DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Range Test

KentMichael

Reactions
I think that the Mini 2 did quite well compared to the Mavic Mini here. 15,000 ft is great range compared to my old Mini 2 that barely made 10,000 ft. However, I average around 12,000 feet with my Mini 2 before having to fly back. A respectable distance, but I want to squeeze every single feet that my drone can fly. I know that factors such as wind can affect the flight time, and I know that the battery is the one that is actually limiting this. Is there any way to be able to reach or even smash that 10km barrier by supplying more power to the drone or maybe some flying strategy that I don't know about?

Heres just a few more for ya.

I think that the Mini 2 did quite well compared to the Mavic Mini here. 15,000 ft is great range compared to my old Mini 2 that barely made 10,000 ft. However, I average around 12,000 feet with my Mini 2 before having to fly back. A respectable distance, but I want to squeeze every single feet that my drone can fly. I know that factors such as wind can affect the flight time, and I know that the battery is the one that is actually limiting this. Is there any way to be able to reach or even smash that 10km barrier by supplying more power to the drone or maybe some flying strategy that I don't know about?

Flew my Mini 2 yesterday in near perfect conditions, got to 12,000 ft when decided to come home for battery considerations, got home with 6% left. Also flew in sport mode entire time, I think sport mode takes more battery.

Since I’m still waiting for my Mini II I don’t have any practical experience but I wonder why people so obsessed with how far away one can fly their drone?
Good question, if you fly from one location all the time, you soon grow weary of seeing the same landscape again and again. Flying out and watching your battery gives an extra dimension to your drone experience, especially to seeing landscape you've never seen from 200+ altitude. :)

Since I’m still waiting for my Mini II I don’t have any practical experience but I wonder why people so obsessed with how far away one can fly their drone?
Because it's the challenge that makes it fun.

Why do people drive souped up cars as fast as they can in an oval track?

Because it's the challenge that makes it fun.

Why do people drive souped up cars as fast as they can in an oval track?
Personally, I don't care about range till BVLOS is legal. Otherwise...1500-2000ft is way more than I need. :)

I'm sure it isn't without risk. One taking that risk should accept that, just as a racer in my analogy takes the risk he might crash.

The complaints often come from thinking it's a fault of the system, until experts here analyze the logs and determine it is pilot error.
Personally I find I'm just as likely to make a mistake VLOS as I am FPV. My first major crash with my P3A was VLOS depth perception where I thought I was past the overhead utility wires crossing my driveway when in fact I was under them. FPV wasn't any better or worse.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and GlenM
I'm sure it isn't without risk. One taking that risk should accept that, just as a racer in my analogy takes the risk he might crash.

The complaints often come from thinking it's a fault of the system, until experts here analyze the logs and determine it is pilot error.
Personally I find I'm just as likely to make a mistake VLOS as I am FPV. My first major crash with my P3A was VLOS depth perception where I thought I was past the overhead utility wires crossing my driveway when in fact I was under them. FPV wasn't any better or worse.
Yes, but your situational awareness is much better VLOS than that gained from the limited FPV offered by the camera.

Yes, but your situational awareness is much better VLOS than that gained from the limited FPV offered by the camera.
That's the claim. My only M2P drowning came during VLOS at night while trying to film bioluminescence in the surf, after turning off the FPV to avoid night blindness, and simultaneously forgoing the FPV telemetry that would have made it obvious that I was far closer to the surface of the water than was apparent relying solely upon VLOS! An optical illusion was created flying VLOS that only the FPV telemetry could have saved me from. 1608535338746.gif

By situational awareness, he means with other aircrafts. I get that, but even then I needed FPV to determine altitude and distance relative to me of a helicopter flying near shore. Up until I saw the helicopter in FPV, I didn't know which way I should go. Even descending was in question as I wasn't sure if he was higher or lower than me, or if he was heading towards my position.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J