DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 has gone crazy. Please help

David Smith

Reactions
Hi Gang. Please can you advise on this problem? The drone connects. And off it goes. Less than one minute into its flight. The screen goes blank. I lose all control. It's as if I have pressed the button on the side of the android phone to put it into sleep mode. I press the sleep button again. And up comes all my usual apps. I tap the DJI icon. The app opens again. I tap 'connect aircraft'. And I've connected again. The drone was hovering where it lost signal. And I tapped 'Return to home' Which it then does. But the screen goes blank again on my Samsung A12 Android device when it's returning home. I'm so pleased that works ok. There's more. Please bear with me.
All the controls are very erratic. When I want to turn right or left. Or yaw to the right and left. It doesn't do anything for a second or two. Then it catches up, and turns/yaws very fast. Finally, when I put the SD card into the computer. even though it says "One file downloaded" I get a message saying "can't play this file" You may have the wrong Codec setting. I have no idea what that means. Or how to fix it. The video is viewable in the cashe. WTF?
I know there is a lot there for anyone to answer. But if you could just help with part of the question, that would help. Just to point out. I'm still using the original double-ended type connecter from the controller to the android device. Battery/ handset and mobile device, are all fully charged up.
Thanks Dave

Hello David:

Sorry to hear of the troubles. I had some problems with my Mini 2 losing connection a couple of months ago - two of those times connection was lost and I couldn’t reconnect at all. Both times the drone successfully returned to home on it’s own, but landed several yards away - causing me to scurry about with it’s landing pad in the brush.

I never figured out the problem, but all returned to normal after a couple of weeks with a couple of firmware and Fly Ap updates. I wish I’d kept some notes of the actual dates and firmware/software versions but I did not.

Good luck,

Howard

Have you checked that controller and the drone have all updates?I could be wrong, but it seems to me that all the problems I hear about like this are on android phones

Sounds like you have a problem with the tablet as well. If the app is closing that does not affect the drone controls. The drone can fly without the app opening. If you have a problem with the controls, check your firmware. Also, you can recalibrate the control.

My recommendation is to use the DJI Assistant 2 app to reload the firmware and calibrate everything.

Firstly open the app to its front page. There touch "Profile" and let the resulting page sit for a few seconds until the left hand side of that page is populated with data, then touch "more". That will bring up your flight records.
For the date on which you flew this flight are there more separate flight shown than you would expect?
I have just done a test flight, one single flight, where I shut down the app two or more times, disconnected the phone from the controller once but left the app running and finally switched the phone off and on and restarted the app.
The drone was in the air during all this and I have 4 separate logs for the flight. This was to check how many logs were created, nothing else.

If you look at the web page
you will see instruction on how to access the .txt flight logs, I would suggest you download ALL the .txt flight logs for this troublesome flight and then, one by one, upload them to the above web page, ( DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help)
As each upload succeeds you will be given the opportunity to copy the address for the webpage that presents a depiction of the just uploaded flight log, copy and paste that address into a note or text file on your computer.
When you have all the addresses for the whole flight paste them in a reply on here.

Note there is an upload limits with Phantomhelp of 10? logs per 48 hrs ? If the logs for the flight are broken into more chunks than the limit just paste the links for what you can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a problem with my M2 over the weekend, but not quite this. The controller was fine, never lost connection but when I launched it acted like it was in ATTI mode and was going where it wanted and I had to keep correcting. I think it might have been that I was launching off an outdoor bbq top with too much metal around. When I moved to grass it was much better. I had to do a compass recalibrate but that's not unusual if I don't use it for a while. Was fine the next day at the beach in higher winds...which was not unexpected...

You probably had complete control but no screen. Sounds like overloaded cpu either from too many apps running in the background or device that won’t run the new Fly updates. You mentioned the lag but that is only what you see on screen, the mini is responding normally but not the video. If the drone is in view, vlos, you can just fly home without device, RTH will work also. Had to upgrade my device for exact same reason.

I had a similar problem when my Samsung s7 was low on storage. Put in a large tf card and used that for the video cache and haven't had a single dji fly app crash since.

Glad your getting help. I fly my MP's with the apple Mini 4 tablet, and my Mini 2 use my Iphone 11 phone, No issues what's so ever with either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFC