DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Propellor protectors - Worth getting for a beginner?

My son got a Mini 2 for Christmas four days ago....with prop protectors. Decided he didn't like payload mode...too limiting....and wanted to show his friend the new drone in a nearby park. Hit a tree, drone plummeted, and now it's in a box waiting to be shipped back to DJI for repairs.

I'd say use them until you don't need them. Nothing worse than the look on my son's face when he brought the unflyable drone home today.

Nearly 2 year old thread, but . . .

Payload mode would have prevented this most likely, it's really designed for indoor or close obstacle riddled outdoor use, such as a forest of tree trunks.
Slow flight is needed for prop guards to work, a slight bump on a wall or tree trunk etc.

Sad for the lad, I bet his heart was heavy from that . . . but if he hit the tree with any sort of speed, the guards do little to protect props or other that will break.

Nearly 2 year old thread, but . . .

Payload mode would have prevented this most likely, it's really designed for indoor or close obstacle riddled outdoor use, such as a forest of tree trunks.
Slow flight is needed for prop guards to work, a slight bump on a wall or tree trunk etc.

Sad for the lad, I bet his heart was heavy from that . . . but if he hit the tree with any sort of speed, the guards do little to protect props or other that will break.
And fine branches and small bare branches can get in there through the guard and attack props anyway. But the way I fly I've had to replace two blades just from flying in the backyard. Parts of the DJI guard are a bit weak, like the clips that hold it on. I guess they were trying to get the weight down as much as possible.

Last edited:
And fine branches and small bare branches can get in there through the guard and attack props anyway. But the way I fly I've had to replace two blades just from flying in the backyard. Parts of the DJI guard a a bit weak, like the clips that hold it on. I guess they were trying to get the weight down as much as possible.

That’s correct for sure.
The guards are only for larger surfaces as mentioned, building walls, tree trunks, etc.
There are cages for some early model drones, and they can see (for example) an older M1P land on top of a fine foliage bush, sit there, and take off again.
These haven’t been made for most of the more recent DJI drones though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair