DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minis apparently being used (illegally?) to locate deer for hunting.

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Reactions: Nautidawg
Surely part of "hunting" is "locating" your prey. Otherwise you've just gone out "killing". IMO arguing that the law needs the word "locating" added to is pointless, it's already in there by definition.

Deffinition of "Hunting" from Wikipedia - Hunting is the practice of seeking, pursuing, and capturing or killing wild animals.

Reactions: Zeke and JTZ
According to McCoy, everyone is running out and buying the Mavic Mini so they don't have to pay 5-bucks for a registration fee?

This wording, from an airborne conveyance, from the law counters the complaints it wasn't a drone because it weighed less then 250 grms, it was still an airborne conveyance.

I also agree with @Alan_M 'Surely part of "hunting" is "locating" your prey. Otherwise you've just gone out "killing" '

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
It would depend on how that state law is written...for example here in Oregon:

2017 ORS 498.128¹
Use of drones for pursuit of wildlife prohibited
(1) The State Fish and Wildlife Commission shall adopt rules prohibiting the use of drones for the following purposes related to the pursuit of wildlife:
(a) Angling;
(b) Hunting;
(c) Trapping;
(d) Aiding angling, hunting or trapping through the use of drones to harass, track, locate or scout wildlife...

In West Virginia the definition of “hunt” is:

Hunt: to chase, catch or take wild birds or animals.

WV Game regulations state:
Prohibitions
It is illegal to hunt, harass or shoot at wild animals or wild birds from an airborne conveyance, a drone or other unmanned aircraft (including the use of a drone or unmanned aircraft to drive or herd any wild bird or wild animal for the purpose of hunting, trapping , wounding, harassing, transporting, or killing), from a vehicle or other land conveyance, from a motor-driven water conveyance, or from or across a public road, unless specifically authorized to do so by law or regulation. You may shoot from a motorized watercraft if the motor has been completely shut off and progress from the motor has ceased.

A good attorney could argue IF the wildlife was not being harassed or driven that regulation does not apply...BUT if an examination of the drone video (if one was taken) makes it apparent that the animal(s) were moving as a result of the drone activity then harassment would be evident and your goose is cooked (pun intended).

EDIT: I was finally able to open the article from the newspaper linked in posts above.
Since there were two persons, two rifles within immediate access and they stated they were ‘looking for deer’ they were hunting.

The fact that the Mini has a weight of 249g likely will not sway the judge as state regulations say ‘airborne conveyance, drone or other unmanned aircraft’; that pretty much covers anything regardless of weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneWireAT1
In South Africa NO drones are allowed to be flown within any of our national parks. This is mainly for poaching of animals, specifically rhino & elephant.

I used to live in South Africa, Johannesburg (Gauteng - East Rand) - I lived there for about 19 years, since I was 9 and I really love South Africa! I love SA & its amazing climate and people! I'm very happy that the Mavic Mini flies in SA also, as I now live back in my home country Bulgaria! I really love animals, all animals and using the Mini for hunting should not be allowed, that's like cheating when it comes to locating your pray - you're basically just killing like that - might as well nuke the national parks, like the Kruger National Park!

I hope that drone pilots and operators don;t use the Mavic Mini for illegal purposes and then try and get away by saying its just a toy! This Toy can fly 2km out (CE - version I have), 500m high, flys at 46km/h in Sports Mode, lasts 25 full, real, proper minutes in the air, takes 4000p x 3000p pictures (12MP) & 2.7K crystal clear video. The mini can even be used professionally with some ND Filters and a bit of skill and EV locking.

Using the Mini to harm animals though is just something absolutely unacceptable and something so horrible that it makes me sick just thinking about it! Rather use the Mini to help some animals, or people or just to have pure fun!

ALL THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE USING THE MAVIC MINI TO HARM ANIMALS, I HOPE YOU CRASH YOUR MINI AND LOSE IT FOREVER!!!

:)

I cannot say I have gone hunting, so pardon my ignorance. Why might one ban using drones for hunting? I mean, a Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual would be fun to locate prey with ... Is it because it gives some people an unfair advantage?

I cannot say I have gone hunting, so pardon my ignorance. Why might one ban using drones for hunting? I mean, a Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual would be fun to locate prey with ... Is it because it gives some people an unfair advantage?

Yes, I would say it's like cheating. Using IR Cameras especially, like I said might as well just NUKE the Park and collect all the animals after that. I too have never gone hunting and never will, I love animals way too much - but if I was to hunt so that I survive (hunt for food) - then maybe I'd use a drone. I just think that when it comes to the hobby of hunting the animals have to have a fair chance of escape & using a drone minimizes the animals chances lots!

But what the hell - if it makes you happy use the drone for hunting. As long as you don't bother any people or endanger anyone or their property I guess you'll be all fine.

:)

I find this discussion slightly amusing.
In Texas it is legal to use drones to hunt on properties that are fully enclosed with a high fence.
Having said that, I find that while i can see an advantage of being able to locate game in the rolling hills of south Texas or the wide open spaces out west, the use of a drone in the piney woods of east Texas is of little or no advantage unless you have one that is capable of shooting the game.
After all, once you spot a deer,you still have to get close enough to shoot it.
I could go on and on but this post is already too long.

One thing that hadn't occurred to me until I read that article was the herding of animals using a drone. Why go out and hunt when you can use a drone to 'harass' the deer to come towards you lol...

It all depends how you define 'hunting'...

My definition is walking and stalking the quarry (and here a drone will be of no use, and I would not use one even if I could - mostly dense bush where I hunt), while others could define shooting from the back of a vehicle as hunting, or sitting in a hide or tree stand as hunting - and then some might even consider herding animals to a point where a shooter is waiting for them as hunting.

Can become a very controversial topic.

Using a drone to locate a deer does not increase your limit, just reduces the time to encounter your prey. And you still need to successfully get close enough and shoot it. Guess I’ll need to check the laws in Virginia.

Reactions: Olduralrider
Hunting animals is by de facto practice an unfair activity. I am not against lawful hunting, but nothing about how hunting is done impresses me much as any sort of accomplishment. Hunters use high powered firearms, scopes, night vision, thermal vision, field vehicles, helicopters, and now drones against their prey. Animals can easily be taken from 500 yards away (if a trained excellent marksman is on the trigger). Lots of hunters try even longer shots.

Hunters use game cameras, salt licks, etc. to determine game paths (or set game paths) ahead of time. All the above to me does not make a great hunter. My definition of a great hunter would be someone who, in brand new strange-to-them territory can find game spore, track game by themselves to with 40 yards, and drop the animal with a single bow shot.

A very few hunters can do this — really few. I can’t for sure.

In Colorado (& some other states), drones are specifically mentioned when being used for spotting game. They're included in the same law that prohibits someone from flying the Cessna over an area they're planning on hunting in to find game.

I can't remember if it's 24 or 48 hours from the time you head in to the area to hunt. But it is illegal if flown inside that window.

Reactions: Smalls
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut