DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 or 4: Where to put foil to block GPS

Droning on and on...

Reactions
I want to run a series of experiments to better understand VPS vs. GPS positioning, and see if I can definitively determine with data when the system is using either source.

I'm quite familiar with ATTI flight and have plenty of experience with it, so don't need advice there. Just need to know where to block the GPS antenna, if anyone knows.

Thanks!

Reactions: Cafguy
@Droning on and on... just cover the top of the drone with foil to block the GPS ,this should prevent the drone getting a GPS lock

@Droning on and on... just cover the top of the drone with foil to block the GPS ,this should prevent the drone getting a GPS lock
Yup, I've done it, Blocking the top of the drone with tinfoil works. Just make sure it's secured and doesn't fly off and hit the prop blades.

Reactions: old man mavic
Update: 😡

Didn't work. Started with that little rectangle on the left, no joy.

Then made an 8-layer piece that covered the entire top surface and over the sides about 2cm. Pictured attached to the Mini 4 Pro. That's gotta cover the GPS antenna right?

WRONG!!! It didn't even take longer to get a fix 🤬 Had 14 sats and a lock in less than a minute.

So, back to the drawing board. Maybe the GPS unit is attached to the antennas in the legs?

Suggestions please oh Mavic brain trust...

1000016681.jpg

Looks the the version of the DJI mini you have can get a signal from the bottom as well. Well, that's what it seems like. You can experiment and wrap the whole body with tinfoil. If it works, then you can cut out holes for the landing sensors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne