DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini gimbal problem

platty

Reactions
After a crash everything works except the gimbal. Would I be correct in saying this striped data tape has detached. Have been advised to send it in for repairs but thought I would check if anyone has any suggestions. Camera works fine but gimbal not moving.

Attachments

• FEB52377-62D7-48E4-8383-8AADD607A8D6.jpeg
    FEB52377-62D7-48E4-8383-8AADD607A8D6.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 17
After a crash everything works except the gimbal. Would I be correct in saying this striped data tape has detached. Have been advised to send it in for repairs but thought I would check if anyone has any suggestions. Camera works fine but gimbal not moving.
Yes, it does look like the ribbon cable has been severed. I'm not sure if that's what's creating the problem, but it definitely could be something. If you don't have experience fixing things, it's probably best to send it in for repair.

It is possible to DIY replace the cable but it is quite a complicated process the 'first' time through.
Parts of the cable are stuck to the drone's shell ( heat from a hair drier helps in the removal ) and the new one needs to be carefully positioned when sticking it down.
Copious photos of how things are positioned BEFORE the original cable is removed are perhaps advisable.
The 'other' end of the cable attaches to one or more of the drone's circuit boards and I found it better to remove the screws and or perhaps detach mounting rubbers holding those boards in place. (it was a while ago that I did this hence my "one or more" uncertainty)
The cable I used was second hand and did not 'fix' the gimbal but I have not yet tried another cable so I do not know if the problem lies in the replacement cable or the gimbal.

If the gimbal itself has a problem then things get more awkward. The gimbal is electronically paired to a board or boards in the drone and it appears that replacing some components (I don't know which ones) of the gimbal breaks the pairing and re-pairing is not a normal DIY job.
Ditto swapping an entire gimbal assembly.

The above said, I recollect that even with the broken ribbon cable the camera worked and the gimbal did its dance at boot BUT that the gimbal would NOT work in flight etc.

It is possible to DIY replace the cable but it is quite a complicated process the 'first' time through.
Parts of the cable are stuck to the drone's shell ( heat from a hair drier helps in the removal ) and the new one needs to be carefully positioned when sticking it down.
Copious photos of how things are positioned BEFORE the original cable is removed are perhaps advisable.
The 'other' end of the cable attaches to one or more of the drone's circuit boards and I found it better to remove the screws and or perhaps detach mounting rubbers holding those boards in place. (it was a while ago that I did this hence my "one or more" uncertainty)
The cable I used was second hand and did not 'fix' the gimbal but I have not yet tried another cable so I do not know if the problem lies in the replacement cable or the gimbal.

If the gimbal itself has a problem then things get more awkward. The gimbal is electronically paired to a board or boards in the drone and it appears that replacing some components (I don't know which ones) of the gimbal breaks the pairing and re-pairing is not a normal DIY job.
Ditto swapping an entire gimbal assembly.

The above said, I recollect that even with the broken ribbon cable the camera worked and the gimbal did its dance at boot BUT that the gimbal would NOT work in flight etc.
Ok thanks. Sounds like something I should not tackle

To be honest, if you have any reason to suspect that there is a problem with the actual gimbal and or the camera and if the drone is worth anything to you then I too would be inclined to send it in to a dealer etc. who can, if necessary, re-pair the the gimbal and ......whatever....just in case that ends up being needed.
If DJI have a repair centre in Australia it might be you best bet and ask for a quote etc. before they commence any work ( I suspect they would simply send you a replacement drone and then repair yours at their leisure. (That seems to be the way they work elsewhere.) But if you use an independant repairer I would make a point of asking if they have that re-pair capability if needed.
Alternatively look out for a second hand Mavic Mini.
Mine was bought as a sacrificial scrapper, it flies and the camera works so I am not really bothered about fixing it.

Reactions: Gagey52
To be honest, if you have any reason to suspect that there is a problem with the actual gimbal and or the camera and if the drone is worth anything to you then I too would be inclined to send it in to a dealer etc. who can, if necessary, re-pair the the gimbal and ......whatever....just in case that ends up being needed.
If DJI have a repair centre in Australia it might be you best bet and ask for a quote etc. before they commence any work ( I suspect they would simply send you a replacement drone and then repair yours at their leisure. (That seems to be the way they work elsewhere.) But if you use an independant repairer I would make a point of asking if they have that re-pair capability if needed.
Alternatively look out for a second hand Mavic Mini.
Mine was bought as a sacrificial scrapper, it flies and the camera works so I am not really bothered about fixing it.
I think you’re right. I received this replacement drone about 4 weeks ago with the last one having a gimbal problem after a crash so I am going to have to be extremely careful flying in the future

Reactions: Gagey52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa