DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini IPad

UptightTO

Reactions
Rookie question.....I want to use an Apple Mini Ipad as a dedicated controller ....which one do I need?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: NAVMAV and WAXMAN
My mini 4 works great but I can't transmit from the drone to the ipad in HD or it will overload the cpu on the ipad. This just may be my experience. My ipad is not a dedicated controller so I have all kinds of other junk loaded on it as well.
I haven't heard if this is an issue on the new ipad mini 5.

Question within a question. How do I make my mini ipad 5 into a dedicated controller??

I say dedicated meaning the device doesn't get used for anything other than controlling your drone and a handful of drone apps to help with weather, NFZ's, ect..

Reactions: NAVMAV
Des the IPad Mini' need to be both cell and WiFi capable or just WiFi?
While cellular service is not required to fly, it will allow you to do these things (if needed):
  • You'll be able to use DJI GO features that require an Internet connection (like downloading maps or streaming flights live to YouTube).

• You'll be able to reset the home point to your current location (if you move away from the original home point after taking off).

Reactions: UptightTO
GPS will function without cellular service. That's what's needed to set the home point to your current location. If you also want to connect to the Internet, you'll need to activate the cellular service.

Keep in mind the resale value will be better on the cell version.

Keep in mind the resale value will be better on the cell version.
Thanks for your prompt reply's....I'll buy the cell and WIFI capable IPad mini 6 at my local Walmart this evening....Even if I could get the Samsung S8+ to connect...the IPad offers reliability which is value added when flying expensive drones...Again...Thanks

Bought an i pad mini 2 on ebay second hand. Factory reset it to get rid of all the rubbish. Downloaded go4 and it runs perfectly for the last year or so. Set it to airplane mode to stop it from interfering with wifi.

Reactions: hactick
I purchased the iPad Mini 5 about four weeks ago. I got the cellular option. Here's what you need to know.

1. Get the cellular option. This is expensive, but it is a one-time expense and it opens up what you can do with the iPad when you use it as something other than a controller. I know you say you plan on this being a "dedicated" controller, but the fact that it can do so many more things means you will probably use it for something else.

2. Get a mount. I designed and built my own using my 3D printer (I've posted about this), but most people will buy one. It is barely possible to fit it into the Mavic 2 controller handles, but it puts quite a strain on the bezel and quite a lot of force on the handles.

3. Get a super-cheap phone plan. I don't own a cell/smart phone and never have. However, I was able to get free phone service for my iPad 5 and also got a near-free data plan. I now have the world's cheapest cell phone.

How?

For the phone, you can get a VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) number from any of dozens of providers. Google provides the phone number for free. I chose to use PhonePower and pay the trivial sum of $35/year ($2/month). I chose to spend this paltry amount because not only can I now send and receive crystal clear phone calls anywhere in this country (USA), but I also get voicemail and can receive faxes (only happens about 1-2 times a year now).

As it turns out, I already had this VOIP number from PhonePower and can now answer incoming calls either on any of my old home phones, or on my iPad, even when I'm away from home.

4. Get a super-cheap data plan. I did some research and found that T-Mobile has a 5 GB 3-month pre-paid data plan for $30 ($10/month). Since you normally use the iPad with Wi-Fi, you only use this cellular data when out in the field, such as when you are flying at places other than your house, and when you use the iPad to pick up messages or make a phone call (which uses very little data) I probably won't even come close to using up my 5 GB (I used less than 15% in the first month).

So, I ended up with:

A fantastic controller (the 5's screen is brighter than previous iPads);​
A "cell phone" that finally lets me make a call from the car​
A texting device that connects to anyone with an iPhone, via iMessage.​
A very nice device for watching movies through my TV service and dozens of other fun ways to "consume" digital content (i.e., music).​

I am a big fan of using the iPad Mini Generation 5 as a controller for my Mavic 2 Pro, and highly recommend it.

I purchased the iPad Mini 5 about four weeks ago. I got the cellular option. Here's what you need to know.

1. Get the cellular option. This is expensive, but it is a one-time expense and it opens up what you can do with the iPad when you use it as something other than a controller. I know you say you plan on this being a "dedicated" controller, but the fact that it can do so many more things means you will probably use it for something else.

2. Get a mount. I designed and built my own using my 3D printer (I've posted about this), but most people will buy one. It is barely possible to fit it into the Mavic 2 controller handles, but it puts quite a strain on the bezel and quite a lot of force on the handles.

3. Get a super-cheap phone plan. I don't own a cell/smart phone and never have. However, I was able to get free phone service for my iPad 5 and also got a near-free data plan. I now have the world's cheapest cell phone.

How?

For the phone, you can get a VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) number from any of dozens of providers. Google provides the phone number for free. I chose to use PhonePower and pay the trivial sum of $35/year ($2/month). I chose to spend this paltry amount because not only can I now send and receive crystal clear phone calls anywhere in this country (USA), but I also get voicemail and can receive faxes (only happens about 1-2 times a year now).

As it turns out, I already had this VOIP number from PhonePower and can now answer incoming calls either on any of my old home phones, or on my iPad, even when I'm away from home.

4. Get a super-cheap data plan. I did some research and found that T-Mobile has a 5 GB 3-month pre-paid data plan for $30 ($10/month). Since you normally use the iPad with Wi-Fi, you only use this cellular data when out in the field, such as when you are flying at places other than your house, and when you use the iPad to pick up messages or make a phone call (which uses very little data) I probably won't even come close to using up my 5 GB (I used less than 15% in the first month).

So, I ended up with:

A very nice device for watching movies through my TV service and dozens of other fun ways to "consume" digital content (i.e., music).​

I am a big fan of using the iPad Mini Generation 5 as a controller for my Mavic 2 Pro, and highly recommend it.
Wow...Thanks for the very detailed response....

How?

So, I ended up with:

Wow...Thanks for the very detailed response....

If you already have a mobile phone with a Data plan think about whether or not you need to buy another phone/data plan for the iPad as suggested above.

You can perform all of your data related stuff such as updating the NFZ database and firmware updates when connected to your home wi-fi. Having cell and internet connectivity when in the field will not greatly enhance the drone flying experience.

If you already have a mobile phone with a Data plan think about whether or not you need to buy another phone/data plan for the iPad as suggested above.

You can perform all of your data related stuff such as updating the NFZ database and firmware updates when connected to your home wi-fi. Having cell and internet connectivity when in the field will not greatly enhance the drone flying experience.
Good point about adding it to an existing plan. In my case, when I looked at that, it was going to be a LOT more expensive because AT&T, which is the carrier for my family's cell phones, did not offer anything even close to the $10/month price I quoted.

Thanks Pete...I have a cell phone and came to the same conclusion....

Reactions: deleted member 877
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones