DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 without mobile

You could use a tablet instead of a mobile. The Mini 2 does need the DJI Fly app to operate so any tablet used would need to be connected online when you first use the drone as it needs to register the drone to you with DJI servers as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: raymairjr
Don't have the mini 2, but I've flown my 1st generation Mavic Mini with just the controller, no phone or tablet, and it works fine that way. Took video and photos. Everything works, except you don't get the screen and all the info that goes with it. I had already registered it using a phone previously.

I assume mini 2 is the same.

The screen helps a lot, especially with framing pictures and receiving warnings about unusual conditions, so I wouldn't fly without it routinely, but it is possible.

Assuming it has been activated I think it will be range and height limited without a phone

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DanMan32
I do not know why you would want to.
It is a good question.

Mostly an academic question. I have an M2Z that I've flown a couple of times without the mobile/tablet connected and its a good option if you are just practicing.

Just done a test on this and yes you can fly the drone with only the controller and no mobile phone or tablet connected!

Although I can't check this now, I think the drone will have to previously been registered through the DJI Fly app for this to work.

Reactions: dozzn and raymairjr
A point, are people mixing up registration and activation? Do they not differ?
Does registration not concern logging into the app and therefore sort of 'registering' the app itself, rather than the drone, with DJI? i.e. if I remove the app and reinstall it I have to 'reregister' the new app for it to be usable but this process does not need the 'phone' to be connected to even the controller.
From memory a drone will not even start its motors if it has not been activated and activation is only? possible through the functioning app but once the drone has been activated it does not need the phone connected to 'fly' with whatever constraints maybe applicable.

Well, for my M2Z it seems like some flight settings are held in the app and some are also stored internally in the drone, so it must have been used at least once with the app before it can be flown without the app, or ...?

Don't have the mini 2, but I've flown my 1st generation Mavic Mini with just the controller, no phone or tablet, and it works fine that way. Took video and photos. Everything works, except you don't get the screen and all the info that goes with it. I had already registered it using a phone previously.

I assume mini 2 is the same.

The screen helps a lot, especially with framing pictures and receiving warnings about unusual conditions, so I wouldn't fly without it routinely, but it is possible.
How about its gps? Thanks

Just in case you are referring to the phone's GPS, it is not used by the drone, the drone has its own GPS 'receiver'.
The phone's GPS is used to determine the controller's location.
If, on the phone, you switch location and location services etc. off, you will not be able to reset the home point to the controller's location and, if you try it, you will likely get a message, in the app, asking you to switch location services etc. on.
At least that's what I get if I have location services switched off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lowellton
While it will fly fine without the app, there is no way to upgrade the firmware and it is impossible to know exactly what you are taking a picture or video of until you download from the memory card and review.

Of course, while you can still take pictures or video to your phone or tablet without a memory card installed in the drone, that isn't possible if there is no phone or tablet.

One thing for certain, you would be unlikely to fly BVLOS in this configuration.

Well, for my M2Z it seems like some flight settings are held in the app and some are also stored internally in the drone, so it must have been used at least once with the app before it can be flown without the app, or .
I just tried an M2Z with and without a phone, normally I have it set so that the controller's bottom buttons flip the gimbal and switch the bottom light. With out the phone neither did their stuff, with the phone connected both were back to normal. Hmmm interesting

Am I Victor Meldrew?
The only thing I thought about whilst skimming the above video was the fact that he spent so much time yabbering at the camera not watching the drone nor even the video feed.

Reactions: iglou7
Well, for my M2Z it seems like some flight settings are held in the app and some are also stored internally in the drone, so it must have been used at least once with the app before it can be flown without the app, or ...?
Should be the same or nearly the same as M2, except not having any info provided to you from the RC itself.
The RC LCD screen is one feature I love about the M2, which I believe the M1 also has.
Even with that though, it's unnerving not having an FPV view.

No flight log info either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa