DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Performing Well

I’m seriously considering the Mini3P. Thanks for the positive thread to balance out with those with issues!

I’m torn between the two controller options. With screen is more convenient but there appears to be more range issues with it(?) and DJI store manager was not positively pushing the higher price option which is red flag to me… Any words of wisdom?

Background: I’m a RC hobbyist, mostly into Electric planes. Last year bought DJI FPV. Love it, but it’s too bulky for travel with the family. I have iPhone12 that could be used as a screen.

Last edited:
I’m seriously considering the Mini3P. Thanks for the positive thread to balance out with those with issues!

I’m torn between the two controller options. With screen is more convenient but there appears to be more range issues with it(?) and DJI store manager was not positively pushing the higher price option which is red flag to me… Any words of wisdom?

Background: I’m a RC hobbyist, mostly into Electric planes. Last year bought DJI FPV. Love it, but it’s too bulky for travel with the family. I have iPhone12 that could be used as a screen.

My understanding is that the signal/strength range issue is mostly confined to situations where the drone and controller are operating in CE mode rather than FCC mode. You might see if that's really the case.

As for the controller, this is my first experience with a smart controller, with built-in screen. I really like it. It simplifies getting set up to fly. No fussing with tablets or phones, cables, and brackets and being so cautious with the controller and clamped-on screen device. I'm well pleased with the visibility of the screen in bright sun. The price differential between the drone with the smart controller and with the RC-N1 makes it a bargain.

If you go with the Mini 3 and the smart controller and don't like the controller, I'll give you the difference in cost and toss in an RC-N1 controller. I'd like to have one to use with one of the other drones.

I don’t have my extended batteries yet, but I echo the OP’s sentiments almost to the letter. I certainly don’t demean those that are truly experiencing issues, but for me so far at least, this is the most enjoyable DJI bird that I’ve owned. As I’ve posted before, it’s almost my dream bird. Small, light, quick to deploy, and reasonably high photo/video quality. Is it “perfect”? Perhaps not, but it’s the most ideal set of trade-offs that’s ever been available for me.
That’s excellent!
Glad to hear and sure It will be the s same here when all is said and done.

Can you please explain "quick transfer"? I love my Mini 3 Pro - best drone I've ever had, and I've had a LOT, but did notice that transferring videos via a USB-C cable to my computer is very slow. I did just update to the latest firmware, but have not tried transferring video files with a cable since. I usually remove the SD card and put it in a USB reader, which is pretty fast.
Quick transfer is an option to download media to your mobile device or tablet via wifi in a faster transmission rate. Here is an additional information courtesy of drone dj. DJI releases Mini 3 Pro firmware update to optimize QuickTransfer

My only reservations before deciding whether to buy are 1) is the curved horizon when shooting RAW auto 9 shot panoramas and then stitching in Lightroom Classic problem solved (I suspect it isn’t) and 2) reports of Vignetting which can ruin panoramas.

Any observations?

But I am still tempted to buy: I am impressed by all the tech put into a sub-250g drone

Has anyone flown their mini 3 in bright sunlight without nd filters and high shutter speeds without getting jello effects?
Can you post a link to the video? I am not sure what you mean by jello effect. I have had lag/stuttering/jerks when the drone is at 1500+ feet.

My only reservations before deciding whether to buy are 1) is the curved horizon when shooting RAW auto 9 shot panoramas and then stitching in Lightroom Classic problem solved (I suspect it isn’t) and 2) reports of Vignetting which can ruin panoramas.

Any observations?

But I am still tempted to buy: I am impressed by all the tech put into a sub-250g drone
2) is solved in the latest firmware. No longer an issue.

Reactions: johnmont250
If you go with the Mini 3 and the smart controller and don't like the controller, I'll give you the difference in cost and toss in an RC-N1 controller. I'd like to have one to use with one of the other drones.
I appreciate the advice and generous offer! I’m currently an expatriate working in China so shipping is probably too expensive.

Any observations?

Which of the panorama modes are you concerned about? Here's a nine-frame pano from two days ago, reduced 75% to upload. I can post some more samples if you like.

View attachment DJI_0362,75.jpg

Last edited:
Several people are having problems with their Mini 3s, so I thought I'd toss out an optimistic comment and appraisal of a Mini 3 that's performing well. I'm not posting this to brag or make anyone feel bad, but to say that it's worth the effort of finding solutions. Once those frustrating problems are resolved, I think you're going to be extremely pleased with the Mini 3.

I made two flights today to shoot 360 panoramas, still photos with 5-exposure bracketing, a few brief video clips and a set of flat panoramas (vertical, wide angle, and 180-degree) in four cardinal directions at two locations around town. I shot the 360s at multiple altitudes at both locations and took a close look at an osprey nest that was no longer in use this season. I used a separate fully charged extended capacity battery for each flight and could have done both flights with a single battery if I'd wanted to push it.

The Mini 3 performed flawlessly and I'm very pleased with the results. All the features are working properly and I've experienced no signal strength issues, control lag, or landing issues. It's a very nice drone and the Smart Controller is a delight. All things considered, I think it might be my favorite of the Mini, Air, and Mavic series.

If you're having problems, stay the course. There's light at the end of that dark tunnel.

