DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini modifications

I'm pretty sure it's been shown all drones sink, and pretty fast.

I would be in a boat so getting to it would not be a problem.

That is the main thing with the getterback, to be able to get to it . . .

. . . and, even though it is a bright fluro colour, the float isn't too big,.
Waves would hide it very easily, so unless close, or dead calm sea / river etc, it might be very hard to spot.

Searching from the sky for anything in the ocean is extremely hard, unless dead calm, any 'white caps' make even finding a person hard enough, even when wearing a bright coloured PDF / life jacket.

Edit typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
I would not be searching from the sky because my drone would be in the water:). I would be in Boston Harbor on one of the islands so I would not be in heavy seas and I don't think the drone would be too far off shore. I just don't want to have something attached to the drone that might actually cause it to crash, after all it is a mini and can't lift too much.

I did a search but I only found one instance from 3 years ago and he was talking about attaching a Galaxy Tab A SM-T290 but this thing isn't much bigger than my Samsung S9. I am trying to attach a Galaxy Tab 2 that I already have.
I use a SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A Wifi 2019 SMT290 bought in Switzerland from a Swiss store (so most probably European version). Had to side-load the APK file for the DJI Fly App, but works without problems. Key for success is the tablet needs to be 64-bit hardware, the Android needs to be a 64-bit version (with is not the case for all 64-bit hardware). As the T290 has 2GB only, the DJI Fly App does not load form the store. DJI Website as well as trusted AKP repositories have the APK file to side-load. Developer mode needs to be unlocked and APK installation set to ON.

Reactions: m80116
I would not be searching from the sky because my drone would be in the water:).

That was a comparo as it would be generally easier to see things from the sky when searching than at wave height.
Of course you still need a boat as well as a lot of luck finding a getterback, it's designed for dropping fishing gear (like a rod / reel) overboard, the float comes up probably within reach or a short boat ride, which you are conveniently located in.
Fine for use very close to shore, but a swim may be needed.

Reactions: FireAnt
My only concern would be that it might alter the flight. I would not be flying it far offshore and as I said I would be in a 23 foot center console, so as long as the gps showed me the last position I should be able to use boat gps to find it.

My only concern would be that it might alter the flight. I would not be flying it far offshore and as I said I would be in a 23 foot center console, so as long as the gps showed me the last position I should be able to use boat gps to find it.

I don't think that would make a lot of difference, even on a mini.
If it's going to blow away with t getterback fitted, it'd be gone anyhow.

The motors easily adjust to whatever slight imbalance there might be to flight.

I'd consider mounting onto a rear arm, along a back edge, so it's in the same slipstream as the arm.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the arms strength, or the arms integrity with flex.
Mini have that problems with the material and / or design, to keep the weight down.

Adding anything to the arms might alter how the arm supports itself, and as it's a known thing the props can touch the body on the Mini, that could increase the issue.

@old man mavic strengthened his arms to stop the flex, so he might have some thoughts on this aspect.

Agreed that you should do some searching before getting a tablet. It seems that most of the iPads made in the last few years will work (and minis fit the the controller arms) while most Android tablets don't. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" 2019 model SM-T290 that I bought from my local Best Buy for $129 and it works great. The situation can be confusing though because others have tried the same model without luck. I think it has to do with the fact that the units that are made for the European market with Exynos processors don't work while the ones made for sale in North America have a Qualcomm processor and do work. As far as I know none of the Tab A 10" units will work but Samsung does have other 10" models that work but are much more expensive. Some searching will reveal models from other manufacturers as well.

And one more thing:
Odds are that when you go to install the Fly app on any Android tablet you won't find it in the Play Store and will have to download directly from the DJI website and side load it. That process might require you to put the device in "developer mode" and/or change some permissions. In my case the Fly app installed on my Tab A automatically when I synced it to my Galaxy A70 phone but it doesn't update automatically.
Hi there,
Are you using tha A70 with the Mavic Mini? How does it work?
Thnx Ron

Thomas you hit the nail on the head. I just want to get the body back so that I can return it and get a new one. Just as you said I am concerned about putting something on the drone that will change it's flight capabilities. My suspicions are that it will sink but still not completely so that I could recover it, that's why I think a small piece of self sticking foam might not corrupt the flight but allow it to just stay enough on the surface so I could recover it. I would be in a boat so getting to it would not be a problem. I just found a post where someone reports his drone lost at sea and is trying to recover the logs for DJI but he did not say if he actually saw it sink or he just could not get to it to recover it. I asked but did not get response as of now.
Hi! I have the same desire: recover the drone if falls on water to send to DJI.
Did you manage to produce the float device to stick in the MM?

I put a shaped piece of styrofoam on top of the drone.
It is not too wide so that the blades won’t touch it and it is as long as the mini, the thickness (height) is about 1.5”.
To figure out what ever method you choose will keep the Mini afloat, the drone weighs 249 grams so get a baggie with 250 grams of sand or something and see if the amount of foam you choose will keep it from sinking.
my styrofoam is sanded smooth and is aerodynamic, I have not noticed any changes in flight dynamics even with full speed and full deflection of the controls.
now you have something to send back to DJI (after you borrow a boat).

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I put a shaped piece of styrofoam on top of the drone.
It is not too wide so that the blades won’t touch it and it is as long as the mini, the thickness (height) is about 1.5”.
To figure out what ever method you choose will keep the Mini afloat, the drone weighs 249 grams so get a baggie with 250 grams of sand or something and see if the amount of foam you choose will keep it from sinking.
my styrofoam is sanded smooth and is aerodynamic, I have not noticed any changes in flight dynamics even with full speed and full deflection of the controls.
now you have something to send back to DJI (after you borrow a boat).
Interesting. A picture would be nice...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS