DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Mavic blow out over the ocean in Delaware, a mile out.

A brick is a hard solid rectangular object that weights 5 lbs! Is a mavic mini a proper analogy?

288 mph is an AVERAGE arrow speed, not twice an arrow speed. An arrow has a pin pointed head to focus all the energy in one tiny spot. The mavic mini does not. It's much bigger than a pin point and flexible. If an arrow was shot at your parked airplane or whatever a moony is, it better deflect it, or that's pathetic. My kids acrylic playset bubble would deflect all the arrows I wanted to shoot at it.

I'm a gun person and somewhat an bow person.

Is your aircraft still plexiglass? I'm 46 years old and when I was 15 years old making RC cars and trucks, the new thing was Lexan. Isn't Lexan or something else by now better?

How old are your windows? Doesn't the FAA make you upgrade for safety over the years?

On arrow speed, not quite . . . see: How Fast can an Arrow Travel? – Soar Valley Archers

Almost all civil aircraft use Plexiglas (Acrylic). It is lightweight, optically clearer than glass, and scratches can be polished out. Lexan, while being much stronger mechanically than Plexi, does not deal with UV so well, and scratches can't be polished out satisfactorily (which is a major downside).

The windows in my aircraft are Mooney 201 (1987), Husky A1-B (2005), and Schleicher ASH-26E (2003). There is no FAA mandated replacement time - replacement would be on condition if deemed unairworthy.

Either airplanes don't do arrows well, or don't fly low over Indian Reservations . . . your call.

PiperArrow.jpg

On arrow speed, not quite . . . see: How Fast can an Arrow Travel? – Soar Valley Archers

Almost all civil aircraft use Plexiglas (Acrylic). It is lightweight, optically clearer than glass, and scratches can be polished out. Lexan, while being much stronger mechanically than Plexi, does not deal with UV so well, and scratches can't be polished out satisfactorily (which is a major downside).

The windows in my aircraft are Mooney 201 (1987), Husky A1-B (2005), and Schleicher ASH-26E (2003). There is no FAA mandated replacement time - replacement would be on condition if deemed unairworthy.

Either airplanes don't do arrows well, or don't fly low over Indian Reservations . . . your call.

View attachment 89587

Okay, thank you for the information. I'll look into it by asking my local tiny airport dudes where I buy my non ethanol gas from. by the way, at first while writing this, I assumed and was hoped that you were telling the truth. I thought you were, then I see this dramatic picture. (Removed by Moderator) Back to the subject, we weren't talking about the body of the airplane, we were talking about the curved plastic glass. I told you that I'm use to REAL LIFE and you show me this?. (Removed by Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, well, I'm not too comfortable with the terms and conditions of that site. I'll post a few screen shots of my flight log and have to leave it at that:

The screen shots are no use for flight analysis but, since the cause of this incident is obvious, it doesn't really matter.

-snip-

I told you that I'm use to REAL LIFE and you show me this?. Dumbest F'ing thing I've seen in a long time. What would it take a flying airplane to receive THAT MANY ARROWS at say only 300 feet up? Probably 10 times that amount of people shooting, that hit it, likely more. Probably 50 times. Where in this world are 5000 "Indians" waiting with bows and arrows ready to shoot at a low passing airplane? Go away.

Tough time recognizing humor? . . .

That hyper-ventilated plane is supposed to be an "art?" exhibit: Hundreds of Wooden Arrows Pierce Airplane from Below

BTW, when I first saw a picture of that plane years ago, I thought it was pretty dumb too, but then there's a lot about modern art (or whatever one calls it) I don't understand.

yeah, well, I'm not too comfortable with the terms and conditions of that site. I'll post a few screen shots of my flight log and have to leave it at that:

400m AGL? you kinda ask for it...Where I live there are maybe 2-3 days in a year when it is not too windy at that alt for MM. I'm not even commenting on all legal aspects of anything higher than 120m. Trust me it is better it flew away, for everyone... your post #28 - brilliant analysis... but what about super Indians with automatic bows???

