DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minis apparently being used (illegally?) to locate deer for hunting.

I understand why people would see this as an unfair advantage, but then so are trail cameras, long distance scopes, camouflage, etc... When it comes to hunting most species require a permit, or tag, to take an animal. So as long as the DNR is controlling the number of animals taken, what does it matter how you locate them!? The second you pick up a high powered weapon that is capable of killing from a distance great enough the animal didn’t even see it coming, you have an unfair advantage.

I understand why people would see this as an unfair advantage, but then so are trail cameras, long distance scopes, camouflage, etc... When it comes to hunting most species require a permit, or tag, to take an animal. So as long as the DNR is controlling the number of animals taken, what does it matter how you locate them!? The second you pick up a high powered weapon that is capable of killing from a distance great enough the animal didn’t even see it coming, you have an unfair advantage.

I am a certified Hunter Safety Instructor and I hear this kind of question frequently; here’s WHY:

In the process of purchasing a license/tag to take game animals you are agreeing to having knowledge of (and being in compliance with) the state DNR regulations.

If you don’t like the ‘rules of engagement’ you should lobby to change them...or hunt in another state that has rules more to your liking.

Or don’t hunt.

Reactions: Saigondroner
If you don’t like the ‘rules of engagement’ you should lobby to change them...or hunt in another state that has rules more to your liking.

Or don’t hunt.[/QUOTE]

That’s why I fish with dynamite & seine nets in Vietnam. :-D

I am joking my friend...

I brought my wife on a whirlwind tour of the US, and won the lottery to go guide fly fishing in the Madison River, in Montana.

To this day, she hated it, thought it was the dumbest waste of time and money.

“Why make it tougher to catch a fish, and then throw it back????”
:)

https://youtu.be/cQeGspxdLfM

For context, this is a story about a Facebook post from West Virginia’s Natural Resources Police. Like everything on Facebook, some people have different opinions and some people have no idea what they are talking about.

I was born in Wash. DC, grew up in Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudon Counties in Virginia. Senator Byrd left his great state with many other challenges. Thanks to the Feds for setting up shop in Clarksburg/Morgantown. It has provided sorely needed funding.

(I take it all back....I read some of the FB stuff...good heavens!)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hunting animals is by de facto practice an unfair activity. I am not against lawful hunting, but nothing about how hunting is done impresses me much as any sort of accomplishment. Hunters use high powered firearms, scopes, night vision, thermal vision, field vehicles, helicopters, and now drones against their prey. Animals can easily be taken from 500 yards away (if a trained excellent marksman is on the trigger). Lots of hunters try even longer shots.

Hunters use game cameras, salt licks, etc. to determine game paths (or set game paths) ahead of time. All the above to me does not make a great hunter. My definition of a great hunter would be someone who, in brand new strange-to-them territory can find game spore, track game by themselves to with 40 yards, and drop the animal with a single bow shot.

A very few hunters can do this — really few. I can’t for sure.

I have more than 25 cell cameras on 20 acres and a lot of the hunters around us use dogs to hunt deer. Would you like me to post pictures of some of the mature bucks that have made it through hunting season? (In all fairness, there was no deer hunting activity on our property this year, but in years when my fiancé did hunt, he didn’t kill anything in spite of all the cameras we run. When deer don’t come out during the day, you’re not killing them.)

Night vision and thermal are typically used against nuisance animals like hogs, same with helicopters. It’s generally illegal to hunt deer at night.

Scopes increase the chances of a good kill shot. You’re not going to get a 500 yard shot in a forest or woods. Archery hunting produces a lot more poor shots, injuries rather quick kills than hunting with firearms.

Reactions: Olduralrider
being a hunter , i can honestly say you don,t have to worry about the deer they saw with a drone

I'm having a problem figuring out how locating a deer or such via drone is killing it? At best you can see where they are at the moment.... which I presume is someplace you can't see with your eyes.... then by the time you get there, they have moved... on... deer can hear you moving up to 2 miles away... they can surely hear a drone over head... but might not understand what it is....

The only reason I can see for forbidding this is it is disturbing the wild life.... But you know governments... they are run by 'law makers' who feel the need to make new laws constantly to protect us from ourselves...

Reactions: Olduralrider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wendystroper