DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 pro active track mode

IT-Junkie

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Question for someone on the mini 3 pro and active track.
If I turn on active track, I understand the drone will orbit around the selected subject ( me in this case) , if I set the drone at let’s say 75ft above ground. And I’m running on a trail that has elevation changes, will the drone then maintain that set height of 75ft? Does this make sense?

I needed to add, I forgot to mention. It’s point of interest that I want to use and this question is relevant to. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
Obstacle avoidance to some degree will keep it away from the ground (and if the ground is unique enough, could use the visual sensor to keep a certain height), though it can't see smaller things like small branches and strands of tall grass.

With the Air 2s it seemed to keep the same relative position from the subject, mainly moving to avoid obstacles, I imagine it would do the same with the Mini 3 pro.

You could carefully test it by using a nearby mowed hill or wide stairs.

Thank you for the response. That’s kind of what I was thinking of trying. I live in the mountains and do a lot of trail running. I just didn’t want to be running up a hill and have the drone crash into the hill because it doesn’t maintain the set elevation or alt I set. I did see/read that in this mode the obstacle avoidance may not work the best. But I was planning on setting the height above anything I believe it could crash into.

Thank you for the response. That’s kind of what I was thinking of trying. I live in the mountains and do a lot of trail running. I just didn’t want to be running up a hill and have the drone crash into the hill because it doesn’t maintain the set elevation or alt I set. I did see/read that in this mode the obstacle avoidance may not work the best. But I was planning on setting the height above anything I believe it could crash into.
Since the mini 3 does have obstacle avoidance (outside of flying sideways). I doubt it would crash into the ground itself but rather just brake or maintain a minimum height as it approaches the ground.

I would be more concerned about tree branches and other skinny obstacles it can't see if it does start descending towards the ground elevation.

Since the mini 3 does have obstacle avoidance (outside of flying sideways). I doubt it would crash into the ground itself but rather just brake or maintain a minimum height as it approaches the ground.

I would be more concerned about tree branches and other skinny obstacles it can't see if it does start descending towards the ground elevation.
I guess im going to have to find a hill and see exactly what it does. I was hoping it would just maintain the set height
Thank you for your response

Just pause it and drag the red play line back to the beginning, its all there !
Yep. You don't even need to pause first.

Just trying to help people avoid clicking the link, watching to the end, and wondering why there's no mention of hill climbing. No worries.

Another one that may help, this was specifically done up and downhill

Reactions: rx7ward
A few days ago, someone (I think it was DJI) posted the optimum distances and heights for active tracking with the Mini 3. Does anyone recall where that post was? I'd like to put that info in a help file I'm building.

Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread...RE: Active Track, Mini 3.

Does anyone know the maximum speed for Active Track 4 on the Mini 3? I didn't find it in the manual, other than it states that the maximum tracking speed is the same for all modes, Cine, Normal, and Sport.

I've been trying to track boats, and notice I can get it to track only to about 15-17 mph, then it lets the subject loose and stops tracking. Kinda useless on a vehicle of any kind. And at 15mph, it will still slowly drift away from a tight track. I don't have quite this problem with the Air2S, it seems to track over 20mph at least.

For my test the water was relatively calm, the boat white against dark, deep water (no bottom visible through the water), and bright sun, clear sky.

Anywhere you can tweak the maximum tracking speed?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23