the controller and the 3pro for 999 euro is just insane

flight time
wind resistance
gimbal movement options
low light performance
propellor noise
sub 250 gram

they should have called this the mavic 3 mini
Considering the RC-PRO controller alone costs more than this entire kit something tells me there will be noticeable differences in the screen brightness. For the most part, you get what you pay for. :) Hopefully I am wrong but sometimes logic prevails.

Considering the RC-PRO controller alone costs more than this entire kit something tells me there will be noticeable differences in the screen brightness. For the most part, you get what you pay for. :) Hopefully I am wrong but sometimes logic prevails.
people also believed the air2s would have better image quality due to the sensor being larger and the drone more expensive.
but as long as it’s brighter then my phone then I’m okay.
I think it lacks the anti reflective coating but brightness will be ballpark the same

That looks pretty good. I think it's helped me form a possible game plan for the future.
If I decide I want to upgrade my MIni position I would sell my Mini 2 first. I had initially contemplated keeping the Mini 2 and getting the ala carte Mini 3. But no. I can now see that I would hold my nose and write the check for the smart controller, not even necessarily for the screen, but for the extra programmable buttons that are oh so handy on the M2, though the Mini 3 SC doesn't have a 5D button, even costing so much. But the C1, C2 and extra wheel just expand what you can do without resorting to touching the screen. I am hoping that the extra USB ports will support a supplemental device that might allow a second monitor, like a phone.

It will be interesting to see how the Mini 3 images stack up against Autel's latest offerings. We know the Autel video and stills are really really good. It's just too bad that Autel, hasn't yet gotten its corporate act together. I might have been swayed that way had I had any confidence that I'd be taken care of in case something wasn't right. If I upgrade in the near future I might have to just hold my nose as I fight through DJI's geofencing issues.

people also believed the air2s would have better image quality due to the sensor being larger and the drone more expensive.
but as long as it’s brighter then my phone then I’m okay.
I think it lacks the anti reflective coating but brightness will be ballpark the same
Comparing cost value of one controller to another controller. A bit different than your example. DJI doesn’t want to kill off their top of the line controller. John Arbuckle always said “you get what you pay for.”

Comparing cost value of one controller to another controller. A bit different than your example. DJI doesn’t want to kill off their top of the line controller. John Arbuckle always said “you get what you pay for.”
True. But one thing that I can say is that when I compare the response and stick handling of my M2P and controller vs the Mini 2 and the now "standard" controller, there is no comparison. The standard controller not only has fewer buttons, but dead spots, something I don't experience with the M2's controller. I would hope that the Mini3 SC would have improved improved stick control.

The 2 wheels are excellent; you can create shots where you control both sticks while it the same time tilt the camera while zooming, that is like 5D movement lol .
It is weird that this was not already on the controller, EVEN THOUGH, you don’t need or want it, I understand yes.

this drone is looking more and more like the successor of my Anafi. Aside from not tilting up 90 degrees and doing bridge inspections, it appears to be the perfect marriage between what DJI was missing all these years, and what I already had

DJI also didn’t want to kill off the air2S, yet they still had Sony deliver their best small 2022 IMX sensor with their latest tech. instead of using Air2 parts. Which would STILL have provided excellent value

I probably shouldn't even ask this, but WHY a new controller? Why not let it pair with the RC Pro? Do they just need another reason to make it cost more?

I probably shouldn't even ask this, but WHY a new controller? Why not let it pair with the RC Pro? Do they just need another reason to make it cost more?
There is a pattern and a method and a reason. DJI is in a margin building mode. Their offerings, cross (non) compatibilities, pricing structure, packaging is evident of it.

Ocusync aside, let's compare recent controller builds. Like the phone mount position or not, the Mavic 2 controller is fully featured, with C1, C2 buttons, a 5D button, two scroll wheels all programmable. The Mini 1's controller while far more basic isn't far off, especially for a $400 drone kit. DJI's new "standard" controller is completely stripped of all the extra features of the M2, and is shipped with the Mini 2, Air2, Air2s, and stunningly the M3. The DJI RC Pro, dedicated to the Mavic 3 is (internals aside) has virtually the same programmable buttons as the M2, but adds a monitor. Essentially you're paying an additional $1200 for the monitor as the extra buttons SHOULD have been part of the M3's standard controller. But no. With a $2000+ drone they include the cheapest controller build that they make. I suppose we can be grateful that the Mini 3 will have an option of no controller at a slightly reduced price, or you can pay up for a dumbed down smart controller- whereas they could have and should have made their $1200 Smart controller compatible with the Mini 3. Perhaps they will? But perhaps not, if they can sell more units and have more margin in the Mini 3 smart controller. They know that those of us who need or want features and aren't concerned with the cost will pay up.