yeah, I was hoping no one responded to that. I did nothing wrong that I know of. I was super concerned about doing the legal thing since I was near a major military base, out on the water on a boat, so I viewed the no fly area map ahead of time and saw that I was well outside of it. I wanted to record my friends boat we were on and record kids on the tubes behind the boat. It appears to me the military had a system in place that didn't quite follow the no fly zone and took over my mavic pro. 4 different times it happened. Why would I do it multiple times? because the first time i took off from an anchored boat and later thought that maybe the movement messed something up on start up, so an hour or so later tried it again; the next 2 times (or was it one time? this was maybe 2 years ago) was from shore. the 4th time was from down river on the boat. So much to explain in details right now, I don't feel like investing in it. But here are two big things: before i took off the first time, a pop up box came up, never seen before, never seen since. It said something like, "If you choose to fly in this area, you are responsible for what happens to your aircraft if you fly in this area" some kind of wording that was unique that I haven't seen again. I clicked the box, OK. Then when flying each time over the water trying to show all the cool anchored boats, the video: gimble or the whole drone would rock all around, then face the direction of the military base, then fly towards it at like 1 mph. I would try to do full reverse or spin it around. Nothing worked except the return to home button. On the first flight from the anchored boat, i took over when near the boat and landed it. From the land return to home, I think i took over when it got near. The 4th flight was scary as crap. I thought i was down river enough to take off from the boat and then have the boat move, towing the kids behind it. Well, the drone was taken over again , but I couldn't tell it to go HOME cause it was just water now. The drone was facing the base and flying that way at about 0.5 mph and only 10 feet high off the water, with me going in full reverse on the stick, which did slow it down. We got the boat near it, but i could not move it side to side at all. My friend wanted to grab it. I told him don't , it will fight you, I've seen videos. He said he wanted to reach out and grab it. And I said it was up to him, stay away from the propellers. He grabbed it in the belly and pulled it down, it fought briefly and stopped. That's my short version.
Without investigating the flight data, all you can do is guess and you'll almost certainly be wrong as to the cause of the incident.
The data will show so much more information than the pilot is aware of.
I think it's unlikely that it happened the way you've guessed.

Reactions: Pietros

Also my mavic pro might become illegal soon if the new FAA law goes into effect that says my pro needs an identification emitting software. I got an email from FAA a few weeks ago. (going to see if there is forum talk on this subject next).
[/QUOTE]
Crazy story. Two things struck me though. One was the military taking over one of your flights. Love more details. The second is your assertion that Mavic Pros may soon be illegal? As a guy who is a MP owner and struggling to get certified...that concerns me. I’m not aware of Registration Software and the possibility of MP’s becoming illegal. Love some elaboration from you or ADMIN about that. But, truly sorry for your loss.

Reactions: TheXmanJDD
I have MA and A new MM and noticed that when flying both in the same wind speed I get a high wind warning with the Mini and not the MA. Thanks for you story it makes me fly more cautious and not careless. Sorry for your loss Xman I'v had crashes in the past it's like loosing a pet.

Reactions: TheXmanJDD

Also my mavic pro might become illegal soon if the new FAA law goes into effect that says my pro needs an identification emitting software. I got an email from FAA a few weeks ago. (going to see if there is forum talk on this subject next).
Crazy story. Two things struck me though. One was the military taking over one of your flights. Love more details. The second is your assertion that Mavic Pros may soon be illegal? As a guy who is a MP owner and struggling to get certified...that concerns me. I’m not aware of Registration Software and the possibility of MP’s becoming illegal. Love some elaboration from you or ADMIN about that. But, truly sorry for your loss.
[/QUOTE]

I would not say soon, 4-5 years or so, here is a good video explaining it:

Reactions: Kevin Fantroy
To be honest, I don't believe it was the wind, I have had this happen three times in only four flight, forward on joystick does not work and when activated drone seems to lose power and descend. I have found threads stating new blades help, also I updated firmware via phone and read that updating via fly assistant on PC could help. Did that yesterday and fly assistant stayed there were some problems with firmware, I compatible or something. Updated with PC and now says good, going to change the blades and if weather is good rest this weekend. The o e flight this happen to when I would push forward stick drone would drop to ground, letting off the stick drone would ascend until I activated forward again. Had to bounce it back to me. Up down, up down. Getting very frustrated with my mini so far, hoping this weekend proves different.

To be honest, I don't believe it was the wind, I have had this happen three times in only four flight, forward on joystick does not work and when activated drone seems to lose power and descend. I have found threads stating new blades help, also I updated firmware via phone and read that updating via fly assistant on PC could help. Did that yesterday and fly assistant stayed there were some problems with firmware, I compatible or something. Updated with PC and now says good, going to change the blades and if weather is good rest this weekend. The o e flight this happen to when I would push forward stick drone would drop to ground, letting off the stick drone would ascend until I activated forward again. Had to bounce it back to me. Up down, up down. Getting very frustrated with my mini so far, hoping this weekend proves different.

These are two quite different types of issue. A few Mavic Minis have exhibited the uncommanded descent behavior, which may or may not be related to a propeller problem, as reported. The other incidents, however, are simple cases of flying in winds too strong for the aircraft to handle. This was one of those.

These are two quite different types of issue. A few Mavic Minis have exhibited the uncommanded descent behavior, which may or may not be related to a propeller problem, as reported. The other incidents, however, are simple cases of flying in winds too strong for the aircraft to handle. This was one of those.
You probably are correct, I can tell you though it felt just like the wind was too strong for it.on some of these occasions, I believe I got high wind warning like normal and just wouldn't move, I have not flown mine very far yet so have recovered each time but would like some confidence to fly it over the lakes this summer. Just to help I am.going to label each battery to see if one specifically causes this issue, I have flown it with no issues, maybe I have a bad battery...

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH