DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Floats, Bad Idea IMO

Capt KO

Reactions
First crash! I’ve been trying multiple methods with the floats for the Mavic Mini. I was not planning on saving the drone only keeping it floating so I could recover it. Not only did it cut flying time in half, there were multiple motor overload warnings. Add that to the fact that they don’t fly well in the wind, the floats make it horrible flying. They do work, you can land and takeoff from the water, as I have just done. The mini will also switch to load mode automatically which reduces your flight to 100 yards max. I’m going to use the automatic release floats that I got from a member on this forum.

Use at your own risk. I am including the flight data to find out how the mini went into a death spiral at the end. I believe the Y is the floats but no idea what the remote was telling the Mini to do. Have a look please and give me the unpleasant news. Unbelievably, no damage to the drone. Only an open battery door. The floats actually afforded some protection against wife’s new van, garage door frame and concrete wall.

Enjoy the video. Crash at end. Mid part is checking downdraft which went everywhere but down. Vortex spin? No control.
IMG_0197.mov

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-02-09_[18-03-02].txt
    250.1 KB · Views: 41
First crash! I’ve been trying multiple methods with the floats for the Mavic Mini. I was not planning on saving the drone only keeping it floating so I could recover it. Not only did it cut flying time in half, there were multiple motor overload warnings. Add that to the fact that they don’t fly well in the wind, the floats make it horrible flying. They do work, you can land and takeoff from the water, as I have just done. The mini will also switch to load mode automatically which reduces your flight to 100 yards max. I’m going to use the automatic release floats that I got from a member on this forum.
Very interesting.
People post about putting floats on their drone very frequently but none ever come back to report on how they affect flying characteristics of their drones.
It's ironic that the device they strap onto the drone to improve flight safety, is actually making the loss of the drone more likely.

Reactions: Capt KO
Always thought floats would be a bad idea for most consumer drones in general.
With a mini well, the power, excess weight problems . . . good on you for having a go, and letting others know the outcomes.
The getterback (?) might be ok, guess placed behind an arm it shouldn’t restrict airflow too much, nor weight be an issue.

People post about putting floats on their drone very frequently but none ever come back to report on how they affect flying characteristics of their drones.

Simple physics dictates the drone will be top heavy on the water, capsize and remain afloat by the flotation balls but the AC will be under water.

Simple physics dictates the drone will be top heavy on the water, capsize and remain afloat by the flotation balls but the AC will be under water.
What surprised me the most was the fact that they did land and take off fairly well from the water. You just can't keep it in the air. And it's not a duck.

What surprised me the most was the fact that they did land and take off fairly well from the water. You just can't keep it in the air. And it's not a duck.

Off topic a bit, but I ran across this accessory for the Tello. Perhaps the MM is next?06e597ae41218a4cf395932e5b8faad9.jpg38f58463affd8eafdcd1bce4383eabe0.jpgaaa886576d7611c949e992eb46222937.jpg

That is interesting! I know on the Phantom forum, members are looking for the same thing. I've seen that design on other large drones that they use for inspecting pipes. It would have to be extremely light to be able to put on a Mini though. Tello #?

I like the attachment points. I think that would work on the mini, if it's hopefully in the 10-15 g range. Winds, as with any attachment, will increase the effects on the Drone. But, Great for flying through the woods

Reactions: Saigondroner
I like the attachment points. I think that would work on the mini, if it's hopefully in the 10-15 g range. Winds, as with any attachment, will increase the effects on the Drone. But, Great for flying through the woods

Oh, the thing that gave me a chuckle was the description. Hurt your friends, but save the Tello! The last bullet point is hilarious:

* 1-quick disassembly and quick assembly design, easy to use accessories.
* 2-Tailored for dji tello, 360° full protection .
* 3- The new spherical protective cage cover weighs is light.
* 4-high polymer nylon material, good toughness, high flexibility.
* High strength PA&GF plastics injection from a complete mold
* Novice player's essential equipment,
* It also allows you to enjoy the joy of chasing collisions when playing with friends.

Flying Tello Thunderdome

In the nick of time

c57a00f7a5b307f0954d4698c50ca21d.jpg

Reactions: Capt KO

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242