DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Jello video due to bad propellers. (Was: bad Video due to Firmware issues)

W6DOQ

Reactions
I recently updated my Mini 2's firmware to v01.02.0300. Prior to the update, it had been working fine (if it ain't broke...).

After the update, I get some sporadic issues with the camera. Some of these are not noticeable in the DJI Fly app while shooting since I'm looking at a small screen. Other times, the issue is very noticeable in the DJI Fly app.

Here are 2 samples:

This is an example of the subtle issue. There's a "rippling" on the video from top to bottom. It's more visible when the shot is not moving, like around :49 seconds in.

This was just bad. I saw the video like this in the DJI Fly App. When I first saw it, I thought there was an issue with the wireless link but this is how the original file from the microSD looks.

Anyone else experience this ? I am opening a case with DJI on this, but I thought others should be aware.

That's what we call a "jello effect" ... it has most likely nothing to do with that you updated the firmware, just a coincidence. A slow SD-card will create frame skips not what's seen here. The reason for jello is high frequent vibrations ... which in combination with a rolling shutter (which we have in our drones) creates these effects.

Jello is more or less always there to some minor extent & can be mitigated by either introduce some motion blur by using a slower shutter speed (ND-filters can be needed for that) or/and increase the FPS.

In your clips the jello is really way over the top ... check so the gimbal attachment is OK & check the props, something is creating excessive vibrations.

Reactions: Thomas B
That's what we call a "jello effect" ... it has most likely nothing to do with that you updated the firmware, just a coincidence. A slow SD-card will create frame skips not what's seen here. The reason for jello is high frequent vibrations ... which in combination with a rolling shutter (which we have in our drones) creates these effects.

Jello is more or less always there to some minor extent & can be mitigated by either introduce some motion blur by using a slower shutter speed (ND-filters can be needed for that) or/and increase the FPS.

In your clips the jello is really way over the top ... check so the gimbal attachment is OK & check the props, something is creating excessive vibrations.
This has a ND16 filter on it. But I do think it's the props. See my reply below.

I agree it’s jello effect, how are the propellers? Any damage, crashes?

I did have a minor accident last week when one of my propellers clipped the leg of a chair upon landing. I have a spares kit so I'll try swapping them out.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll change these today and do a test flight if there's still some daylight.

Update: Changed out the propellers today and did another test flight over the same location:

What a huge difference changing the props makes ! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'll change the title of the thread as my issue was clearly not firmware related.

I try to make sure I do a Prop check with my pre flight, even though I have not hit anything with my Mini 2, Just a habit I got into doing with my two other cheaper drones. Because where I live we have many insects, birds, etc. That may come into contact with drone or props during flights. So Far I have not had any prop issues on any of my drones, But it is bound to happen at some point. But If I find a nicked prop I will change them out just to avoid any kind of issue during flight.

Reactions: cc_jim
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00