DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 flew away into some trees - log/video inside

Meta4, I assume you are talking about "RC mode", column BV in the csv. I have looked at a number of my Mini 2 csv's and in quite a few the value changes during a flight and ranges from 0 to 2. That I am aware of none of my flights have had a problem.
I am using a MacBook at the moment, when I get on my window/linux laptop I can possibly come up with better results if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meta4, I assume you are talking about "RC mode" column BV in the csv. I have looked at a number of my Mini 2 csv's and in quite a few the value changes and ranges from 0 to 2. None of my flights have had a problem that I am aware of. I am using a MacBook at the moment, when I get on my window/linux laptop I can possibly come up with better results if you like.
It's equal in my own logs also ... in a similar way as it was in this incident log --> Post #18 don't think it's relevant for the outcome of this incident

Ok ......... aaahhh I had missed that post, so you think column BV is actually the drone's flight mode rather than the controller's stick mode?

Ok I will fly a couple of test flights and see if I can see a pattern.

EDIT

Flown, it equals flight mode i.e tripod/cine, normal, sport as suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meta4, I assume you are talking about "RC mode", column BV in the csv. I have looked at a number of my Mini 2 csv's and in quite a few the value changes during a flight and ranges from 0 to 2. That I am aware of none of my flights have had a problem.
I am using a MacBook at the moment, when I get on my window/linux laptop I can possibly come up with better results if you like.
It was confusion on my part.
I confused joystick mode with RC mode.

I never enjoy seeing a crash thread, but I do enjoy seeing people (the experts) trying to decipher what happened to cause the crash. Just viewing alone it was odd as it was stable then something had to fail given the shake/wobble of the video (gimbal), then it took a bee line straight for the trees. Hope DJI covers this fully!

Reactions: MTO
Just a question about the short crash video.
At 44/45 seconds there is something brown that appears top left of center for those 2 seconds. Anyway to identify what that is?
The drone goes down immediately after that blip of brown.
Maybe a wire/ tree branch?
I pretty sure that was your front left blades coming into camera view. The drone was heading down and left and the gimbal was hyperflexing to keep up with the angle. Then you see it snap downwards a few degrees which is a failsafe built into the drone to try to prevent damage to the gimbal.

Reactions: Skwirl
I'm no expert but could it have lost control from flying it from inside the vehicle?
It can't be signal interference because if it loses signal it returns to home, but it might be the compass acting up, if you powered it on inside the vehicle or near it, the compass might glitch. That happened to me one time with a non-DJI drone, I powered it near metal and on takeoff it switched into ATTI mode, got it safely recovered. But it can happen to any GPS drone, including DJI.

Reactions: careless
Here's a render of the video with data, to have a different perspective:

At 33 seconds you can see how the drone yaws to the left but that is not reflected in the data (as @slup said). The turn to the left looks more abrupt than the left thumbstick movement, so maybe it was caused by an imu or magnetic problem?

Immediately after it starts shaking and at 42 seconds it starts moving slightly backwards, then to the left. The GPS data shows it moving east and then south. The GPS signal (number of satellites) is good at that point. If it is trying to hold its previous position, that would explain why it keeps sliding to the left, as it thinks that's where the previous position is, based on the recorded coordinates and the (incorrect) yaw.

As the coordinates keep changing south, the drone starts to pitch forward to correct for that as well (it thinks it's looking north) and draws the arc from @slup 's post.

Inputs to the left stick do not seem to have any effect at that point.

I hope this is useful.

...Inputs to the left stick do not seem to have any effect at that point.
That's usually the case when the IMU have become confused about the heading direction ... no matter if it's due to a yaw error from a magnetic disturbed compass at power on or a IMU error.

Reactions: 0Kajuna0

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929