DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 forwards vs backwards speeds/wind resistance

scro

Reactions
I found it interesting to see just how backward tilted the body of the Mini3 is when in a level hover. DJI's folding drones prior to this all had the body fairly level when hovering but the Mini3 airframe seems to take a few cues from the DJI FPV drone, with the body designed to be relatively level when in forward flight.

The body of the drone is essentially a "brick" shaped box and is probably most aerodynamic with the small end facing (eg where the camera is) straight into the airflow. With the preceding folding arm design this had the drone body in its most aerodynamic attitude when its horizontal airspeed was its lowest (ie level hover), and tilted the drone body into an increasingly less aerodynamic attitude as airspeed increases. The Mini3 design angles the body so that it favours better aerodynamics when going forward. I wonder how much this affects its speed and wind resistance limits when flying backwards?

There is a thread about the design being like that so the back sensors can have FOV since there on the front of the drone. I saw a video that backwards flying created a little bit of lift as it flew backwards .'

Phatomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water .

I suspect the angled body design decision factored in both positive points - a double win.

Do you have a link to that video where backward flight was hypothesised to cause lift? It seems counterintuitive to me and I have a sneaking suspicion that what is actually happening is the heavily angled body acts like a crude airfoil and causes an increase in downthrust and the drone's motors compensate by providing more thrust. There's then a brief moment of overcompensation that could appear like lift. I've observed exactly this happening on a Mini1. However, without seeing the video and the context I'm just guessing what happens with the mini3.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair