DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini and RTH, what is the return speed mode (C, P or S)?

TeroFin

Reactions
Hi,

Yesterday happened for the first time that the RC lost the connection to Mini and the RTH function was initialized. Sure, I was pushing the limits and this was bound to happen ? :)All went fine, but I was wondering what flight mode Mini selects when coming home. I would assume that if the drone is far and the battery is running out of juice, it would be beneficial to return in the mode where the energy consumption per kilometer/mile is the lowest. And this propably is the C mode, but how is it?

Cheers!

I was wondering what flight mode Mini selects when coming home.
Answer: The drone comes home in RTH Mode
RTH is a separate flight mode.
The normal still air speed of RTH Mode is 8 metres/sec - the same as P Mode.

I would assume that if the drone is far and the battery is running out of juice, it would be beneficial to return in the mode where the energy consumption per kilometer/mile is the lowest. And this propably is the C mode, but how is it?
Go too fast and you burn battery too fast.
Go too slow and you use too much battery just fighting gravity.
The right speed is in between.

Go too fast and you burn battery too fast.
Go too slow and you use too much battery just fighting gravity.
The right speed is in between.

I saw someone who did all the calculations for the phantom here long range drone DJI Phantom 3 professional
and concluded (TLDR - see final graph) DJI had set the top speed a little past the optimum for range, but not so far past it the range became really bad. I tried to gather my own test data from the mini - it suggested 250M in S and 250M in P used the same amount of battery, but wasn't what I would call conclusive. The ideal speed looks like it needs S mode at not quite top speed.

So the aircraft knows exactly the proper speed/Batt capacity ratio for most efficient RTH !?
No .. its return speed is fixed and it's not the most efficient.
And factoring in wind can change everything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato