DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini battery info UPDATE

360 Guy

Reactions
I believe it's only fitting to do an update to a battery problem that was posted and the solution.
This is waht was posted:
"The battery in my mini sat for approx. six months.
Installed in the done, turned it on, three lights light out of the four.
Plug in the charger and two hours later still only three lights lite".

SOLUTION:
I place the problematic battery in the Mini and flew it till battery was depleted.
Charged it and it came up to full charge.
I can't really say that drawing the battery down had anything to do with charging to 100%.
Now, the second battery had the same problem but this time I just placed it in the drone and that to, came up to full charge.
Yes, I'm scratching my head on that, but both batteries a fully now fully charged.
For what it's worth..............after first charging both batteries (both didn't come up to full charge) I left them sit till the next day and they charged up fine.

Maybe my crossed fingers while charging had something to do with it, your guess.

Last edited:
I believe it's only fitting to do an update to a battery problem that was posted and the solution.
This is waht was posted:
"The battery in my mini sat for approx. six months.
Installed in the done, turned it on, three lights light out of the four.
Plug in the charger and two hours later still only three lights lite".

SOLUTION:
I place the problematic battery in the Mini and flew it till battery was depleted.
Charged it and it came up to full charge.
I can't really say that drawing the battery down had anything to do with charging to 100%.
Now, the second battery had the same problem but this time I just placed it in the drone and that to, came up to full charge.
Yes, I'm scratching my head on that, but both batteries a fully now fully charged.
For what it's worth..............after first charging both batteries (both didn't come up to full charge) I left them sit till the next day and they charged up fine.

Maybe my crossed fingers while charging had something to do with it, your guess.
Deep-cycling a battery to a very low charge level is well known as a technique to improve battery life, and revive dead batteries.

Glad it worked!

Deep-cycling a battery to a very low charge level is well known as a technique to improve battery life, and revive dead batteries.
Where did you get that information? According to Saft (who manufacture lithium-ion batteries):

“There is a direct relation between the depth of discharge (DoD) and the cycle life of the battery. The shallower the DoD, the exponentially higher the number of cycles given by a battery. By restricting the possible DoD in your application, you can dramatically improve the cycle life of your product.”

Where did you get that information? According to Saft (who manufacture lithium-ion batteries):

“There is a direct relation between the depth of discharge (DoD) and the cycle life of the battery. The shallower the DoD, the exponentially higher the number of cycles given by a battery. By restricting the possible DoD in your application, you can dramatically improve the cycle life of your product.”

Forgive me, my language was vague. I didn't mean running a battery to *death*, just to a low level, a few %. I frequently run my drones well below 10% when I land.

On the other hand, it's old knowledge, formed around lead-acid batteries. Probably a piece of my knowledge base worth updating.

On the gripping hand, if a lithium-ion battery just isn't working right, it might be worth a shot, to see if if you can "break it loose". I have no information to back up that guess, but if a battery is already not working, the risk of making it not work, can be safely ignored!

Thanks for the info!

I didn't mean running a battery to *death*, just to a low level, a few %. I frequently run my drones well below 10% when I land.
Saft say that for the longest life you should keep them charged to between about 80% and 30%. That may be okay if you use them in a low drain device but it’s clearly not the best strategy for drones as that only gives you about 50% of usable capacity.

Saft say that for the longest life you should keep them charged to between about 80% and 30%. That may be okay if you use them in a low drain device but it’s clearly not the best strategy for drones as that only gives you about 50% of usable capacity.
I'm going to read that link you provided, thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143