DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini crashes.

Gooregonducks

Reactions
I am new to flying drones the mini is my first. I have heard a lot of talk about crashes so I decided to watch some YouTube videos on crashes. What I have seen so far is it’s pretty much all user error. There where a couple of it just randomly descending. In a lot of the videos it seems to be people not scoping out the highest obstacle when setting the RTH night. Most where people pushing the limits to far. Like I shouldn’t go behind this rock or building but ( Mod Removed) it I’m doing it. It defiantly made me feel better. If I take my time, learn what this drone can do, pay attention to what is around me I should be fine. These little drones are amazing technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well go ahead and push it and have fun. You will learn
what it is capable of. Here’s the section you post in
when you have a crash or lose it if that happens.
Might not hurt to read in there just to see what does cause issues.?

I am new to flying drones the mini is my first. I have heard a lot of talk about crashes so I decided to watch some YouTube videos on crashes. What I have seen so far is it’s pretty much all user error. There where a couple of it just randomly descending. In a lot of the videos it seems to be people not scoping out the highest obstacle when setting the RTH night. Most where people pushing the limits to far. Like I shouldn’t go behind this rock or building but ( Mod Removed) it I’m doing it. It defiantly made me feel better. If I take my time, learn what this drone can do, pay attention to what is around me I should be fine. These little drones are amazing technology.
You are quite correct. Most of the time is is totally pilot error. You can add in a good amount of hubris and defiance as to causes of crashes.

As you mentioned, there is a known issue with the MM of the uncommanded descent but that is the cause of only a small number of crashes when compared to pilot error. By seeing all the crash threads here it seems that the single biggest cause is flying in winds that exceed the capability of the MM. Read the manual, practice in a big open field, fly cautiously and ALWAYS check the winds both at ground level and aloft before flying. If the winds even start to approach the design limits of the MM then stay on the ground and fly another day.

As you approach your rock etc. use the drone to measure its height then add 4 or 5 m to that. If the result is higher than your RTH height increase your RTH accordingly. Make sure you know how to use the "find my drone" feature.
One thing I have found is that the mini is unwilling to take off once the battery is around 20% or less so do not try landing at a distance etc. when near these levels. ( I do a lot of up and downs around the home point so it's usually only a step or two for me).
And my favourite, in a safe area experience what happens if RTH is triggered within 20m of the home point.

WHAT IF... u take of from roof of building.. that mean alt is 0 from place u take of.. when u cross the roof it says -30m .. and my RTH is 40m.. is that mean that if drone is somewhere at distance and i press RTH it will CLIMB to ( from exemple -30m to + 30 m = 60 total if it was near ground level) and return to me?
I hope u understand what i am asking :D

The drone will climb to the height of the-takeoff-point/home-point + your-RTH-height.
So, if you set the RTH height to 40m then take off from a rooftop, fly away from the building and drop to 30m BELOW the roof top and then trigger an RTH the drone will climb 70m to ......40m above the rooftop and then return to the homepoint

thanks for clearing that up, first time i lunch it today in city center from roof of 8th flore.. i fly 25m above me just to see city.. wanted to move a liitle forward there is superb view 50m far but i was afraid what can happend.. and below me (on ground level) was lots of car traffic, and at that altitude i received warning strong aircraft signal interference (thats why i asked about RTH question).. so i didnt dare.. for now

One of the first things I did was to set RTH altitude - the default was a bit low for comfort with some of the trees in my area. PROBABLY ok, but bumping it to 40m ensures I'll miss any. Since those are the highest obstacles I doubt it will be a problem.

Flying along a path UNDER the trees - that's a different story. Don't want RTH then!

thanks for clearing that up, first time i lunch it today in city center from roof of 8th flore.. i fly 25m above me just to see city.. wanted to move a liitle forward there is superb view 50m far but i was afraid what can happend.. and below me (on ground level) was lots of car traffic, and at that altitude i received warning strong aircraft signal interference (thats why i asked about RTH question).. so i didnt dare.. for now
To your point about the signal warning when flying 25m above you, did you tilt the controller (or pivot the antennas) to point the flat side (not the tips) towards the mini? You might not have been getting the strongest signal possible even thou the range wasn't far.

Here's a diagram on antenna positioning when above you from the User Manual.

Attachments

• Antenna Direction - Page 29.jpg
    Antenna Direction - Page 29.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 36
To your point about the signal warning when flying 25m above you, did you tilt the controller (or pivot the antennas) to point the flat side (not the tips) towards the mini? You might not have been getting the strongest signal possible even thou the range wasn't far.

Here's a diagram on antenna positioning when above you from the User Manual.

yes I did that.. and warning was ''aircraft in high interference enviroment.. and it was 15m above me.. but realy there was a lot of antennas, and satellite dishes near me..

Sounds like it is not a good place to fly, I'd suggest finding somewhere else, besides.....flying over traffic is a BAD idea as far as I am concerned. If something goes wrong and it falls what is it going to hit and what would a car driver do if they notice it falling towards their car?
Sorry but to me it really does not sound like a good place to fly.

Hi. Just remember the wind factor too. Might seem relatively calm around 20m but as you ascend the wind rapidly could increase. Not sure when using an app such as UAV if the altitudes are taking rooftop launches into their readings of wind speed at launch site or ground zero if you get my drift.
Good rule of thumb, fly in winds no greater than two thirds the drones top speed or beware.
Enjoy.

Well go ahead and push it and have fun. You will learn
what it is capable of. Here’s the section you post in
when you have a crash or lose it if that happens.
Might not hurt to read in there just to see what does cause issues.?
And slight breezes and props that deform and may be the cause of the aircraft falling out of the sky and props that will slice into the body and no front obstacle avoidance....

I'm new to drones also. I have watched a ton of you tube videos and read a lot of forums as well. I take my time and haven't had any problems that I couldn't solve on my own. Happy flying beep.

people, how to change transmission on CE models? i was in open field today and i saw a 5.8 GHZ as transmission, i switch to auto but nothing happends... still 5.8.. how to switch to 2.4 ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78