DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Update Return to home point during flight

edlloyd

Reactions
Hi all. Having a lot of fun with the new mini. when starting a flight it does the initial home point. RTH works good in that instance and comes close as can be expected on a drone without precision landing sensors. One thing that is either not working or I cant figure out is updating the home point during flight.

i go into the settings and hit update home point and set it to where my controller is. Every time it is way off (nowhere close, maybe 50 ft away)

Can someone give me some quick tips on how to set this properly and how to use it. i see the home point settings in that map too but i can't get it updated there. is that just to show the homepoint and the AC location?

a little confused.

TIA

Hi all. Having a lot of fun with the new mini. when starting a flight it does the initial home point. RTH works good in that instance and comes close as can be expected on a drone without precision landing sensors. One thing that is either not working or I cant figure out is updating the home point during flight.

i go into the settings and hit update home point and set it to where my controller is. Every time it is way off (nowhere close, maybe 50 ft away)

Can someone give me some quick tips on how to set this properly and how to use it. i see the home point settings in that map too but i can't get it updated there. is that just to show the homepoint and the AC location?

a little confused.

TIA
When you use set HP to controller it rely on your device GPS position, if that is off the HP will be that to...

Are you flying in Airplane mode (on phone)? I think that shuts off GPS, but never tried it myself.

You can download the Mavic Mini manual from here ... https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_en_1.pdf
Pages 12, 13 & 14 cover RTH - but don't tell you anything about 'dynamic' update of the Home Point.
The Go Fly menu will give you an 'Update Home Point' icon - but that will require that your mobile device has a GPS receiver itself, as that's what the Mavic will get the instruction from, to change its Home Point. The problem you are having might be due to the GPS receiver not being very good in your phone ...

Reactions: old man mavic
Note! Every time you reset the home point , it's resetting the home point to your drone location not your remote! It will always return to that point not to you.

You cannot change locations using the map. It's just going to show you where you set it up at the beginning of the flight or the new location of your home point if you have changed it during flight. The new home point will be wherever the Drone is located when you reset it.

Please download the manual especially the return to home section

You cannot change locations using the map. It's just going to show you where you set it up at the beginning of the flight or the new location of your home point if you have changed it during flight. The new home point will be wherever the Drone is located when you reset it.

Please download the manual especially the return to home section
as @FoxhallGH said it does not mention anything about what happens when you press update home point in the app my understanding was the same as yours, that it resets the home point to where the drone is at the time

It's great to use if you are walking with the Drone following you in some way. You don't want it going back to the place you started your walk (HP). You want it to land as close to you as possible so resetting home point during the walk makes it simple. It will return to the last home Point set. Make sure you set your height correctly.

The GPS coordinates for the HP are stored in the drone itself, not the app or controller. Otherwise, how could it return to home when it loses connection to the controller.

a neat trick i saw in an internet video was a chap who flew his drone to a point on a large tract of land that was taking him back towards his home as he was flying he started to walk in the same direction when he was halfway to the drone he reset the home point to where the drone was, he continued walking and then pressed RTH because the drone was less than the distance from the home point where it would rise up to RTH, it just landed and he was waiting for it when it came down the point he was making, was how you can walk with the drone and reset the home point so you are near to it if you need to do a RTH or if it does a RTH because of some issue with connection

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000