DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed with Mavic 3 Classic image quality

Got to be honest, if I were turning over between £2 and £4 grand for a flying camera.... I'd expect Quality Control to go the full nine yards to ensure the imaging device lived up to the Hasselblad marque on the front of it BEFORE it left the factory. If the lens cover had 'VIVITAR' printed on it: I might expect dodgy optics.
DJI acquired Hasselblad and by the look of it with that comes their right to use its name on their drone cameras. The details of the deal are obviously not in a public domain but as far as it was disclosed, Hasselblad is only behind the color science of this DJI camera. Hasselblad does not do optics and their cameras always used Zeiss lenses made in Germany.
This little drone is remarkable in many ways but to expect IQ on a par with any genuine Hasselblad camera with a Zeiss lens, which itself costs and weights as much if not more than this entire drone, is unreasonable and quite frankly foolish.

Last edited:
Reactions: waynorth
DJI acquired Hasselblad and by the look of it with that comes their right to use its name on their drone cameras. The details of the deal are obviously not in a public domain but as far as it was disclosed, Hasselblad is only behind the color science of this DJI camera. Hasselblad does not do optics and their cameras always used Zeiss lenses made in Germany.
This little drone is remarkable in many ways but to expect IQ on a par with any genuine Hasselblad camera with a Zeiss lens, which itself costs and weights as much if not more than this entire drone, is unreasonable and quite frankly foolish.
Frank Wang could have the name Hasselblad printed on crisp packets if he wanted to, I am not naive enough to expect Hasselblad quality in a DJI drone, but the point is that if you sell a product to brand-buyers, you are selling the name first and foremost, not the quality.
Anyone who knows a thing about cameras knows that the 'H' name is iconic and up until 2018: synonymous with top level imaging devices. But using it to sell drones with variable quality cameras smacks of misrepresentation.

Frank Wang could have the name Hasselblad printed on crisp packets if he wanted to, I am not naive enough to expect Hasselblad quality in a DJI drone, but the point is that if you sell a product to brand-buyers, you are selling the name first and foremost, not the quality.
Anyone who knows a thing about cameras knows that the 'H' name is iconic and up until 2018: synonymous with top level imaging devices. But using it to sell drones with variable quality cameras smacks of misrepresentation.
That is the unfortunate consequence of being in financial trouble. They obviously badly needed cash injection/investment which came with conditions. Sad reality of takeover which is what effectively happened to the iconic "H" in 2017 when DJI became their majority shareholder.
H is no more what it used to be. I still have the C503 with 3 lenses in my closet as a sentimental reminder of the by gone years. It proudly wears the batch of the iconic brand and it is stil a marvel.

Last edited:
That is the unfortunate consequence of being in financial trouble. They obviously badly needed cash injection/investment which came with conditions. Sad reality of takeover which is what effectively happened to the iconic "H" in 2017 when DJI became their majority shareholder.
H is no more what it used to be. I still have the C503 with 3 lenses in my closet as a sentimental reminder of the gone by years. It proudly wears the batch of the iconic brand and it is stil a marvel.
I don't doubt it for a moment, I'm the same with my Sigma Sd1 Merrill (the one with the gen #1foveon X3 sensor). Terrible for the fast stuff, but point it at a landscape and you know what comes off the card is going to blow your eyeballs out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna