DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Photo Quality. Huge Vignetting.

Windows typically renders the embedded DNG jpg preview not the actual DNG hence correction is applied.

Here is an example of 12MP dng image opened in Windows image viewer on the right and LR the leftView attachment 149746
Here the same comparison but with my photo:
010140d5188dq688pao1db.jpg

You can download the files HERE if you want to test and see if you get the same result.

I'm definitely seeing light falloff, about the same amount as generally reported here. Interestingly, if I bring the 48MP DNG file into a third party app like Topaz Sharpen AI then it also shows the same vignetting but none otherwise.

I'm not surprised really, they put these darn fast wides in and have serious limits in what they can pull off optically and with software. Even my Nikon 24mm 1.8 S lens for my Z9, etc has light falloff wide open.

Adobe, DXO really need to get a profile cooking for this thing, that is a lot of noise to bring up in the shadows or highlights to pull down to even it out.

Adobe wont do anything with a profile - its baked in like most of the other DJI drones. No need to do anything.

DxO might well do a PureRAW update though.

Topaz will show vignetter because it doesnt read the embedded profile in DNGs so its showing the raw, uncorrected image.

Given the JPGs appear fine this does look like a firmare error not embedding the correction.

Reactions: KS-6
Further update pointing to a software error, i just did the autopano 180 and looked at the raws it saves - no vignetting on those 12mp raws at all.

I haven't tried AEB yet but it does look like its a specific bug where the single shot 12mp is where the data is not being embedded.

Maybe someone else can try the 3x3 pano and AEB to prove that point? Its dark here now so cant check.

I always take my photos in AEB and the vignetting/darkening problem is sadly present in this mode.

Definitely not vignetting.
Yes you do get some with the M3P but I've had no problem correcting in Photoshop.
Defo check the lens cover fit and then contact dealer or DJI.

Definitely not vignetting.
Yes you do get some with the M3P but I've had no problem correcting in Photoshop.
Defo check the lens cover fit and then contact dealer or DJI.
Removing the lens hood doesn't change anything. If it was a hood problem, the 48MP files would have the same problem of vignetting, which is not the case.
I use Lightroom, and correcting the vignetting doesn't fix anything if you want to create panos using the 12MP DNGs files. You'll still get (dark) bandings in the lightest parts of the photo (like the sky). Creating panos using the 48MP DNGs works just fine.
There is a problem with the lens profile embedded in the 12MP DNGs, it is either wrong or missing, hence the huge discrepancy between the 12MP and 48MP DNGs.

From a photography standpoint - have you considered that since your shot was done in the desert in the middle of the day, your shutter speed could be extremely fast? Like, 1/8000s starts having distortion effects for me with my DSLR due to the high speed. The photos where people saying they didn't get the artifact were at sunset or a cloudy environment. I can imagine that the drone is treating the sunny part like a flashlight- the main light source is so strong everything else looks dark. To test this, I would try taking photos in a controlled environment like your bedroom with lights on so that you can get diffuse light falloff at a lower shutter speed. May not be your issue but it's worth a shot. Mid-day harsh light is never an ideal lighting situation.

From a photography standpoint - have you considered that since your shot was done in the desert in the middle of the day, your shutter speed could be extremely fast? Like, 1/8000s starts having distortion effects for me with my DSLR due to the high speed. The photos where people saying they didn't get the artifact were at sunset or a cloudy environment. I can imagine that the drone is treating the sunny part like a flashlight- the main light source is so strong everything else looks dark. To test this, I would try taking photos in a controlled environment like your bedroom with lights on so that you can get diffuse light falloff at a lower shutter speed. May not be your issue but it's worth a shot. Mid-day harsh light is never an ideal lighting situation.
The OP's photo might have been taken in the middle of the day, but it doesn't change anything about the vignetting problem. Look up a few message, I've posted an example taken at dusk.
I took photos in the morning, midday, afternoon, dusk and evening in AEB 5 photos, and all the 12MP DNG files show vignetting.
This a problem with the profile embedded in the 12MP DNGs (not the 48MP) that DJI has borked or forgotten.
DJI needs to fix that ASAP,

Reactions: bricman12
The OP's photo might have been taken in the middle of the day, but it doesn't change anything about the vignetting problem. Look up a few message, I've posted an example taken at dusk.
I took photos in the morning, midday, afternoon, dusk and evening in AEB 5 photos, and all the 12MP DNG files show vignetting.
This a problem with the profile embedded in the 12MP DNGs (not the 48MP) that DJI has borked or forgotten.
DJI needs to fix that ASAP,
I can't imagine DJI releasing a buggy product. Must be all of us that are wrong I guess.

Reactions: neodraig
It's definitely vignetting, and it seems to be only on the 12MP DNG. Some kind of missing vignetting profile. You can correct it easily in lens Corrections in Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW.

+75 Vignetting and a Midpoint at 0 on the 12MP DNG gives me the same picture between 12MP and 48MP DNG (not tested on many pictures so you'll may have to change values a little)

Now, let's hope DJI will fix that soon.

1655646757484.png

I've noticed this too. I usually do AEB5 imports into Aurora and Photoshop. Both show vignetting, and it's usually a +30 to +40 to correct it.

The lens profile is embedded inside the DNG file so is automatically applied.

What im seeing there is not vignette - its a dark area right the way down one side as opposed to darker corners so it looks like some other issue.

LR can't correct it with a vignette tool because it isn't vignette. Possibly a camera fault.
In my own experience, in portrait orientation in particular, the exposure metering appears to be off - it presents as centre weighted or spot weighted at centre frame. This gives a noticeable circular or oval area extending from centre-frame that is over-exposed graduating to less exposed outwards towards the peripheral frame. The effect is like an extremely harsh vignette. This effect does not present on the flight screen FPV, but it does present in the RAW captures.

The Autel EVO Nano+ camera returns precisely the same effect as displayed in the equivalent Autel RAW output, but this is in the horizontal plane (the Nano+ not having the ability to flip into portrait orientation).

Having an AEiE metering option built into the firmware might prevent this from occurring.

This was addressed in a firmware fix months ago - it simply wasn't writing the vignette data to the DNG profile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom