Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 veering and yawning to left/right during foward flight

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
• The imu and compass was calibrated recently

• There are anti collision lights on all sides of the drone (to explain the flashing of light bouncing off sign reflections)

• The firmware is updated

This is the second mini 2 this happened to me. It's not as bad but I find it ridiculous, being the second mini 2 that has this issue (that thank god isn't that bad)

(One second while I post the flight logs)

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2023-01-12_[18-18-27]log.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Your log on phantomhelp = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
The log suggests that the gimbal and drone are quite frequently not pointing in the same direction or close to the same direction.

Download the csv from phantom help and look at the columns with the titles OSD.yaw, GIMBAL.yaw, OSD.yaw [360], GIMBAL.yaw [360].

I would be inclined to check this visually and try a manually triggered recalibration of the gimbal.....if you can.
There is, from memory, a limited manual adjustment available in the app but you will have to look through the app for that or google it.
If that doesn't fix the problem then if this is a new drone under warranty I'd be inclined to contact DJI with a warranty return in mind.

The above said you seen to have a history of malfunctioning drones, it might be an idea to think about how you are handling and using them or perhaps storing them.

Last edited:
I've edited post 2, if you want "charts" then download CsvView, CsvView Downloads
and use that to process the csv downloaded from phantomhelp, then you will need to locate, in the drop down menus etc., and click on the appropriate signal channels

I've edited post 2, if you want "charts" then download CsvView, CsvView Downloads
and use that to process the csv downloaded from phantomhelp, then you will need to locate, in the drop down menus etc., and click on the appropriate signal channels
I kinda don't have a computer. 🙃

or @slup or @Meta4
But I am curious, is there something in my posts you do not understand?
Yes. I calibrated everything. It's the drone. When I fly foward, it not only yaws, but veers all by itself.

I've looked at 2 random mini 2 logs of mine and in one the VAST majority of lines the drone and gimbal headings are within ±3deg of one another.
In the other, a different drone, the vast majority were within ±6deg.

I've looked at 2 random mini 2 logs of mine and in one the VAST majority of lines the drone and gimbal headings are within ±3deg of one another.
In the other, a different drone, the vast majority were within ±6deg.
Does it show the same thing with mine?

When I fly foward, it not only yaws, but veers all by itself.
Just to be clear, in your video are the apparent heading changes (2) made by you or the drone?
Can you confirm specifically that you have calibrated the gimbal AND perhaps the controller joysticks, "everything" is a cover all and some people might know that some calibrations are possible

Last edited:
Just to be clear, in your video are the heading changes (2) made by you or the drone?
Me, I was worried I was gonna bump into something or become uncontrollable if I let it drift.

Ok, do you understand that if the camera and drone ARE NOT pointing in the same direction then, if you are looking at, and aiming by, the camera's view, pure forward stick will make the drone appear to drift sideways.
If you look at the replay on phantom help the drone alway tracks along the direction the arrowhead is pointing, it doesn't fly sideways except in the three or four places where you give it some aileron and command some sideways flight.

Reactions: SeaPig
The feeling of that the drone drifts is very much real in this flight... not from start though.

The IMU yaw & the gimbal yaw follows each other very well to begin with, just a couple degrees difference... but at 136,2s the difference suddenly goes to approx 22 degrees which is maintained the rest of the flight. The odd thing is that they start to deviate suddenly with no apparent reason... absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happens there.

The visual effect is that the drone veers off to the left in each straight forward command.

The TXT log will unfortunately not reveal any cause to this sudden deviation... I would try to replicate this in a flight without all those collision lights to remove the possibility that they disturb the compass in some way. Also make sure that the gimbal is properly calibrated & really pointing in the same direction as the Mini 2 (you might need to manually adjust a gimbal calibration several degrees to get the camera to point in the drone direction), also redo the compass calibration without the lights on.

1673727318793.png

Reactions: SeaPig and GFields
Have you contacted DJI support?

The feeling of that the drone drifts is very much real in this flight... not from start though.

The IMU yaw & the gimbal yaw follows each other very well to begin with, just a couple degrees difference... but at 136,2s the difference suddenly goes to approx 22 degrees which is maintained the rest of the flight. The odd thing is that they start to deviate suddenly with no apparent reason... absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happens there.

The visual effect is that the drone veers off to the left in each straight forward command.

The TXT log will unfortunately not reveal any cause to this sudden deviation... I would try to replicate this in a flight without all those collision lights to remove the possibility that they disturb the compass in some way. Also make sure that the gimbal is properly calibrated & really pointing in the same direction as the Mini 2 (you might need to manually adjust a gimbal calibration several degrees to get the camera to point in the drone direction), also redo the compass calibration without the lights on.

View attachment 159486
Okay, I will try again, stay tuned

View attachment 159486
To clear things, is it actually drifting, or is the gimbal misaligned?

To clear things, is it actually drifting, or is the gimbal misaligned?
The drone most probably flies straight... but the gimbal is misaligned & looking to the right of the flight direction which gives a feeling of a drone drifting to the left.

The mystery is why the IMU yaw & gimbal suddenly misaligns over 22 degrees 136,2s into the flight...

View attachment 159486
I was just confused because at first with flying forward slowly it was flying forward just fine until I went full stick

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes