DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini2 to IPad mini 4th or 5th gen

bill1950

Reactions
Hi, I am totally confused on IPad mini compatibility with my Mini 2. I am currently using my IPhone X and or mi iPad Pro 11. Both work well, I do have to use my iphone as a hot spot when using my iPad Pro to get the maps while using the DJI fly app.

The IPad Pro has an awesome screen but is somewhat bulky to use and haul around. I have decided to get a iPad mini and really need help on the compatibility to the DJI app. I can get a really good deal on a WiFi only iPad mini 4. I also am looking at a good deal on an iPad mini 5th gen. Wi8ll either one work and can I use my phone as a hotspot and get the DJI fly with maps. Really have read the forums and know this question has been asked in so many ways so I am looking for some help on the subject. Would like to hear from people that use both of the iPad minis and if they are, are there any differences between the gen 4 and 5. Is it worth the extra money to get the 5th gen. Just to add I will only use this iPad mini with my mavic mini2. I have other IOS devices that i use for all other purposes. Just want a little bigger screen then the smart controller but more usable then my iPad Pro.
Thanks so much and appreciate in advance some straight shooting.

71 years old and wear bifocals. Thanks again

Hi, I am totally confused on IPad mini compatibility with my Mini 2. I am currently using my IPhone X and or mi iPad Pro 11. Both work well, I do have to use my iphone as a hot spot when using my iPad Pro to get the maps while using the DJI fly app.

The IPad Pro has an awesome screen but is somewhat bulky to use and haul around. I have decided to get a iPad mini and really need help on the compatibility to the DJI app. I can get a really good deal on a WiFi only iPad mini 4. I also am looking at a good deal on an iPad mini 5th gen. Wi8ll either one work and can I use my phone as a hotspot and get the DJI fly with maps. Really have read the forums and know this question has been asked in so many ways so I am looking for some help on the subject. Would like to hear from people that use both of the iPad minis and if they are, are there any differences between the gen 4 and 5. Is it worth the extra money to get the 5th gen. Just to add I will only use this iPad mini with my mavic mini2. I have other IOS devices that i use for all other purposes. Just want a little bigger screen then the smart controller but more usable then my iPad Pro.

There are many reports of people with the iPad mini 4 getting the dreaded "CPU overload" error. If you have a choice, get the mini 5. I have one for my MA2 and it hasn't given me any issues with the Fly app.

Reactions: pescobar61
Following this conversation. I'm in the same boat as you are... iPad 4 vs iPad 5. Or, even a iPhone 12 Pro max? BTW, I guess you know you can also bring up the maps while you're connected to wifi and then cache them to use while flying with a wifi only device as an option to hotspot with your phone (which I don't know how to do).

Following this conversation. I'm in the same boat as you are... iPad 4 vs iPad 5. Or, even a iPhone 12 Pro max? BTW, I guess you know you can also bring up the maps while you're connected to wifi and then cache them to use while flying with a wifi only device as an option to hotspot with your phone (which I don't know how to do).
If you have an iPhone, go to Settings/Personal Hotspot. Click "Allow Others to Join" and there is a password. Your phone will show up as a WiFi network on your iPad. Click on it, enter the password and you should be connected to cellular data though your phone. Once you do it the first time, it should automatically pick your phone up any time you have the hotspot on without having to enter the password again.

Reactions: Rgrimard and Hobo
If you have an iPhone, go to Settings/Personal Hotspot. Click "Allow Others to Join" and there is a password. Your phone will show up as a WiFi network on your iPad. Click on it, enter the password and you should be connected to cellular data though your phone. Once you do it the first time, it should automatically pick your phone up any time you have the hotspot on without having to enter the password again.
I tried two old Ipads to my Mini2.. No success at all only trouble and to expensive with a new Ipad just for the Mini2.
Bought a Huawei and are 100% satisfied. Use my Iphone as hotspot. "Internet share" and the map goes live.

Best from Sweden

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I tried two old Ipads to my Mini2.. No success at all only trouble and to expensive with a new one just for the Mini2.
Bought a Huawei and are 100% satisfied. Use my Iphone as hotspot. "Internet share".

Best from Sweden
Unfortunately the Fly app is a major resource hog, older apple products don't like it and even some newer Android devices just don't have the horsepower to run it. Any newer iPads I would think would run it but in the iPad mini family, only the iPad mini 5 seems to have the power to run it. You can get away with the mini 4 but there are people that have reported the "CPU overload" on it. My iPhone 7 that I used to run it with would do that but it didn't really seem to affect anything that I noticed. I used it until it started shutting it down whenever I'd boot up the Fly app but it's an old phone and the battery is just about shot anyway. I've had no issues with a 64GB WiFi only iPad mini 5.

Reactions: Rgrimard
You do not need to have an internet connection to use the map. You can preload the maps when WiFi is available.

Reactions: Willybgh
What he said :) ... Plus... go to the Apple website and do a comparison of the specs ( I think you can still view them in the support area ) The mini 5 DOES have a faster processor and -i believe- a larger CPU memory than with the "4"... I've had both run on DJI Go 4 and the Mini 5 doesn't overheat. yes... I realize that Go4 isn't Fly, but it's a larger app and really hammers the CPU when flying the Mavic Pro (which is what I use it for). I would certainly go for the Mini 5.

You do not need to have an internet connection to use the map. You can preload the maps when WiFi is available.
Keep in mind, however, after you "load" the map (when connected), you may need to leave the controller and Mini ON until you get to your destination. Turning either off will likely delete the stored map. FWIW, there is no OffLine Map available for the Fly App... STILL !

A quick video I just made that shows cached maps can be saved in the DJI Fly app. Shows the phone being booted in Airplane mode, theFly app started, going to the video screen, enlarging the map and scrolling around a 2 mile area that I had previously cached/saved. Guessing these maps were cached a couple months ago. Yes, it's shaky and low rez but I wasn't looking to create a production quality vid.

Reactions: frankbonatelli
Isn’t that dangerous in this day with so many hackers? Just asking.

Isn’t that dangerous in this day with so many hackers? Just asking.
Not if they don't have your phone's generated password. Apple's security is pretty robust, especially on their iOS devices.

I recently tried the iPad mini wifi 4 many times - always got the overload issues, loss of streaming video problems etc. I have the latest firmware in both the app and the drone. I also had all other apps closed on the iPad.
I took the plunge a few days ago and purchased a new iPad mini 5 and have no problems. Also not that I am in the Phoenix AZ area tend Temps have been about 110 the last couple days. This hasn’t affected the iPad 5 (I am using a hood on the iPad)

I think you should forego the iPad mini 4.

Joseph

I use an ipad mini5 with my MA2 and love it. Never had any problems with overheating. I set my phone up as a hotspot and have never had problems with that either.

I use my ipad mini with both MA2 and Mini 2. No problems at all. Large enough for us older fliers...lol

Been useing iPad mini 5 LTE version (purely for GPS) since the mini first arived on my doorstep. Moved on to the mini 2 and still no issues. Downloaded maps are always there for my viewing pleasure as long as i take the time pre flight to zoom out and store the data till app is closed. Works well for me all though i hardly use the map and mostly fly VLoS and watching what is being recorded.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54