DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro and the FAA

GregS

Reactions
Since the Mini 4 Pro doesn't need registration, do I need FAA clearance to fly it? I understand the rules concerning Airspace. I get FAA approval each time I fly my other 'heavy' drones, just not sure about sub 250 grams and clearance requirements.

Since the Mini 4 Pro doesn't need registration, do I need FAA clearance to fly it? I understand the rules concerning Airspace. I get FAA approval each time I fly my other 'heavy' drones, just not sure about sub 250 grams and clearance requirements.
At this point in America, all rules that apply to the heavier drones also apply to the mini drones except for registration/remoteID if you are flying non-commercial or recreational for fun. Technically no real advantage here for sub-250g drones.

Registration and FAA Airspace Authorization are NOT linked. Anytime you take flight with ANY UAS flying in the National Airspace System, you are required to know your airspace and get authorization if it's Controlled Airspace regardless of weight etc.

@BigAl07 beat me to it. Very accurate answer. Good Luck to the OP

FYI, weigh your Mini 4. It's only <250g with the smaller batteries. Also it says this at the bottom of the Mini 4 Pro page on the DJI site (DJI Mini 4 Pro - Mini to the Max - DJI)

"1. The actual product weight may vary due to differences in batch materials and external factors. Registration is not required in some countries and regions. With the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus, the aircraft will weigh more than 249 g. Always check local laws and regulations before use."

It's DJI's way to saying it's likely your Mini 4 Pro doesn't meet the <250g requirement that exempts it from registration as a recreational drone. Also, make sure you have that memory card in it when you weight it. Also if you put a 3SM strobe on it, it's no longer <250g.

Just register it anyway. It's $5, and it will save you from a hassle if you get called out by an LEO who doesn't understand the <250g rule (assuming yours is <250g).

All other regulations apply. RID exemption for recreational <250g drones is moot for the Mini 4 Pro since it broadcasts RID anyway.

From what I understand, you need faa clearance when approaching controlled airspace or entering any government/state facility or any uncontrolled airspace near an airport (within 2 miles).
And the Mini 4 Pro DOES require registration if it gets over 250 grams (which is case with the flight battery plus or if you attach prop guards).
I'm thinking, it really doesnt matter since the M4P has remote id (RID) where government can track you, anyway (but usually don't)

From what I understand, you need faa clearance when approaching controlled airspace or entering any government/state facility or any uncontrolled airspace near an airport (within 2 miles).
And the Mini 4 Pro DOES require registration if it gets over 250 grams (which is case with the flight battery plus or if you attach prop guards).
I'm thinking, it really doesnt matter since the M4P has remote id (RID) where government can track you, anyway (but usually don't)
While your comment is fairly accurate let's tweak it a bit:

A) there is no defined "distance from an airport" any longer. We utilize maps and aps to give us specific Airspace size and shapes now. The "distance from the airport" is old terminology for the most part.

B) Uncontrolled airspace does not need or have a means to get "Authorization". That's class G airspace and if it happens to be near an airfield enhanced precautions and situational awareness if a MUST!

And to finish what Bigal wrote,
RID and registering the drone are two separate things, somewhat independent from each other.
RID will mostly be used by law enforcement, and if need be forwarded to the FAA, depending how big was your screw up…:)
Registering is strictly FAA.

Have a looks at the B4YouFly app from the FAA for an understanding of controlled airspace. There's a web-based version and an app for portable devices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13