DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro in Gran Canaria

CJG

Reactions
Good morning folks,

I’m about to go on a walking holiday in Gran Canaria.

I want to take my Mini 3 Pro.

I am very law abiding.

But looking at the Enaire drone map, much of the island is covered by “controlled airspace CTR Gran Canaria. Flight of RPAS prohibited”. This seems to be of greater severity than the usual national park etc restrictions.

So I might have to do a degree of “risk management“ here……

The DJI FlySpace Map only shows restrictions around the airport.

I have all the necessary EU drone ”licenses” (via Ireland). I only ever fly in remote places away from people, and have deliberately purchased a Mini 3 Pro due to the lesser restrictions on sub-250g drones.

Any thoughts on the wisdom of a few quick flights for photography would be really welcome. I don’t want to get a fine; or (worse)close down the airport!

And any real world experiences in flying in Gran Canaria would be welcome.

Please don’t “hate” on me! I am on the verge of not taking my drone, but that would be such a shame as I love to get photos to document my holidays.

CG

...Any thoughts on the wisdom of a few quick flights for photography would be really welcome. I don’t want to get a fine; or (worse)close down the airport!
According to the Spanish official drone map
(can be found here --> ENAIRE Drones )

Nearly all of the Gran Canaria Island is a no fly zone (everything within the light blue circle it seems). And the areas outside seems to need approval either from the airport or some Nature reserve authority.

1689079561567.png

...I am very law abiding.
If that's the case I would leave your Mini 3 Pro at home... from other Spanish members here it sound like the Spanish authorities doesn't take it easy on flying without approval and have heavy fines & confiscate used equipment. They also use scanning equipment to get you... at least in the larger cities.

According to the Spanish official drone map
(can be found here --> ENAIRE Drones )

Nearly all of the Gran Canaria Island is a no fly zone (everything within the light blue circle it seems). And the areas outside seems to need approval either from the airport or some Nature reserve authority.

View attachment 166010

If that's the case I would leave your Mini 3 Pro at home... from other Spanish members here it sound like the Spanish authorities doesn't take it easy on flying without approval and have heavy fines & confiscate used equipment. They also use scanning equipment to get you... at least in the larger cities.
Thanks for your honest answer @slup (and thanks to (@old man mavic for supporting your answer)

The drone will not be traveling. I’m really gutted: it’s like a big part of the holiday has vanished. My fault for not realising sooner that all would not be well.

Just one question/thread of hope: the restrictions in question refer to “RPAS”. I presume this does catch small, not used for business drones? I ask because on searching the definition, the CAA seems to class RPAS as business-use drones.

And on a more general note, why don’t the DJI No fly areas not cover these large areas and only show the immediate area around airports etc? it’s very confusing!

Don't think that's a major differens, the Spanish authorities seems to mix & use both UAS (unmanned aircraft system) & RPAS (remotely piloted aircraft system).

The DJI Fly Safe material is by definition a 3:rd party system, DJI have no authority over any countries airspace. The material they have is mainly provided by others (other counties) & not well maintained... it's easy to find errors both ways, listed NFZ but it isn't in reality & the opposite. Always check with the proper authorities to get the latest & greatest.

Reactions: CJG
If you are the law-abiding type as you say, then you probably should leave the drone at home (or go someplace else).

I was looking at destinations for a trip next winter, and the Canary Islands was a finalist. I ultimately decided to go elsewhere, and the high degree of restrictions for drone flights was a factor in my decision (not the only factor, but it influenced my choice). There are other places which are less restrictive.

If you are the law-abiding type as you say, then you probably should leave the drone at home (or go someplace else).

I was looking at destinations for a trip next winter, and the Canary Islands was a finalist. I ultimately decided to go elsewhere, and the high degree of restrictions for drone flights was a factor in my decision (not the only factor, but it influenced my choice). There are other places which are less restrictive.
Yes @Aerophile, the drone is staying home.

