DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 pro lost prop mid flight

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
Had a unbelievable experience last night . Was flying my mini 3 pro over water in sport mode and just as I reached where I was located on the shore I released the throttle and as the drone slowed down it started shaking and fell into some long grass nearby . It was only a few feet in the air at the time . When I retrieved the drone (undamaged) I immediately noticed one of the left rear props and retaining screws were missing . Don't know if the prop came off just as I released the throttle or did it actually fly unbalanced for a bit over the water. Could it fly with a single prop missing ? Did'nt see it come off . Lesson learned - to check the tightness of the screws before each flight .Had changed over to Master airscrew props recently , dunno if this had anything to do with it. If it threw it just as I got to the homepoint then I'm buying a lottery ticket this week. Check your retaining screws folks .Pack a jewelers screw driver in your kit.

If you can, please post the .txt flight log and DAT, they would be interesting.
DO NOT sync and probably DO NOT use the airdata app to access those logs. Instead connect your controller or phone to a computer via USB cable and retrieve the logs via that method and save them to computer.
Syncing with DJI seems to delete the DAT but I don't know if the process Airdata use does the same. With this log it's not something you would wish to experiment with until the DAT is safe.
Several Mini 3 seem to have lost a prop blade and in one case the blade was found where the misbehaviour started so that is a definite prop loss.

Had a unbelievable experience last night . Was flying my mini 3 pro over water in sport mode and just as I reached where I was located on the shore I released the throttle and as the drone slowed down it started shaking and fell into some long grass nearby . It was only a few feet in the air at the time . When I retrieved the drone (undamaged) I immediately noticed one of the left rear props and retaining screws were missing . Don't know if the prop came off just as I released the throttle or did it actually fly unbalanced for a bit over the water. Could it fly with a single prop missing ? Did'nt see it come off . Lesson learned - to check the tightness of the screws before each flight .Had changed over to Master airscrew props recently , dunno if this had anything to do with it. If it threw it just as I got to the homepoint then I'm buying a lottery ticket this week. Check your retaining screws folks .Pack a jewelers screw driver in your kit.
If isn’t a DJI prop or battery it’s not going on my drone. Those are the most critical components on a drone failure of ether is a disaster. BUY THAT LOTTERY TICKET 😊

Reactions: NightFlightAlright
If isn’t a DJI prop or battery it’s not going on my drone. Those are the most critical components on a drone failure of ether is a disaster. BUY THAT LOTTERY TICKET 😊
Stock Avata props are notorious for exploding, so quality isn't always a guarantee. That said, for a camera drone I would definitely keep everything OEM.

If you can, please post the .txt flight log and DAT, they would be interesting.
DO NOT sync and probably DO NOT use the airdata app to access those logs. Instead connect your controller or phone to a computer via USB cable and retrieve the logs via that method and save them to computer.
Syncing with DJI seems to delete the DAT but I don't know if the process Airdata use does the same. With this log it's not something you would wish to experiment with until the DAT is safe.
Several Mini 3 seem to have lost a prop blade and in one case the blade was found where the misbehaviour started so that is a definite prop loss.
When i plug mini 3 pro controller (DJI RC) into pc , what folder will i find that in ?

There have been reports here on the forum that the screws supplied with Master airscrew propellers have broken easily, some even experienced that they snapped when tightening them.

Are you using loctite? Does the OEM Mini 3 props use loctite?
I'd be hesitant to use loctite as I be afraid i'd strip the crosshead or shear the bolt itself if I ever had to change a prop

When i plug mini 3 pro controller (DJI RC) into pc , what folder will i find that in ?
I think DJI RC\Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord
and DJI RC\Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord\MCDATFlightrecord
thought I am not sure what is before "DJI RC" but possibly "Computer\" and amybe something else
see also
post #7 in Can anyone help me retrieve my flight logs?
and

with the Mini3 pro and other mini 3 ,compared to the original Mavic Mini and mini 2 family of drones ,the way the props are fitted onto the motors is quite different
yes i know they both use screws ,but the way those screws hold the props on ,is fundamentally quite different
with the MM and Mini 2 the actual screw itself, forms the pivot point for the prop ,as well as attaching it to the motor housing
because of this ,although the screws themselves are still quite small they are ,huge when compared to the extremely tiny screws that the Mini 3 pro uses
all that the screw has to do is form a barrier to stop the prop from coming off the actual pivot point
please dont overtighten those tiny screws ,stop exerting torque to the screw as soon as the head of the screw contacts the pivot point ,applying to much force just puts the screw head under excessive stress and as MAS found out this resulted in breakages because of the small size of the screw ,and quite possibly the material used to make them ,and even the manufacturing process used to form them
there is no real reason for the screw to become loose during use, as there is very little force being applied to it from the props, to cause it to unscrew
the screws do have a tiny bit of thread lock on them to act as a vibration barrier between the threads of the screw and pivot point thread

yes i know they both use screws ,but the way those screws hold the props on ,is fundamentally quite different
I have seen mention that the Mini 3 reverted to the 'old' style screw with a shoulder and in so doing did away with the Pro's pivot as part of the motor's rotor.

It's just a poor design in my opinion. The screws are just too small and the tiny heads make them hard to properly tighten. They are also really easy to strip if you are not careful.

Be carefull when pulling Mini out of case I have had it catch and crack a prop around the hub. This is hard to see, On take off Mini went out of controll. I crashed into concrete total loss. DJI Care helped.

I also do not put in case unless I have to. I hand all my small drones on wall in ready to fly position.

Reactions: Drone alone.
Be carefull when pulling Mini out of case I have had it catch and crack a prop around the hub. This is hard to see, On take off Mini went out of controll. I crashed into concrete total loss. DJI Care helped.

Anbee Propeller Holder Guard for DJI Mini 3 Pro RC Drone

510Jkc+7NKL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weblloyd