DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Range Test?

More discussion and examples of range tests here in this outstanding video about the new RC controller. I've cued it up to the appropriate part but the entire video is worth a watch. The news remains not good.

Tested at almost 3000m altitude (the limit for the large batteries)
1st test, standard battery and DJI RC: 5830m (battery limit)
2nd test, large battery and standard controller: 5319m (signal limit, and still 45% battery left when landed)
He could have gone a bit further, but he didn't want to risk too much. He says both controllers started to have poor signal at the same distance. It is interesting that in the second flight the drone was moving sideways (instead of straight forward) for no reason, so he switched of "lateral flight" option, and then it was fine.
Thank you. It is interesting to see the Mini 3 Pro can reach this range in this test while other tests from others can reach only about 1-1.5km. Wondering if the height (3000m) has anything to do with it ?

Stupid question, but is the Mini 2 remote compatible with the mini 3?
Flight distance is my biggest concern. Shouldn't it be at least the same as with the mini 2?

Stupid question, but is the Mini 2 remote compatible with the mini 3?
Flight distance is my biggest concern. Shouldn't it be at least the same as with the mini 2?
It is compatible. I would think distance should be the same but early reports are it is not, perhaps the antenna in the drone was changed in a way that negatively affects range. We will have to see more detailed tests in the coming days and see the difference between the mini 3 in Europe vs the USA (Europe has reduced range due to radio strength laws.)

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Hi folks,
so I opened the DJ RC and I found these antennas.
They look like monopole antennas with the ground plane on the top and some adaptation to have the radiation lobe more on the front.
Only one of them transmith.
The drone I have also tested but not opened. Only two antennas transmit but not at the same time.
If it is a monopole keep in mind that the radiation pattern is similar to this onw

Attachments

• DJIRC_ant01.jpg
    DJIRC_ant01.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DJIRC_ant02.jpg
    DJIRC_ant02.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DJIRC_ant03.jpg
    DJIRC_ant03.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DJIRC_ant04.jpg
    DJIRC_ant04.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 25
Hi folks,
so I opened the DJ RC and I found these antennas.
They look like monopole antennas with the ground plane on the top and some adaptation to have the radiation lobe more on the front.
Only one of them transmith.
The drone I have also tested but not opened. Only two antennas transmit but not at the same time.
If it is a monopole keep in mind that the radiation pattern is similar to this onw
Thanks. Do you mean with the DJI Smart Controller has 2 antennas inside but only one of them transmits at a time (ie. both transmits but only one working each time) ??

someone flew 5kms in FCC
Unfortunately, my sister-in-law is not reachable, otherwise she could translate Vietnamese, but as said, he did this in FCC with about 5 km in range.Thumbswayup One thing to notice about Vietnam: it is not only heavily congested with motorbikes but has an ubiquitous amount of cell towers for mobiles.

Given that, I see the need for FCC mod going strong. 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: cyborg
Thanks. Do you mean with the DJI Smart Controller has 2 antennas inside but only one of them transmits at a time (ie. both transmits but only one working each time) ??
I think you mean the DJI RC (New DJI RC with Mini 3). From what I measured, it has only one antenna that can transmit. I never seen in my tests the other transmitting.

Even on the drone I only saw two antennas in transmission but not at the same time. They never switched while it was on in test, the only way to switch the TX was to switch the drone off and on.
But I don't know in flight how it behaves and what makes it prefer one antenna or the other in transmission.

I will do further tests

Reactions: David_D
Unfortunately, my sister-in-law is not reachable, otherwise she could translate Vietnamese, but as said, he did this in FCC with about 5 km in range.Thumbswayup One thing to notice about Vietnam: it is not only heavily congested with motorbikes but has an ubiquitous amount of cell towers for mobiles.

Given that, I seen the need for FCC mod going strong. 😆
yess.. if it can go 5km with FCC mode, I am sold

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661