(Note: I did have a problem updating firmware and the Fly app, but my router's DNS settings turned out to be the problem. The map failed to load one time afterward, but a restart of drone and controller solved that and it hasn't reoccurred.)
Took my new mini 3 to the Isle Of Wight all this week, brilliant sunshine every day, no ordering the new RC screen, and the still images are superb, drone handled very well , flew over Dimbola House and Freshwater bay , Flew alongside over and beyond Sandown pier , flights no longer than 15 mins because at my age I could not handle the heat but the mini 3 Pro could, very impressed and glad I added it to my fleet. The fact that I can unfold press two buttons and fly is a treat, only negative I have is the downloading of images, it’s very easy to connect to iPad but having to download one by one is a drag , have not found a way to batch download as with the mini 2 yet, but overall more than very pleased with th flying and more than very pleased with the images. Flying an Inspire a Phantom 4 Pro, a Mavic 2 Pro the mini 2 and now the mini 3 Pro a brilliant little drone, cheers Len

Several people are having problems with their Mini 3s, so I thought I'd toss out an optimistic comment and appraisal of a Mini 3 that's performing well. I'm not posting this to brag or make anyone feel bad, but to say that it's worth the effort of finding solutions. Once those frustrating problems are resolved, I think you're going to be extremely pleased with the Mini 3.

I made two flights today to shoot 360 panoramas, still photos with 5-exposure bracketing, a few brief video clips and a set of flat panoramas (vertical, wide angle, and 180-degree) in four cardinal directions at two locations around town. I shot the 360s at multiple altitudes at both locations and took a close look at an osprey nest that was no longer in use this season. I used a separate fully charged extended capacity battery for each flight and could have done both flights with a single battery if I'd wanted to push it.

The Mini 3 performed flawlessly and I'm very pleased with the results. All the features are working properly and I've experienced no signal strength issues, control lag, or landing issues. It's a very nice drone and the Smart Controller is a delight. All things considered, I think it might be my favorite of the Mini, Air, and Mavic series.

If you're having problems, stay the course. There's light at the end of that dark tunnel.

(Note: I did have a problem updating firmware and the Fly app, but my router's DNS settings turned out to be the problem. The map failed to load one time afterward, but a restart of drone and controller solved that and it hasn't reoccurred.)
P
Took my new mini 3 to the Isle Of Wight all this week, brilliant sunshine every day, no ordering the new RC screen, and the still images are superb, drone handled very well , flew over Dimbola House and Freshwater bay , Flew alongside over and beyond Sandown pier , flights no longer than 15 mins because at my age I could not handle the heat but the mini 3 Pro could, very impressed and glad I added it to my fleet. The fact that I can unfold press two buttons and fly is a treat, only negative I have is the downloading of images, it’s very easy to connect to iPad but having to download one by one is a drag , have not found a way to batch download as with the mini 2 yet, but overall more than very pleased with th flying and more than very pleased with the images. Flying an Inspire a Phantom 4 Pro, a Mavic 2 Pro the mini 2 and now the mini 3 Pro a brilliant little drone, cheers Len
should read no problems seeing the screen

Reactions: Torque
I'd get onto support, I've never seen anything like that with mine on any video I've shot.

Bought my M3P on 7/7/22 at Best Buy in Indiana while on vacation. Only had it up three times but I'm pretty happy overall. Just a few problems.

Pros:
Night stills are wonderful.
RC screen is bright and clear
Vertical mode is a nice touch that I will need to explore
Gimbal tilt is awesome!
Flight characteristics are better than the Mini2 but not on par with the Air2S (no surprises there)

Cons:
Removing MicroSD card requires a tool (finger/thumbnail doesn't work). Not the end of the world, but a nuisance certainly.
Finding the FMK+ is proving to be a challenge
Default flight settings for C/N/S modes were very strange but easily corrected.
Battery life doesn't seem any better than the Mini2 or the Air2/Air2S but it's a small sample size so far.
RC battery life is far less than the RC-N1, but that's to be expected.

Overall I'm really happy but there's a lot more to test, which is difficult with only one battery. Any suggestions on a source for the FMK+?

I just got my mini with 1 battery. I like it a lot. Video and photos are great. Was able to color grade my videos. Over all I like the mini 3. No range issues. Flew around trees and did not loose connection. I like the new RC, no phone hook up.
Only cons if you can call them that, are.
It is small and noise level is very low, but being small it is easy to loose the drone in the sky, i was flying with tree behind it I had to stop and raise it up and down at times to find it.
At night the lights on the drone have a slow pulse rate that I can not use them to gage the drones rotation. I rotate the drone the lights go out then they are back on and I went 90 degrees. My mavic pro 2 was easier to fly at night. Then landing at night no landing lights and it is floaty when landing I think because it can not see where it is at. So I may limit my night flying or fly earlier like around dusk.
But I will fly the mini way more when I get my fly more package which is on order. With only 1 battery it is a pain.

Bought my M3P on 7/7/22 at Best Buy in Indiana while on vacation. Only had it up three times but I'm pretty happy overall. Just a few problems.

Pros:
Night stills are wonderful.
RC screen is bright and clear
Vertical mode is a nice touch that I will need to explore
Gimbal tilt is awesome!
Flight characteristics are better than the Mini2 but not on par with the Air2S (no surprises there)

Cons:
Removing MicroSD card requires a tool (finger/thumbnail doesn't work). Not the end of the world, but a nuisance certainly.
Finding the FMK+ is proving to be a challenge
Default flight settings for C/N/S modes were very strange but easily corrected.
Battery life doesn't seem any better than the Mini2 or the Air2/Air2S but it's a small sample size so far.
RC battery life is far less than the RC-N1, but that's to be expected.

Overall I'm really happy but there's a lot more to test, which is difficult with only one battery. Any suggestions on a source for the FMK+?
I'm in agreement with the above, I had the single battery for a week and yes a pain to test everything like that, Plus batteries showed up just before the weekend, and getting easily 35 minutes per Battery with time to spare, got the low battery warning around 32 min or so, (about 20%, but 20% of a "47 minute" battery gives plenty of leeway to finish up whatever your doing and not have to rush getting her home) - quick tip on the SD card - take the battery out first, its a bit easier to get your nail in that way, it is a real PITA

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1