DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 UK regulations

@nathanpearce1993 yes for uninvolved people ,so if you intended to fly over a housing estate then 50m would apply, you are allowed to fly the mini2 closer than 50m over involved people such as taking photos at a wedding

Hi does the mini 2 still come under the 50m from persons or property rule in the uk?
As I understand it, you can fly over uninvolved persons, there is no minimum separation distance and it doesn't matter whether you are flying in residential, industrial, commercial or recreational areas. Check for flight restricted zones (FRZ).

As usual Old Man Mavic is the person to turn to for the correct answer. The only difficulty comes with deciding who is involved or not . For instance if a stranger approaches you and asks about your drone and you are engaged in conversation is that person then exempt from the 50mts rule.
A grey area I think

Reactions: old man mavic
@sprill22 the reference you showed in your post #6 is a recent amendment to the under 250g rules ,and while i accept that it could be argued ,that you can just go out and fly anywhere you like,just because you can ,does not necessarily mean that it is applicable in all situations
i would never dream of flying at 10 ft above my neighbors garden ,but it seems that the rules say i could if i wanted too,with my MM
as far as the MM and Mini2 are concerned, then for me the location i am flying at is what determines how close to people or structures i get
the real benefits will come when the new C rated drones become available ,then with my A2 Cof C i will be able to fly much closer to uninvolved people than i do now in the A2 category
then of course dont forget the 1 to 1 rule so at 20ft high you have to stay 20ft from your subject
all these rules are open to interpretation ,and finally, whenever or wherever you are flying , you have to do so in a safe manner and not put others in danger whatever size of drone you fly

@sprill22 the reference you showed in your post #6 is a recent amendment to the under 250g rules ,and while i accept that it could be argued ,that you can just go out and fly anywhere you like,just because you can ,does not necessarily mean that it is applicable in all situations
i would never dream of flying at 10 ft above my neighbors garden ,but it seems that the rules say i could if i wanted too,with my MM
as far as the MM and Mini2 are concerned, then for me the location i am flying at is what determines how close to people or structures i get
the real benefits will come when the new C rated drones become available ,then with my A2 Cof C i will be able to fly much closer to uninvolved people than i do now in the A2 category
then of course dont forget the 1 to 1 rule so at 20ft high you have to stay 20ft from your subject
all these rules are open to interpretation ,and finally, whenever or wherever you are flying , you have to do so in a safe manner and not put others in danger whatever size of drone you fly

The link I posted in #7 is the authoritative view from the CAA, but we all need to recognise that in the UK life is not that simple as you say on your posts. There are landowner issues, the National Trust, English Heritage, sites of special scientific interest, your neighbours and just plain and simple those who don’t like you flying your drone anywhere near their property despite what the regulations say. That’s not to say you can’t find places to fly and enjoy your drone, just be considerate, fly to the drone code and be safe.

@MAvic_South_Oz right now the bulk of our rules in the UK are based on the EASA drone rules that the EU uses ,with a few subtle differences ,such as minimum age for drone flying and test requirements,but you are right that we will be able in the fullness of time, to be able to make our own rules for how drones are flown in the UK

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
@MAvic_South_Oz right now the bulk of our rules in the UK are based on the EASA drone rules that the EU uses ,with a few subtle differences ,such as minimum age for drone flying and test requirements,but you are right that we will be able in the fullness of time, to be able to make our own rules for how drones are flown in the UK

Does the UK have the camera rule, even for under 250g ?
That one sort of rules out sub 250 (in EU) as it's capable of recording photos or video.

@MAvic_South_Oz because it has a camera on it it just has to display an operator ID ,of course there is nothing stopping someone being upset if they object to being filmed ,but it all comes back to common sense, if you are flying at 150ft plus then the camera is not going to pick out someones features clear enough to identify them in the video ,the biggest advantage of the MM is the fact that you can overfly people ,i have had a few occasions where people have approached me during a flight to ask if i am filming as i fly around ,and when i have shown them the picture i am receiving on my device screen ,they have realised that their image is unrecognisable as they have passed by ,if i were to ever put any of my images on social media ,which apart from the odd photo i post on this forum i do not do, then of course i would seek the permission from those people to do so ,it is a fact, that sometimes people are more concerned about the camera on the drone,than the actual drone itself,

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Aye, I answered the original question regarding CAP 722, Open A1 Category. I agree with your concern and speaking for myself, no, I wouldn't fly over a neighbour's 'garden' at a low height without permission, it would be intrusive. The interpretation of trespass and nuisance of flights is here, https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/16/section/76.
Liability of aircraft in respect of trespass, nuisance and surface damage.
(1) No action shall lie in respect of trespass or in respect of nuisance, by reason only of the flight of an aircraft over any property at a height above the ground which, having regard to wind, weather and all the circumstances of the case is reasonable ...
So, no action if at a 'reasonable' height above ground? I'd also take into consideration Article 241, 'A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property'. I'm guessing that legislation has yet to be tested, I wouldn't want to go first. Best of luck with the A2 C of C.

@sprill22 thanks for your reply i obtained my A2 C of C last year in November in anticipation of the new rules and drones ,and also to increase my knowledge base for flying my drones ,and to allow me to fly in the A2 open category with my MPP which by the time the legacy period expires at the end of 2022 will be 5 years old and will probably be getting to the end of its life , especially with battery replacement ,and other consumables,,then i will still have another 3 years of my A2 C of C left ,before i need to renew it in November 2025

Reactions: sprill22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000