DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Photo Quality. Huge Vignetting.

astroprojector

Reactions
Hi There,

Everyone raving about the photo and video quality of the Mini 3 Pro. I was flying and testing the photo quality and tried the AEB photos. The photos have huge vignetting. It is so big that manual lens correction in LR cannot even correct it. Here is the base unedited image example. LR does not recognizes the lens automatically.
DJI_0009.jpg

And here is exported unedited HDR image,
DJI_0009-HDR.jpg

This is not very good for $1000 drone.

The lens profile is embedded inside the DNG file so is automatically applied.

What im seeing there is not vignette - its a dark area right the way down one side as opposed to darker corners so it looks like some other issue.

LR can't correct it with a vignette tool because it isn't vignette. Possibly a camera fault.

has the lens cover (which is removable and replaceable with ND version) become partially turned or not on correctly?

Are you sure you are showing us the full frame? That does not look like the correct aspect ratio...

I have the same problem and many other people too, as you have seen in the DJI forum.
There is even an article HERE.
The problem only occurs once the 12MP DNGs files are imported in Lightroom (or any other photo editing software).
It doesn't show with the JPEGs and the 48MP DNGs, only with the 12MP DNGs.
I have to apply a +75 vignetting correction in the lens profile to try to fix it.

Last edited:
Try removing the lens cover/filter and see if that changes anything.
The dark areas really aren't vignette - wrong shape and pattern.

Not sure this is the problem as I said, this problem only shows in the 12MP DNGs, you won't see it in the JPEGs or the 48MP shots.

Could still be a factor. Its worth trying.
Its clearly not vignette looking at the images and definitely isn't showing on everyones 12mp images so does hint at something physical or quality control related as opposed to a generic issue.

Its certainly not lens profile related.

Hi There,

Everyone raving about the photo and video quality of the Mini 3 Pro. I was flying and testing the photo quality and tried the AEB photos. The photos have huge vignetting. It is so big that manual lens correction in LR cannot even correct it. Here is the base unedited image example. LR does not recognizes the lens automatically.
View attachment 149663

And here is exported unedited HDR image,
View attachment 149665

This is not very good for $1000 drone.
Did you notice this?
Looks like the auto focus on the m3 is real slow
while turning slow the video is blurry
Like the new chips are just too slow to keep up

I see this too - significant lighting/vignette difference between a 48mp and 12mp shot when imported into Lightroom (LR Classic 11.3.1 here)

There's a 12MP JPG, 12MP DNG, 48MP JPG and 48MP DNG in this folder. The DNGs were exported from Lightroom to JPGs without any editing. You can clearly see the differences (there's also a AEB-5 shot in there for good measure):

It appears that the 48MP loses definition/focus, but particularly on the right hand side of the image?

12MP JPG cropped to 1:1 - extreme right of the image
1654783385612.png

48MP JPG cropped to 1:1 - extreme right of the image
1654783404651.png

12MP JPG cropped to 1:1 - centre of image:
1654783618873.png

48MP JPG cropped to 1:1 - centre of image:

1654783626100.png

So I tried without the lens cover and it didn't change anything.
The 48mp DNG is just fine but the 12MP one still exhibits huge vignetting.

Last edited:
Was worth trying.
Its 100% not vignette though. Its a darker entire edge, clustered around one side.

Was worth trying.
Its 100% not vignette though. Its a darker entire edge, clustered around one side.
I agree, on the OP's photo it doesn't look uniform, but on mines it does.
I started a thread about that problem a while ago HERE.
You can download my files HERE if you wish (the town pictures don't have the same settings between the 12MP and 48MP files, but it's just to show that the vignetting/darkening only appears in the 12MP DNGs and not in the JPGs nor the 48MP shots. The countryside photos are taken in manual mode with the same settings for both the 12MP and 48MP shots).

Last edited:
Looking on those its definitely not vignette. The pattern is wrong for that. Its something but its not Vignette.

Well I don't know what it is but that's annoying.
Also it is weird it only shows in the 12MP DNG files.

Its possible they've half messed up the embedded profile for the 12mp image (in which case its a very very simple firmware fix).
Not everyone is seeing it and those that are, arent seeing it on all images which makes it a little more confusing.

here's test shot overhead with M3P and 5 shot AEB this afternoon.
No noticeable vignetting in the out-of-camera JPGs (nor in the DNG's).

mini3 AEB.jpg

here's test shot overhead with M3P and 5 shot AEB this afternoon.
No noticeable vignetting in the out-of-camera JPGs (nor in the DNG's).

View attachment 149745
Did you import the DNGs in Lightroom?
The vignetting only appears once the DNGs are imported, and doesn't show on the JPEGs nor the DNG previews (at least in Windows and don't know for Macs).

Did you import the DNGs in Lightroom?
The vignetting only appears once the DNGs are imported, and doesn't show on the JPEGs nor the DNG previews (at least in Windows and don't know for Macs).
yes, i also imported a couple of the AEB's into LR, without any lens/vignette adjustments, and saw no vignetting.

Reactions: Forestjim
DNG previews will be the embedded jpg which is why it doesnt show. At a guess its an incorrect embedded lens profile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiktoksss