DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 now or wait for mini 3?

The original Mavic Mini was a good product, but is somewhat anemic. It has Wi-Fi for communications, not OcuSync. Like all craft that use WiFi, the range is limited to about a half mile. Price was the ONLY attraction.
I'm happy with mine. I bought it because I wanted a sub-250g drone for shots where I can't fly my Mavic 2, and it's done that nicely.

Range isn't a factor because in Canada we're limited to the lesser of 500 m or VLOS, and frankly I lose sight of it at around 300 m.

Occusync would have been nice, mostly so I could use my smart controller, but what I really want is panorama capacity like my Mavic 2. I can manage shooting manually (did it for years with the Phantom) but it's a nice convenience.

Was in the same boat myself but fella round the corner from me had the Combo set for sale on Marketplace for £475 including refresh and only a few months old, it had only 14k and 66 mins flight time so I jumped on it.

Looking forward seeing what I can get up to with this little pocket rocket.

Reactions: CLAYB.7
plus the fact if you might be waiting for dji to release the sdk to be used for litchi or other 3rd party controls, the mini 2 will be closer to that than waiting for the mini 3

I fly a MM2 and it's a great little aircraft. Its quick and responsive and take great videos and photos. I upgraded it from a MM1 when DJI made the MM2 and the smart controller compatible as I already had a smart controller. If and when they release a mini 3, it will leave people thinking that they should wait for the mini 4. Technology is always ahead of what currently available. By the time they release a mini 3, the 4 will undoubtedly be in the works already. IMHO, the MM2 won't disappoint if a great sub 250g drone is what you're in the market for.

Reactions: scoble08
Those dates are someone fooling you with their guessing.
Even DJI has no idea when they will be releasing anything more than a couple of months out.
Trying to hold out for release of mini 3, hopefully April. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Hi all

So I have decided to go for a sub 250g drone but seeing as the mini 2 was released nearly a year ago (after only a year between that and the original mini) and we have the likes of Hubsan zino Pro putting pressure on DJI surely the mini 3 can't be far off?

Anyone else in the same boat right now? I have been here before buying things only to have the next one arrive just after for the same price.

When do we think the mini 3 will arrive? Do you think there will be more of a gap between the 2 and 3 due to the SE?
Hi Legend,

The only thing you can be 100% sure off is that every Mini3 "release-guess-date" will be wrong! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JWray
I had the same question. Just added mini 2 so I can have some indoor fun. With the turmoil in the world I could see chip production hitting a snag again and it could be a while before the mini 3 comes out. Plus with more features to compete with the Nano + it will definitely be more expensive. Mini 2 with prop guards = lots of indoor fun.

I had the same question. Just added mini 2 so I can have some indoor fun. With the turmoil in the world I could see chip production hitting a snag again and it could be a while before the mini 3 comes out. Plus with more features to compete with the Nano + it will definitely be more expensive. Mini 2 with prop guards = lots of indoor fun.
the mini 2 is a great drone ... I don't feel the need to upgrade to mini 3

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3