drone appears to be moving in the direction its pointed.

Can you give the time stamps for where you think it was drifting when you released the sticks.
As I mentioned earlier, there seems to be a disparity between where the drone's nose was pointing and where the gimbal was pointing.
This would give you the impression that the drone was drifting but it's a false impression. To take it to the extreme, imagine you could turn the gimbal to look sideways, pure forward or reverse stick would then give the impression that the drone was flying sideways.

If you really want test it first visually check whether the camera is pointing in the same direction as the drone, If it isn't there is some adjustment in the app. Start recording and then fly a long path using ONLY elevator, do not touch the rudder or aileron. Stop the drone at the end of the path turn the drone and perhaps use the RTH function to aim the drone at you, cancel the RTH and use ONLY the elevator to fly it back towards you, do not touch the rudder or aileron.
Curved flights and messing with the rudder and aileron make it difficult to see what is happening.

Last edited:
From 1:32 to 2:36 did you notice any drift?
With regards to the section between 7:24 and 9:14 are you by any chance talking about drift after you have performed a flat moving turn, it's quite normal for that to happen, like driving a car on sheet ice, it takes a while to lose the original direction of travel so the car/drone move 'sideways'. If you wish to counter that you need to add roll/bank 'into' the corner. To be honest I don't see anything 'off' about those horizontal flights, the drone appears to be moving in the direction its pointed.

Can you give the time stamps for where you think it was drifting when you released the sticks.
As I mentioned earlier, there seems to be a disparity between where the drone's nose was pointing and where the gimbal was pointing.
This would give you the impression that the drone was drifting but it's a false impression. To take it to the extreme, imagine you could turn the gimbal to look sideways, pure forward or reverse stick would then give the impression that the drone was flying sideways.

If you really want test it first visually check whether the camera is pointing in the same direction as the drone, If it isn't there is some adjustment in the app. Start recording and then fly a long path using ONLY elevator, do not touch the rudder or aileron. Stop the drone at the end of the path turn the drone and perhaps use the RTH function to aim the drone at you, cancel the RTH and use ONLY the elevator to fly it back towards you, do not touch the rudder or aileron.
Curved flights and messing with the rudder and aileron make it difficult to see what is happening.
I flew today, when I stopped to hover, the drone made a weird twitchy dance... I'll post the flight logs to that in a second

Have you looked at the replay on Phantomhelp?
If so are you moving the control sticks as frequently as indicated?
If so I did suggest that you should fly a distance using ONLY the elevator and not touching the rudder or aileron, at the end of the outbound flight turn the drone towards home via the RTH function, once the drone is aimed at the home point cancel the RTH and using ONLY the elevator and not touching the rudder or aileron bring the drone back to the homepoint.

If you DID NOT use the joysticks as frequently as shown then calibrate the remote controller and then try the above.

I would suggest that instead of downloading the csv from Airdata you should download the file that shows up when you click on the word "Original", that is the original ,txt flightlog. Then upload that txt to Phantomhelp.

Attachments

• for Kywon.png
    for Kywon.png
    266.8 KB · Views: 7
  • for Kywon stick inputs.png
    for Kywon stick inputs.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 7
Have you looked at the replay on Phantomhelp?
If so are you moving the control sticks as frequently as indicated?
If so I did suggest that you should fly a distance using ONLY the elevator and not touching the rudder or aileron, at the end of the outbound flight turn the drone towards home via the RTH function, once the drone is aimed at the home point cancel the RTH and using ONLY the elevator and not touching the rudder or aileron bring the drone back to the homepoint.

If you DID NOT use the joysticks as frequently as shown then calibrate the remote controller and then try the above.

I would suggest that instead of downloading the csv from Airdata you should download the file that shows up when you click on the word "Original", that is the original ,txt flightlog. Then upload that txt to Phantomhelp.
I'll have to fly again and see what the results are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara