DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Range Test?

No, not really since the drone has been out for like 3 days.. and there are not that many out there, considering shipping times are weeks or months. Many of the reviewers that DJI sent out beta units to probably are not going to jump on long range flights.. someone will probably do it eventually..
Some of the YouTube reviewers have had the mini 3 pro for months. Just search on YouTube. I've seen at least 20 to 30 reviews. No range test though.

Likely because all the early recipients know they need to be careful and can't see to be breaking the law by doing such tests.
They'll have a list of terms and conditions and expected standards to sign up do before they get their drone.

Wow. 1.6k really sucks. My old mini 1 could do better than that.

Another test confirms issue with weak signal at 1,5 km

shame I won't buy it

Some of the YouTube reviewers have had the mini 3 pro for months. Just search on YouTube. I've seen at least 20 to 30 reviews. No range test though.
I am well aware of how long some reviewers have had the Mini 3.. Most of those are probably not going to do some sort of long range distance test for various reasons..

They are starting to show up of course, and it will take more than one channel's distance test to get a feel for the effective range of the Mini 3, and it will probably vary depending on whether your using the DJI RC or the RC-N1 controller. So the tester should have both and use both to compare.

I suspect the DJI RC will not have the same range as the RC-N1.. But for most flights, I think the potential convenience of having the DJI RC will have enough range to get the job done.

Reactions: leebroath
Appauling range from mini 3
Appalling or appealing? 😆
As DJI is going safe with the 249 g design I might bet, they also intentionally lowered the range by incorporating the anntenae into the body.

There are way too many people just not obeying the rules and/or throw common sense into the bin beyond a reasonable VLOS.
And lower range is not the same as signal strength or quality of connection which might be still without a hitch.

I guess, we have to wait a bit more for more tests and some ironed out bugs in the firmware.

Another test confirms issue with weak signal at 1,5 km

shame I won't buy it
If all you're concerned about is how far beyond VLOS you can fly. then you will need other options probably, however , its going to take more testing than one YT channel I think to determine the reasonable range of the Mini 3.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
If all you're concerned about is how far beyond VLOS you can fly. then you will need other options probably, however , its going to take more testing than one YT channel I think to determine the reasonable range of the Mini 3.
  • Signal Transmission Ranges
    (FCC) [6]​

• Strong Interference (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
    Medium Interference (suburban landscape): Approx. 3-7 km
    Low Interference (suburb/seaside): Approx. 7-12 km

According to specs about it should be more then enough..like Mini 2
maybe the problem only exists with DJI controller not with N1 controller

We will wait and see furthers tests.

If i have to look for other options , then i regretted selling my mavic pro 1

Reactions: Torque and David_D
  • Signal Transmission Ranges
    (FCC) [6]​

• Strong Interference (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
    Medium Interference (suburban landscape): Approx. 3-7 km
    Low Interference (suburb/seaside): Approx. 7-12 km

According to specs about it shoud be more then enough
maybe the problem only exists with DJI controller not with N1 controller

We will wait and see furthers test .

If i have to look for other options , then i regret selling my mavic pro 1
It still boils down to, how far do you really need to fly?

Sure your old Mavic Pro was a good drone, an aging one, but a good one.. Every model has strengths and weaknesses... I think I would prefer a drone that does great photography and doesn't need to fly 2-4-5, ,more KM or MI, beyond ones ability to see it, let alone recover, if something goes wrong.

I think the Mini 3 Pro based on what I've seen does a great job in low light, overall video, and photos... An Air 2s may still be a little bit better, but its close, even in comparisons to the Mavic 3, I think the Mini 3 compares relatively well in that regard...

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
It still boils down to, how far do you really need to fly?

Sure your old Mavic Pro was a good drone, an aging one, but a good one.. Every model has strengths and weaknesses... I think I would prefer a drone that does great photography and doesn't need to fly 2-4-5, ,more KM or MI, beyond ones ability to see it, let alone recover, if something goes wrong.

I think the Mini 3 Pro based on what I've seen does a great job in low light, overall video, and photos... An Air 2s may still be a little bit better, but its close, even in comparisons to the Mavic 3, I think the Mini 3 compares relatively well in that regard...
I mean the range test is very poor compared to mini 2 .
i like to fly long range distances far away from cities and people in the landscape.
When DJI wrote 7-12km max , it must have exactly this performance
Otherwise i don't want spent 800 $ for something like fake drone

I mean the range test is very poor compared to mini 2 .
i like to fly long range distances far away from cities and people in the landscape.
When DJI wrote 7-12km max , it must have exactly this performance
Otherwise i don't want spent 800 $ for something like fake drone
DJI reports things based on optimal conditions which are not always really achievable in reality for a host of reasons.

If you like to fly long range and get into potential trouble for flying beyond VLOS, thats your call.. However I think the jury is still out and there are probably more software updates coming that may optimize things., time will tell..

You say you don't want to spend $800 for a fake drone, but you'll spend $500-600 for the Mini 2, with far less optimal video and photo capability. So I guess your far more worried about range than what the drone is intended for..

Guess we'll see how it goes, course now were maybe waiting for the Air 3 or the Air 3s.. or whatever is next and what will it do better? ... there are just certain limitations for every model, the actual range of most of them is about the same if your a safe pilot., however, , some models are better than others, and perhaps the new RC has limits because of its design, or a software update will come along and it will improve. Time will tell.

Philip Bloom states in his review (which is really worth the time, it is very different to your standard drone review) that he did not observe much difference in range between the DJI RC and the RC-N1. This is written on-screen from about 35:16 in his review:

I guess that could mean the somewhat limited range (as of now, at least) is down to the drone itself, more than the controller.

I think drone flyers are interested in the longest distance capability, just for the heck of it .... but on the practical side...,, I think a short-range capability more likely implies risk of interference or broken signals in short distances. That is worrisome. Especially, for that price range and with compeitition from other brands (autel).

Reactions: Torque
What firmware bugs have been identified?
Coming from some of the reviews, there have been reports of the drone dropping altitude in forward/rear flight, slightly but constantly. There are always bugs (not necessarily severe) and I guess we will likely hear of some when the Mini 3 Pro really hits the shelfs.

Anyone seen this one? But I don't understand the language. At 4:10, it seems to indicate it reached 5km?? not sure what controller he was using at the time and the height (around 3km????)

Last edited:
Reactions: takeshi and Torque
Once i get hold of ours ill do some EVLOS testing.
The issue i have is that my EVLOS rating lets me fly outbto 80% of the links range. Without testing to the limit, its hard to list 80% of that limit in our documentation.
I may be able to use the DJI listed specs for initial testing

Anyone seen this one? But I don't understand the language. At 4:10, it seems to indicate it reached 5km?? not sure what controller he was using at the time and the height (around 3km????)
I kind of understood some of what he was saying, both controllers about equal no difference. Only he mentions second controller has less bars (signal strength) beyond 5000 meters but still good signal as first controller.

From what I was seeing, second test did show less bars at 5000 meters plus compared to first test at 5700 meters, but as he turned the drone around for return bars increased. My view, Was a close comparison with both controllers. Could have gone either way, maybe a slight improvement on signal on his first flight test.

I still didn’t catch which controller he was using for each test though, I’ll need to watch the entire video, only watched a small portion here and there.

Overall, both test were good.

Reactions: David_D
Tested at almost 3000m altitude (the limit for the large batteries)
1st test, standard battery and DJI RC: 5830m (battery limit)
2nd test, large battery and standard controller: 5319m (signal limit, and still 45% battery left when landed)
He could have gone a bit further, but he didn't want to risk too much. He says both controllers started to have poor signal at the same distance. It is interesting that in the second flight the drone was moving sideways (instead of straight forward) for no reason, so he switched of "lateral flight" option, and then it was fine.

Reactions: David_D
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman