DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 veering and yawning to left/right during foward flight

Have you crashed this drone?
I ask because in places the log reports a difference between the drone's heading and the gimbal's heading of 29+deg. According to the manual the max is ±20deg and physically fiddling with the gimbal of a mini 2 it looks/feels like the gimbal hits rotation stops at around ±20deg.

Have you crashed this drone?
I ask because in places the log reports a difference between the drone's heading and the gimbal's heading of 29+deg. According to the manual the max is ±20deg and physically fiddling with the gimbal of a mini 2 it looks/feels like the gimbal hits rotation stops at around ±20deg.
It was never crashed

The feeling of that the drone drifts is very much real in this flight... not from start though.

The IMU yaw & the gimbal yaw follows each other very well to begin with, just a couple degrees difference... but at 136,2s the difference suddenly goes to approx 22 degrees which is maintained the rest of the flight. The odd thing is that they start to deviate suddenly with no apparent reason... absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happens there.

The visual effect is that the drone veers off to the left in each straight forward command.

The TXT log will unfortunately not reveal any cause to this sudden deviation... I would try to replicate this in a flight without all those collision lights to remove the possibility that they disturb the compass in some way. Also make sure that the gimbal is properly calibrated & really pointing in the same direction as the Mini 2 (you might need to manually adjust a gimbal calibration several degrees to get the camera to point in the drone direction), also redo the compass calibration without the lights on.

View attachment 159486
I test flew it this morning after calibrating everything. Did it fix it? DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

When it comes to the earlier IMU yaw & Gimbal deviation it's gone in this flight... just deviates 1-2 degrees.

1673793316224.png

The Mini 2 veers off to the right below... you have only elevator for forward flight applied but the AC goes slightly right anyway. The Roll angle is to the left (negative)... the chart covers the hand drawn yellow line in the map & blue AC symbol right where the chart marker is placed at 74,8s, there you try to counter with a negative aileron command.

1673793632492.png

My guess to this is the wind... the Mini 2 goes off in the wind direction according to below.

1673793714498.png

Reactions: SeaPig
When it comes to the earlier IMU yaw & Gimbal deviation it's gone in this flight... just deviates 1-2 degrees.

View attachment 159520

The Mini 2 veers off to the right below... you have only elevator for forward flight applied but the AC goes slightly right anyway. The Roll angle is to the left (negative)... the chart covers the hand drawn yellow line in the map & blue AC symbol right where the chart marker is placed at 74,8s, there you try to counter with a negative aileron command.

View attachment 159521

My guess to this is the wind... the Mini 2 goes off in the wind direction according to below.

View attachment 159522
I wish I had some of the software you and meta4 uses to see charts like this... I wouldn't mind cracking other people's fly-aways cases like you and meta 4 do... It looks like fun...
It was windy a bit but I took it as a imu issue and got worried it would uncontrollably start veering so hard it would be unrecoverable. So I panicked and flew it back

I wish I had some of the software you and meta4 uses to see charts like this... I wouldn't mind cracking other people's fly-aways cases like you and meta 4 do... It looks like fun...
It was windy a bit but I took it as a imu issue and got worried it would uncontrollably start veering so hard it would be unrecoverable. So I panicked and flew it back
CsvView Downloads ..................... but you need a Windows computer.

I was interested in this problem and messed with my log book program, it process ALL the csvs for my flight logs. I am still checking that it works correctly but it looks like I see occasional differences between drone yaw and gimbal yaw with every drone ............ including the FPV and the FPV gimbal does not yaw wrt the drone, it only pitches.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22