I’ll have to plan my next holiday more carefully

Reactions: Dave Maine
It's possible to fly a hobby drone there... The legislation applicable in Spain (and therefore in the Canary Islands) is European regulations... Including for prohibited areas (national parks, military installations, aeroports, etc.). Unfortunately, the ENAIRE card no longer seems to be available online...

Bonjour les amis,

Je suis sur le point de partir en vacances à pied à Gran Canaria.

Je veux prendre mon Mini 3 Pro.

Je suis très respectueux des lois.

Mais en regardant la carte des drones Enaire, une grande partie de l'île est couverte par «l'espace aérien contrôlé CTR Gran Canaria. Vol de RPAS interdit ». Cela semble être plus sévère que les restrictions habituelles des parcs nationaux, etc.

Donc, je devrais peut-être faire un degré de "gestion des risques" ici ......

La carte DJI FlySpace affiche uniquement les restrictions autour de l'aéroport.

J'ai toutes les « licences » nécessaires pour les drones de l'UE (via l'Irlande). Je ne vole que dans des endroits éloignés des gens et j'ai délibérément acheté un Mini 3 Pro en raison des restrictions moindres sur les drones de moins de 250 g.

Toute réflexion sur la sagesse de quelques vols rapides pour la photographie serait vraiment la bienvenue. Je ne veux pas recevoir d'amende; ou (pire) fermer l'aéroport !

Et toute expérience du monde réel en vol à Gran Canaria serait la bienvenue.

S'il vous plaît, ne me "détestez" pas ! Je suis sur le point de ne pas prendre mon drone, mais ce serait tellement dommage car j'adore prendre des photos pour documenter mes vacances.

CG
Bonjour,
Je reviens de Gran Canaria et j'avais emporté mon Mini 3 Pro. J'ai volé et filmé en différents endroits sans problème : dunes de Maspalomas, vallée de Mogan, Roque Nublo, Pico de Las Nieves, etc…
Tout c'est très bien passé.
Cordialement
CH

Reactions: CJG and Bernard
It's possible to fly a hobby drone there... The legislation applicable in Spain (and therefore in the Canary Islands) is European regulations... Including for prohibited areas (national parks, military installations, aeroports, etc.). Unfortunately, the ENAIRE card no longer seems to be available online...
I don’t know if this is right @Bernard. Aren’t the EU rules just the base layer (reflected in the DJI No fly zones) upon which each EU country can add its own regulations (not shown DJI No fly zones) ?

I would love you to be right (although academic for me now as at the airport without drone). What are your sources for this view @Bernard ?

I don’t know if this is right @Bernard. Aren’t the EU rules just the base layer (reflected in the DJI No fly zones) upon which each EU country can add its own regulations (not shown DJI No fly zones) ?

I would love you to be right (although academic for me now as at the airport without drone). What are your sources for this view @Bernard ?
@slup @old man mavic

The EU regulations doesn't stipulate where flight zones should be placed & what regulations they should contain... this is totally up to each & every country.

The DJI Fly Safe material should (in the best of worlds) contain real & accurate information about flight zones relevant to drone flying... unfortunately the material isn't that accurate so it can be your only source of information.

A thing like a "EU base layer" doesn't exist regarding flight zones.

Have a look here... and clic on a zone:
There is another link (in English) that could be interesting for you : Canary Islands Drone Laws
European regulation are in force in the whole Europe from January 2021.

The DJI No Fly zones are not consistant with European Regulation...
Exactly, I never trust the DJI NFZ. That is why I have disabled them on my drones (drone-hacks).
Instead I check the official flight restrictions before I fly.

Have a look here... and clic on a zone:
There is another link (in English) that could be interesting for you : Canary Islands Drone Laws
European regulation are in force in the whole Europe from January 2021.
How does this help @Bernard? I know about the Enaire site which blocks out most flying here on Gran Canaria. How does this help your argument that hobby flying is ok. It specifically isn’t!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13