DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 in fog and wind (video)

abruzzopat

Reactions
I've had the Mini3 for a couple months now and I'm very happy with it, especially after the past couple updates. Thought I'd post this video which shows how it handled fog and wind. In case it isn't obvious, it is VERY windy. Near the end of the video the fog magically clears away.

This is in western North Carolina on Roan Mountain.

Link to video here--> Wind and Fog

A really nice scenery, fog usually lifts a pic or video several notches Thumbswayup

Just be aware what can happen if flying in foggy weather like that.

When landing, the drone uses the VPS sensors to judge height above ground directly below the drone, when applying throttle for descending the drone will only go to 0,5m above it then momentarily stop descending ... if you there continue to keep the throttle down for about 3sec the auto landing will take over & it will descend the remaining 0,5m on it's own & then cut the motors, all this is a part of the landing protection.

This can also happen when trying to descend on height in foggy weather ... wouldn't say it's common but we have seen cases like this on this forum before.

When trying to descend out on the flight the drone refuses to go down ... this as the fog is percieved as the ground. If the pilot there tries in frustration to hold the throttle down the drone instead starts to land ... in a few cases the motors have been shut off also, the risk for motors shutting off is very rare though.

But all this with a drone that refuses to descend & starting a auto landing on it's own from height out on the mission usually get the pilot to panic.

The other thing is prop icing, the ice build up altering the props shape to the degree that they no longer can generate thrust & keep the drone airborne. Prop icing can be an issue between +10 to -20C degrees when the dew point is right there where the ambient temp is... it's usually easilly seen as there are visible moist in the air (fog or haze).

Just so you know if you weren't aware 😊

yes the two things you chose to film, are certainly not something ,that are drone friendly
for many of the reasons that @slup touched upon in his post above,and dont forget fog or mist, is basically just water vapour ,and could cause issues if it got inside the drone ,and on to the electronic components

A really nice scenery, fog usually lifts a pic or video several notches Thumbswayup

Just be aware what can happen if flying in foggy weather like that.

When landing, the drone uses the VPS sensors to judge height above ground directly below the drone, when applying throttle for descending the drone will only go to 0,5m above it then momentarily stop descending ... if you there continue to keep the throttle down for about 3sec the auto landing will take over & it will descend the remaining 0,5m on it's own & then cut the motors, all this is a part of the landing protection.

This can also happen when trying to descend on height in foggy weather ... wouldn't say it's common but we have seen cases like this on this forum before.

When trying to descend out on the flight the drone refuses to go down ... this as the fog is percieved as the ground. If the pilot there tries in frustration to hold the throttle down the drone instead starts to land ... in a few cases the motors have been shut off also, the risk for motors shutting off is very rare though.

But all this with a drone that refuses to descend & starting a auto landing on it's own from height out on the mission usually get the pilot to panic.

The other thing is prop icing, the ice build up altering the props shape to the degree that they no longer can generate thrust & keep the drone airborne. Prop icing can be an issue between +10 to -20C degrees when the dew point is right there where the ambient temp is... it's usually easilly seen as there are visible moist in the air (fog or haze).

Just so you know if you weren't aware 😊

Yep, good advice. I've had some scary fog experiences with other drones.

Might not be obvious in the video, but I was only hovering, and I was about 10 feet away in a gravel parking area. Given the conditions, no way was I gonna travel far.

The fog was not particularly wet and the drone came back dry. I've had situations (unintentional) when the drone came back soaked. Anyway, for how small it is, I thought it handled the conditions very well.

Thanks for the comment.

Reactions: old man mavic