DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Range Test?

I also did my own little test yesterday. Flew out to 2 km and back. Did start breaking up at 2 km, but it was just a test, and I will most likely never fly that far again. I just wanted to put my mind a bit at ease.
was that in urban area or rural.. in urban i get 750m loose signal and the drone returns home

was that in urban area or rural.. in urban i get 750m loose signal and the drone returns home

It was in a rural area, starting from a reasonably high point (around 150 m above sea level), so not much interference. There is a cell tower not too far from the location, though.

Not sure the analogy really works... but I get the point... I just don't think that flying what is well beyond VLOS is a great idea..

I think the most interesting thing would be if DJI actually came out and showed in a video how they determine the range they put in the specs. However, I will not be holding my breath..
You must not want to photograph anything that's more than a few hundred feet from where you can drive or walk to. For people who are doing things like photogrammetry (drone mapping and 3D modeling) it's necessary to fly far beyond VLOS. The regulations don't make sense and haven't caught up to drone capabilities.

I do get that some people buy drones just to see something go up in the air and yeah for them they would have a lot of fun keeping a tiny drone close enough to see

Reactions: Torque
Given no consumer drones have true detect and avoid and most dont even have any form of transponder themselves i'd say the drone capabilities currently have nowhere near caught up to what would be required for beyond visual range flight (which is essentially VFR flight without being physically present).

Anyone requiring EVLOS or BVLOS can get the required qualification, authorisation and hardware needed in most countries.

My successful long range test was in an urban area. Funnily enough over the weekend I couldn't get more than 800m. The range is inconsistent, in my experience, with both remotes. It's a shame that, for the time, we only have 1 battery and no spares to transfer between for proper comparisons.

And that's what you think. There are many fellow pilots that feel just the opposite. For this reason, in part, the FAA is developing rules for BVLOS flight.

Try not to be so narrow in your thinking. There are additional risks flying BVLOS, but they can be mitigated. Just because you have no interest doesn't mean others shouldn't be considered.
If you read my reply, I said "well beyond VLOS", I am sure everyone with potentially very rare exceptions loses visual site of their drone... or flies to capture something interesting that they can see, but your're not going to have a eyes on your drone.

I am not saying never ever... my thinking is not narrow, its more safety related..

If you read my reply, I said "well beyond VLOS"
Not sure why you think "well beyond" makes a quark of difference to the point I was making. Just to be clear, well beyond VLOS was included in my point, so was way way way way way beyond VLOS.

I am not saying never ever... my thinking is not narrow, its more safety related..
That's narrow thinking I was referring to. Why do you think BVLOS flight can not be done safety?

Not sure why you think "well beyond" makes a quark of difference to the point I was making. Just to be clear, well beyond VLOS was included in my point, so was way way way way way beyond VLOS.

That's narrow thinking I was referring to. Why do you think BVLOS flight can not be done safety?
I should think that a minimum requirement for a BVLOS-safe drone would be a 360° camera system with AI scanning for other aircraft -- similar to obstacle avoidance but at a much greater range.

If you can’t figure it out yourself, I’m not going to explain it to you.

I took mine out for its 1st flight today, it wont stop raining here in NSW Australia, but it stopped long enough to get 1 flight in today. you have nothing to worry about, connection was fantastic, I did a bit over 1km run and had full bars all the way, could of gone a lot further but storm clouds were coming and i played it safe. when i turned it to come home it lost a couple of bars, but only for a second, I think the new firmware fixed problems those influencer's were having with connections. you can see the utube video I did on my channel, this is the link.
For anyone interested I have conducted 3 range connection tests on the mini 3 and new controller.
I can say with confidence it has passed all tests, it did over 3km before I lost a couple of bars, could of gone to a least 5k, but it was unnecessary for me, I never go past 1km, but With all the controversy about range problems I had to see for myself, and it passed with flying colours, at least here in Australia.
I'm so happy I sold my mav 2 for the mini, the new controller makes things so much easier, and I think I will b using the mini much more then the mavic.
I won't bother posting my utube here, it will upset to many people, even though the 3km test was conducted on private property. We are living in times where we are over governed and governments that claim they are keeping us safe, in reality just like to impose their power over us. If the us government cared about its people they wouldn't of sent 60 billion to Ukraine for weapons, imagine what 60 billion could do for its own people.
Anyway, thats my rant for today, sorry for going off subject. Conclusion is mini 3 and new controller is a great product.

Reactions: pinzmann
Id be curious to know if the what band people testing are flying on? In Europe/CE region on 5.8Ghz I wouldnt expect the quad to get very far due to the lower power however on 2.4 It may go a little further despite the congestion on the band.

In USA, either band would be fine.

In Australia, its a little bit of a mixed bag. On the 2.4Ghz band the drone operates much like Europe/CE however in the 5.8Ghz the power levels are closer to that of the USA/FCC so may find the range substantially better as that band typically has much less congestion.

On the Mavic 2 series with O2 they utilise both bands with data link running on one band and video link on another however I'm not sure if thats been extended to the Mini 2/3

I should think that a minimum requirement for a BVLOS-safe drone would be a 360° camera system with AI scanning for other aircraft -- similar to obstacle avoidance but at a much greater range.

If your Air 2S or similar size drone is where airplanes are flying, you can't see it so VLOS doesn't have any benefit. You also would not be able to gauge height and proximity visually. Humans just don't have that ability. ADS-B is helpful because it shows you the height and location of aircraft

If your Air 2S or similar size drone is where airplanes are flying, you can't see it so VLOS doesn't have any benefit. You also would not be able to gauge height and proximity visually. Humans just don't have that ability. ADS-B is helpful because it shows you the height and location of aircraft
Providing the aircraft has the box onboard not all of them do.I find its about 50% of aircraft have it when flying
my air 2.So helpful yes,but not a cure all by any means.

Providing the aircraft has the box onboard not all of them do.I find its about 50% of aircraft have it when flying
my air 2.So helpful yes,but not a cure all by any means.

But my point is seeing the drone isn't any better. If I'm flying at 400 feet or lower and an airplane is about to hit it, I will not even see the plane until it's too late unless it was like wide open farmland or ocean, and even then I wouldn't be able to tell whether it's at the same height. It's just geometry

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661