In the short term I'm staying put with my Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. For my needs based on how my vids and photos are used, there is not enough difference to pay up for a M3, but that could change, especially when the M3 reburbished units start to become available... or if my M2 gets destroyed. If a M3 is in my future, I dislike the "standard" controller so much I would probably hold my nose and pay for the RC controller, falling into DJI's margin building scheme. Then again, in that time frame perhaps Autel's corporate will straighten itself out?

Reactions: FLDave
The new standard controller holds an iPad mini, to some that is an improvement but DJI certainly is no charity. They make the best drones not to please us, but to fill their pockets. I think the standard controller is amazing when you look at phone mounting, range and battery life But I understand your perspective for sure!

We'll see if the RC Pro ends up working with it. I think they realized the RC Pro price point doesn't work for the cheaper (Mini and maybe Air series) drones, as you the RC Pro is almost double the price of the Mini on its own. This is a good choice to have a cheaper controller that has the most important features of the RC Pro (no phone, bright screen), but probably leaves off the full Android capabilities of the RC Pro (waiting for the detailed review of the controller)

The 2 wheels are excellent; you can create shots where you control both sticks while it the same time tilt the camera while zooming, that is like 5D movement lol .
It is weird that this was not already on the controller, EVEN THOUGH, you don’t need or want it, I understand yes.

this drone is looking more and more like the successor of my Anafi. Aside from not tilting up 90 degrees and doing bridge inspections, it appears to be the perfect marriage between what DJI was missing all these years, and what I already had
The second control wheel to control zoom is a nice feature. I'd use that a lot.

In terms of the screen, "brighter than my phone" is a pretty low bar. With my Mini-2s using the "standard" controller, with the phone on top, I have a well designed sun screen that makes it usable. For the Mini-1 and Mini-SE, with the screen below the control sticks, I have to either sit in the shade, or use my silly umbrella hat, because the screen sitting out in the sunlight unshaded is worthless.

I don't see any way that you could shade the screen on this controller, due to the placement of the screen below the control sticks, which has never made any sense to me.

My ideal controller with a built-in screen would be a mutant hybrid of the FPV controller, with it's solid handholds, and a screen grafted on top above the control sticks. The screen would either need to be sunlight readable by conventional aviation standards, or have a shade built in, or be designed for later attachment of a shade.

Still, the drone looks cool! But it will be a while before my finances recover from the $1000 that I already spent on my FPV, and the $1000 that I still "need" to spend on various FPV crap.

I have 3 Mini-2 FMCs, and I'm now once again considering selling one of them, and getting the bare-basic Mini-3 kit, since I can use the remaining Mini-2 controllers to fly it.

Progress!

The second control wheel to control zoom is a nice feature. I'd use that a lot.

In terms of the screen, "brighter than my phone" is a pretty low bar. With my Mini-2s using the "standard" controller, with the phone on top, I have a well designed sun screen that makes it usable. For the Mini-1 and Mini-SE, with the screen below the control sticks, I have to either sit in the shade, or use my silly umbrella hat, because the screen sitting out in the sunlight unshaded is worthless.

I don't see any way that you could shade the screen on this controller, due to the placement of the screen below the control sticks, which has never made any sense to me.

My ideal controller with a built-in screen would be a mutant hybrid of the FPV controller, with it's solid handholds, and a screen grafted on top above the control sticks. The screen would either need to be sunlight readable by conventional aviation standards, or have a shade built in, or be designed for later attachment of a shade.

Still, the drone looks cool! But it will be a while before my finances recover from the $1000 that I already spent on my FPV, and the $1000 that I still "need" to spend on various FPV crap.

I have 3 Mini-2 FMCs, and I'm now once again considering selling one of them, and getting the bare-basic Mini-3 kit, since I can use the remaining Mini-2 controllers to fly it.

Progress!
I have 13 pro which is 800 nits but I get your point. FPV is the best though, that is art and hobby. Normal drones are like senior citizen battery vehicles whereas the FPV is a motorbike in comparison

I have 13 pro which is 800 nits but I get your point. FPV is the best though, that is art and hobby. Normal drones are like senior citizen battery vehicles whereas the FPV is a motorbike in comparison
Yes indeed, that has been my experience with the FPV. And I'm still in Normal Mode! But after a couple of brief windows of good flying weather, cold and windy are making a strong come-back for most of the next week.

:-(

But it will eventually be better!

:)

Reactions: test2000Anafi

I think its is very, very likely the RC Pro will have / gain the ability to control the Mini 3 Pro. This is just a less feature rich screen based controller that isn't designed to also work with other DJI drones like the RC Pro is.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR