Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 Range test under windy conditions - with Telemetry

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
I range test my DJI Mini 2 yesterday under 12mph winds and 18 Mph wind gust. The Wind direction was headwind.
I used as always my spotters (thanks my wife and my brother) from the ground to keep maintain VLOS.

The Occusync signal is very strong and this is a big improvement from the MM1. I guess now the limit is the battery, just like the MA2.
Sorry for the video quality, but was early in the morning, very cloudy, having the sun at front making the sky overexposure.

Even under windy conditions the DJI Mini 2 perform very well and i was able to archive over 12FT (2.2 Miles) without any signal lost.The mini 2 still has plenty of battery left after come back 32% left so still has much more to offer.

I found a problem with the DJI Mini 2 and is when you are going full forward and full down the aircraft drift to the left and it correct making the video jerky. Check on the minute 11:55 and you will understand what i mean. This is happening in Normal mode, i need to test in sport to see if still does.

Any coment is welcome.

The video is still rendering to 4K. Enjoy!!

Last edited:
That's pretty impressive. Of course wind conditions can drain batteries very quickly, and batteries discharge rate isn't linear, so I suspect real world flying 20 minutes or so would be my expectation for flight time.

My question to you, having had both Mini's... Would you say that the Mini 2 is more responsive to the controls than the Mini 1? When I compare my Mini 1 to the Mavic 2 Pro in terms of responsiveness there was not contest. I found that the Mini 1 took a lot more time to do agile maneuvers, requiring a lot more space to do "barrel turns", or just spinning the drone backwards but continuing along the same path without stopping or slowing. What do you think?

Edit: One more thing... How do you access and display the telemetry like that? It is very very cool. TIA

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Excellent range test, well done well prepared!

I really liked the background helicopter audio, coupled with control tower to plane communication that was so neat!

Well done! Definitely a fun Mini 2 range test video to watch!

Paul

That's pretty impressive. Of course wind conditions can drain batteries very quickly, and batteries discharge rate isn't linear, so I suspect real world flying 20 minutes or so would be my expectation for flight time.

My question to you, having had both Mini's... Would you say that the Mini 2 is more responsive to the controls than the Mini 1? When I compare my Mini 1 to the Mavic 2 Pro in terms of responsiveness there was not contest. I found that the Mini 1 took a lot more time to do agile maneuvers, requiring a lot more space to do "barrel turns", or just spinning the drone backwards but continuing along the same path without stopping or slowing. What do you think?

Edit: One more thing... How do you access and display the telemetry like that? It is very very cool. TIA
The MM1 have a little delay when you compare to the Mini 2 and is because the Occusync make a great difference. Now, to be honest with you, I was using my Mini 1 with the Allientech booster and this make a big difference in the delay or connectivity, so i do not suffer too much the delays. For be honest, you do not need any booster with the MM2 unless you want an even more solid connection.

The software used for the telemetry is DashWare. I did modify a DJI templates made by a DJI forum member. Also y have modified the Mavic Mini template (original) to the Mavic Air 2.

Excellent range test, well done well prepared!

I really liked the background helicopter audio, coupled with control tower to plane communication that was so neat!

Well done! Definitely a fun Mini 2 range test video to watch!

Paul
Thank you !!! I like the helicopter background as well !!!

I range test my DJI Mini 2 yesterday under 12mph winds and 18 Mph wind gust. The Wind direction was headwind.
I used as always my spotters (thanks my wife and my brother) from the ground to keep maintain VLOS.

The Occusync signal is very strong and this is a big improvement from the MM1. I guess now the limit is the battery, just like the MA2.
Sorry for the video quality, but was early in the morning, very cloudy, having the sun at front making the sky overexposure.

Even under windy conditions the DJI Mini 2 perform very well and i was able to archive over 12FT (2.2 Miles) without any signal lost.The mini 2 still has plenty of battery left after come back 32% left so still has much more to offer.

I found a problem with the DJI Mini 2 and is when you are going full forward and full down the aircraft drift to the left and it correct making the video jerky. Check on the minute 11:55 and you will understand what i mean. This is happening in Normal mode, i need to test in sport to see if still does.

Any coment is welcome.

since I only have the MM1 the video raised questions for me. Is the strip at the bottom part of the MM2 or the telemetry you used? And I didn't see any change in the two target looking symbols until it got home. What are they for? The mini 1 has small chevron showing which way the drone is pointing but I didn't see anything like that on this. How can you tell which way it's pointing?

Far as the HUD goes, I'm assuming that it takes the video subtitle, and turns it into an overlay that's more descriptive visually. Though not sure how it knows things like the battery/etc since I didn't see that info in the video subtitle unless you actually have to pull down a flight log to pair with it.

Here is the magic.
All the telemetry is base in real data from the DJI Flight logs. Then gauges are created representing the data field and synchronized with the video. The software will overlap the data on top of the video.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nice, so that essentially means I can I can take a clip, grade it the way I want to grade it, spit it out for 1080p, and overlay it with hud :p nice cine-looking footage but with information.

Nice, so that essentially means I can I can take a clip, grade it the way I want to grade it, spit it out for 1080p, and overlay it with hud :p nice cine-looking footage but with information.
The clip that you are looking is the drone footage. Its 4K. You can overlap to 4K or any grade you want. My video was horrible because the weather.

2.2m is a good result but also within capability of the original MM1. Key difference is how interference is dealt with and thats where MM2 has the upper hand. Love the overlay with telemetry, we had something similar with the Parrot Disco which is always fun to fly.

Reactions: zeusfl
And I didn't see any change in the two target looking symbols until it got home. What are they for?
If your asking about what I think you are it’s the positions of the sticks on the controller.

The software used for the telemetry is DashWare. I did modify a DJI templates made by a DJI forum member. Also y have modified the Mavic Mini template (original) to the Mavic Air 2.
I'm not sure what DashWare is, nor do I understand what kind of templates there are, how to use them and how to modify them. I've been inundated learning new software all summer: Reaper, Davinci Resolve (now learning the quirks of 17) , studying for my Part 107 (got my actual certificate today!) and... learning to fly. So, if you want to provide a tutorial for dummies, I'm open. What you showed in the video is ultra cool.

I'm not sure what DashWare is, nor do I understand what kind of templates there are, how to use them and how to modify them. I've been inundated learning new software all summer: Reaper, Davinci Resolve (now learning the quirks of 17) , studying for my Part 107 (got my actual certificate today!) and... learning to fly. So, if you want to provide a tutorial for dummies, I'm open. What you showed in the video is ultra cool.
I will made a new thread for this and share my templates. I am working creating a new video to explain how to do it.

Any coment is welcome.

Hey bud. What app do u use for that mini 2 video. That telemetry is not the DJI app.

Hey bud. What app do u use for that mini 2 video. That telemetry is not the DJI app.
It’s a overlay of telemetry on the video and he is using the Fly app.
Read the whole thread. ?

Reactions: zeusfl
Check this thread, I explain everything there.

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98