DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CareyL

Reactions
How about a new Mini Mods sub-form. Often although well intentioned suggestions that are valid for one of the other Mavic forums are not for the Mini. It uses different software and the MC, although looking similar, is not the same. Here's my contribution:

Tablet holder & OTG power bank.
I made the frame from flat Aluminum and pop rivets purchased at a hardware store. I also velcro a power bank on the back and attach to the tablet via an OTG. Balance is good.

When MC is not powered on both MC and tablet are being charged by 2.1 A power bank. When MC is powered on only tablet is charging and communicating with MC. Sometimes it is necessary to disconnect the power to make the MC/tablet connection; then reattach the power.

Attachments

• MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Mini Frame Complete.jpg
    Mini Frame Complete.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 339
  • Mini Frame.jpg
    Mini Frame.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Mavic mini, with mavic air motors, mavic air master air screw props, custom battery

Over 1 hour of flight :)

Wow very impressive ! I wonder if it would fly on a laptop battery like this:

After cell removal from the plastic bracket, it could be very light at 52WH

I stand behind against Cary's method of power connection. You do not want to feed external power to the RC when in data mode.
When the RC is connected to and communicating with a phone/tablet, the RC USB is placed into A mode using an OTG cable while the phone/tablet remains in B mode.
A device in A mode is sending power out of the USB port for the B device to use. If you apply power to a USB port in A/OTG mode, you are pushing the river upstream. This could damage power circuits in the RC.
What would be OK is to isolate the power leads in the USB and apply external power ONLY to the phone/tablet.
If you consider cutting the power leads and not supply power to the phone at all, whether from the RC or external power, the phone may likely disable the USB.

Maybe it's time you did some real testing instead of rumour mongering. When the Mini RC is off it accepts a charge from a power bank. When it is on it does not but your phone/tablet will charge and still communicate with the RC if you use an OTG cable. For tablets outdoors this is of real value since they have significant power consumption especially with a bright screen. A tested and true statement; not gossip.

I stand behind against Cary's method of power connection. You do not want to feed external power to the RC when in data mode.
When the RC is connected to and communicating with a phone/tablet, the RC USB is placed into A mode using an OTG cable while the phone/tablet remains in B mode.
A device in A mode is sending power out of the USB port for the B device to use. If you apply power to a USB port in A/OTG mode, you are pushing the river upstream. This could damage power circuits in the RC.
What would be OK is to isolate the power leads in the USB and apply external power ONLY to the phone/tablet.
If you consider cutting the power leads and not supply power to the phone at all, whether from the RC or external power, the phone may likely disable the USB.

But is there cables that only let the data through but not the power?, sometime I forget to charge my phone fully and it will suck the life out of the controller.

Mavic mini, with mavic air motors, mavic air master air screw props, custom battery

Dear Justin , did you change parameter as no dji battery or using mavic air lipo You leave dji battery ? or did you change other parameter?

Dear Justin , did you change parameter as no dji battery or using mavic air lipo You leave dji battery ? or did you change other parameter?

You have to set battery_type = 0

I use mavic pro cells as a external battery

No other parameters are needed to be changed

Maybe it's time you did some real testing instead of rumour mongering. When the Mini RC is off it accepts a charge from a power bank. When it is on it does not but your phone/tablet will charge and still communicate with the RC if you use an OTG cable. For tablets outdoors this is of real value since they have significant power consumption especially with a bright screen. A tested and true statement; not gossip.
I don't understand how you say it is rumor. You obviously do not understand how USB modes work despite my repeated explanation.
Will it absolutely damage the RC? I can't say. But I can say you're pushing current in the opposite direction it was designed for in the configuration you have it so I can say with confidence you are taking your chances. Do you have the schematic of the RC and studied it?
Even if you aren't causing harm to the electronics, are you sure the lipo battery is being properly regulated for the unusual charge current? Lipos aren't like NiMH where you can parallel them with a power source.

When RC is off and you use,a regular (not OTG) cable, the RC puts the port into B mode where it configures and expects a charge current. RC will do this even when powered on.

However when you use an OTG cable, you're telling the RC to be in A mode. An A mode expects to control data to the device it is connected to, and to supply the connected device with power.

With the other Mavics that have the standard A port on the bottom, you use that to connect to your phone, while the side port remains in B mode. Nobody would try to push power into that A port, but that's exactly what you are doing, except in a micro USB form factor.
With the other Mavics, you can use the side port to charge while using the A port, as the side port is in B mode. If you connect an OTG cable, like the included short cables, the bottom port won't work for data.

Reactions: LankALank
You have to set battery_type = 0

I use mavic pro cells as a external battery

No other parameters are needed to be changed
Many thanks , my question is because I try to understand the battery parameter of Japan version that use lipo battery , but unfortunately I have no connection with a Japan mini modder

I wanted the Japan battery, so I wouldn't have to rely on what we call a magic board. Magic boards allow us to plug in whatever battery we want.... However magic boards that I try to make for the mini keep locking up becoming unusable after a week...

Having a Japanese battery, only weighing 50 grams instead of 100 grams , would allow for me to keep a battery inside the mini and plug in externals without adding much more weight... Weight is everything on the mini.

I have produced a new magic board that I'm testing now to see if it locks up or not. Check out the pictures...

Attachments

• received_487430038832653.jpeg
    received_487430038832653.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 207
  • received_655849318503396.jpeg
    received_655849318503396.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 190
  • received_192267732061029.jpeg
    received_192267732061029.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20200223_193005.jpg
    IMG_20200223_193005.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20200218_001222.jpg
    IMG_20200218_001222.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20200218_001239.jpg
    IMG_20200218_001239.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20200218_001246.jpg
    IMG_20200218_001246.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 168
Why in the world do you have all this mess. The tablet will fit in the grips.
Why all the wiring? How do you hold this and fly?
Why all the tape?
How about a new Mini Mods sub-form. Often although well intentioned suggestions that are valid for one of the other Mavic forums are not for the Mini. It uses different software and the MC, although looking similar, is not the same. Here's my contribution:

Tablet holder & OTG power bank.
I made the frame from flat Aluminum and pop rivets purchased at a hardware store. I also velcro a power bank on the back and attach to the tablet via an OTG. Balance is good.

When MC is not powered on both MC and tablet are being charged by 2.1 A power bank. When MC is powered on only tablet is charging and communicating with MC. Sometimes it is necessary to disconnect the power to make the MC/tablet connection; then reattach the power.

And hot glue?
What in the world is going on here?
Why in the world do you have all this mess. The tablet will fit in the grips.
Why all the wiring? How do you hold this and fly?
Why all the tape?

How did you attached dji spark motors to mavic mini without esc power error.
These motors have different resistance value.
Would like to know how you made it. Ive replaced mine but got errors.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+