DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Night Flying

CarltonNYC

Reactions
Hello and Happy Holidays to all the Drone fans!

I tried flying my Mavic Mini at night for the first time and it was totally out of control. Please let me know what I'm missing or doing wrong.

Thanks!!!

You will need to post some video or your flight logs for anyone to help you... I have no idea what you mean by "out of control" :)

Reactions: CarltonNYC
You will need to post some video or your flight logs for anyone to help you... I have no idea what you mean by "out of control" :)
Many thanks for your reply. I've decided night flying is above my pay grade currently. But I couldn't resist the light show I'm going to visit. I go every year and this year I wanted the view from above. Not a flight, just a vertical and a pan.

Maybe I'll have the chops for it next year.

Totally out of control seems odd. The logs will help determine what was really going on. I fly at night quite often and the only noticeable difference is when it lands. Sensors will react differently with no light.

In the absence of flight logs to pinpoint the issue, it sounds like you've taken off without GPS lock.

As it was dark the optical positioning system would have been ineffective and the drone would be flying it ATTI mode, where the pilot needs to actively compensate for drifting due to wind, and any horizontal movements require the pilot to manually slow the craft down by applying opposite stick.

If you've never flown in Atti mode before it can feel as if it is out of control. In reality full control is put in the hands of the pilot as opposed to the aircraft having control of position keeping and braking.

I had the same problem trying to fly at night. Even after a calibration of the gps and drone. I will try again but with bright light on the back porch [emoji106][emoji120]

I occasionally fly at night, low and slow in my neighbourhood just to get a few eerie street scene type shots, never more than about 18-19 metres high and 30 metres distance. Never have a problem, even when landing with just a porch light on. Might have been poor GPS or even ground level wind gusts knocking it about. Do you live near highrises or places that catch/create local wind microclimate or GPS block.

Maybe try compass calibration. Depending on your device, the device (as opposed to aircraft) compass can be out by several degrees every flight. Probably not but worth a shot.
Device compass has no bearing on how the AC would fly. It only serves to determine which way you are facing so indicators can show where the AC is relative to which way you are facing.

I flew my Mini at night and did not have any problems.

I make sure however that I have good GPS lock before taking off and flying in the dark black yonder ;)

Both on and off-topic
Here is a night flight video I took the other day. Good GPS lock and calm weather. Every part of the video was shot on my Mavic Mini 1.

The first part is my installing Christmas lights and is shaky because of high microclimate winds around the house. 4 days to install the lights and 4 days of wind and rain! Resolve stabilised the life out of it but apologies anyway. The night flying is in the second half so scroll to about 3:45 into the video.

Merry Christmas, Happy whatever you missed and are celebrating now, and a Happy New Year. Happy Flying.

Last edited:
Well what a fab show of lights very nice indeed, loved the music.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

I tried flying at night after only having the Mini 2 for a week. It headed straight for the woods behind my house, but stopped just short of the trees. Got the drone to head back to me and took some photos. When trying to land it, it just started floating around, and finally hit the back of the house. Going to practice the controls and learn how to counter these moves faster before trying again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom