DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 pro not as good as expected?

Are you all aware of the dual-iso feature of the sensor that can be used in 12MP video mode that are labeled HD (re: HDR) in the settings?

This feature is responsible for the low light performance of the smaller sensor in the M3P vs the A2S. Capturing a 12MP frame, every other row of the 48MP sensor is energized for alternating high/low iso, then combined to produce a high dynamic range 12MP image.

Shoot some video without HD on the M3P (60fps I think) and you'll see better low light performance on the A2S.
I knew that Quad-Bayer systems can do that, but I didn't know it was enabled in the Mini 3 Pro.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Are you all aware of the dual-iso feature of the sensor that can be used in 12MP video mode that are labeled HD (re: HDR) in the settings?

This feature is responsible for the low light performance of the smaller sensor in the M3P vs the A2S. Capturing a 12MP frame, every other row of the 48MP sensor is energized for alternating high/low iso, then combined to produce a high dynamic range 12MP image.

Shoot some video without HD on the M3P (60fps I think) and you'll see better low light performance on the A2S.
Thanks, that's really interesting. If I may...where do you find your information? Both you and a couple others seem to have some inside data that's not published where the average guy can find it. In the course of this thread I have searched extensively for anything about both cameras, oustide of the specs and the manual there's not much. For example, the dual-iso HD/HDR details you mention aren't in the manual. Where do we find this stuff?

Philip Bloom discusses low light work with the Mini3 here

It's not clear to me how dual ISO, noise reduction and low light performance all interact with the Mini 3, but they do have significant impact on the images. Philip points out that noise levels can be less at 1600 ISO than at 800.

This is also true with dual-ISO Digital Cinema cameras and some mirrorless cameras that shoot video. Noise levels gradually increase with ISO values until a certain threshold is reached, after which they suddenly decrease again. No idea why or how.

As jphoto says, we have a lot to learn about the Mini 3 and what DJI are up to. Careful testing is usually the best course of action.

BTW, jphoto, your earlier posts in this thread are excellent. Thanks for those. They should be "stickies" if the forum software supports them.

Reactions: Lastrexking
BTW, jphoto, your earlier posts in this thread are excellent. Thanks for those. They should be "stickies" if the forum software supports them.
Thanks, but I'd really have to scrub them clean first. Not good enough to be stickies as-is.

@Lister, I think you linked the wrong video?

Here's a very long (and visually stunning!) review of the M3P by Philip Bloom. At 14:50 he covers the "HDR" feature, and discussions he had about the dual native ISO sensor with DJI.

Some of the testing he does to try and see the noise step-down at the cross-over to the higher ISO are unimpressive. However, they're done in daylight, and I wonder if the advantages might be more prominent in low light.

Anyway, I find the M3P video performance and quality, in the hands of a pro like Phillip Bloom, breathtaking.

Reactions: Lastrexking
@Lister, I think you linked the wrong video?

Here's a very long (and visually stunning!) review of the M3P by Philip Bloom. At 14:50 he covers the "HDR" feature, and discussions he had about the dual native ISO sensor with DJI.

Some of the testing he does to try and see the noise step-down at the cross-over to the higher ISO are unimpressive. However, they're done in daylight, and I wonder if the advantages might be more prominent in low light.

Anyway, I find the M3P video performance and quality, in the hands of a pro like Phillip Bloom, breathtaking.

Hi Mighty. I linked Philip's second Mini 3 video because it had the night footage. He did describe the dual ISO stuff in the first video, too.

Hi Mighty. I linked Philip's second Mini 3 video because it had the night footage. He did describe the dual ISO stuff in the first video, too.
He's amazing, isn't he? Wish I had his talent!

This is one of the most impressive low light videos I have seen so far from the M3:

He discusses his settings here:

Impressive stuff! Some of that looks like high end graphics from a computer game!

With regard to the claims that the Air 2S has a better low light camera....What am I missing? These videos, while not exactly scientifically controlled, and with no actual measurements, seem to make the Mini 3 look better than the Mavic 3:

These compare the Mini 3 to the Air 2S, and once again, the Mini 3 seems to look better:

For a specs comparison, this:
Though the good doctor seems to think the mini 3p sensor is larger than the one in the Air 2S. Investigating that one now.
I watched the video you linked in, and I'm not sure if the comparison is fair. Unless those videos were shot on different days at exact time, this cannot be a fair comparison. Shooting in "Magic hour" is tricky. The light changes fast so if you shot one drone after another, it is quite guaranteed that the second drone would have less light to work with.

I continue to be gobsmacked at the M3Ps performance. The image below is a forum freindly very low resolution example of a stitched 48mp panorama that I recently took. This was taken about 30 minutes after official GMT sunset, I have increased the exposure and manually sharpened this image to aid visual reference. Note the red box.

Tile 2.jpg

Below is a full resolution jpg of the contents of the above red box. Note the incandescent bulbs denoting the low light conditions. The resolution of the 48mp mode is insane. It's a high resolution self-leveling flying camera with virtually zero parallax. I love the M3P.

Town.jpg

Last edited:
I watched the video you linked in, and I'm not sure if the comparison is fair. Unless those videos were shot on different days at exact time, this cannot be a fair comparison. Shooting in "Magic hour" is tricky. The light changes fast so if you shot one drone after another, it is quite guaranteed that the second drone would have less light to work with.
Here's another good comparison using night shots:

Threads like this one have been bugging me.

I am a first time drone owner and chose the Mini 3 Pro based on the incredible content that is being produced from such a small aircraft. I can only dream of being able to use my M3P to it’s fullest, yet, people here are nit-picking and comparing it to drones 2 levels higher than it’s weight class as a VW Beetle compares to a Porsche 911.

I highly doubt DJI started off with trying to outdo a Mavic 3 with this latest Mini. They had a goal of producing the best drone they could within the 250g constraint they set themselves up in. The only other drones that should be compared to the M3P are it’s predecessors and it’s 250g competition.

The fact that people here ARE comparing it to the larger drones speaks highly of this little guy.

This is an awesome little drone.

He's amazing, isn't he? Wish I had his talent!
It's more than talent. He said that he'd worked for three weeks on the original Mini 3 documentary. He's also a director cameraman with decades of experience. Sony hires him to make demo footage of their digital cinema cameras for marketing purposes.

Tried my hand at night shooting this past weekend. I started 1/2 hour after sunset and shot well into darkness. I played the edited footage on my 85" 4k TV and it looks great. I could never have achieved this type of nighttime footage with the Mini 2. I continue to be impressed at what this sub $800, sub 250g drone can achieve.

Tried my hand at night shooting this past weekend. I started 1/2 hour after sunset and shot well into darkness. I played the edited footage on my 85" 4k TV and it looks great. I could never have achieved this type of nighttime footage with the Mini 2. I continue to be impressed at what this sub $800, sub 250g drone can achieve.

Nice footage! I like how the clips slowly get further and further into the night. Was this with Cinelike or standard colour profiles?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60