DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM No Flyzone unlock for home use - literally

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
It’s easy to unlock a Blurb Geo zone. I fly in one all the time. Red is another story.

I live in a red zone (NFZ) and test flew mine inside the house with a piece of foil covering the GPS. Works great but I could still pickup GPS signal here and there when flying in the living room with large skylights... When this happens, you have 90 sec to act before auto landing takes place. And by the way, the MM flies really nice indoors without GPS. Just be on your guard during takeoff as the drone will shift a foot or two sideways before stable hover, but once in steady hover, it flies well. I'd recommend staying in C mode though.

Reactions: old man mavic
Are you sure you are in Blue, not Orange zone? I get unable to list restrictions. What message are you getting? Blue is easy to inlock for all drones except Mini

Definitely flying in Blue. See attached file. I created a Geo unlock zone (circle) that goes right up to the red/orange boundary, and set a 400 foot altitude limit. I'm flying a M2P, so that might be the difference.

Attachments

• SandyBay.pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 8
Definitely flying in Blue. See attached file. I created a Geo unlock zone (circle) that goes right up to the red/orange boundary, and set a 400 foot altitude limit. I'm flying a M2P, so that might be the difference.

O yeah all the DJI drones except Mini can unlock Blue, Mini will be able to do it in late Dec I heard.

No need to apologize. Once I got the pun, I thought it was hilarious.
foiled or no - dji used quite a sh$tty gps unit in the MM - it works pretty much comparable to the usual cheap gps units like matek M8Q-5883. gets 7-9 sats on my frontyard. mavic 2 get 17-21 almost immediately, MM had to wait about of 2 min in the air until it got a link and agree to ascend above 20ft altitude limit.
it is odd as during teardown in that video it showed gps board very comparable in size with what was inside of mavic 2. but it is definitely much, much inferior to it. that may be an issue in any forest or partially covered sky situation.
as i will definitely going to crack it open - already ordered replacement parts - i actually think of soldering in a microswitch on it to turn gps off when i need it. it is not difficult to do and, i think, will be quite handy to have. or may be somebody will figure out how to activate atti mode on it, it would be even better.

Last edited:
It's a bit unusual for DJI to have a red zone that far out from the runway. Usually they go blue before they go grey. I suppose it depends on the airspace class.

It uses drone gps to check nfz ? i thought once I connect drone and connect to DJI fly, it'll use phone gps to check for nfz.

It uses drone gps to check nfz ? i thought once I connect drone and connect to DJI fly, it'll use phone gps to check for nfz.

If that was the case, the Fly app wouldn’t work with most tablets. The app needs to know where the drone is, not where the phone/tablet is.

If that was the case, the Fly app wouldn’t work with most tablets. The app needs to know where the drone is, not where the phone/tablet is.
Isn't that the same case ? If I go to the map view and if it shows me in red zone then isn't that using phone gps to show my location ? And I viewed the map without connecting to drone and the map still shows me in red zone. And its strange it let you takeoff using that foil cover in nfz even the map clearly shows that you are in redzone.

... If I go to the map view and if it shows me in red zone then isn't that using phone gps to show my location ? And I viewed the map without connecting to drone and the map still shows me in red zone. And its strange it let you takeoff using that foil cover in nfz even the map clearly shows that you are in redzone.
The map uses the phone GPS to show your location. The drone location is used for Geo fencing. That is what prevents a drone flying from a non-restricted zone to a restricted zone. The foil blocks the GPS signal to the drone so it does not know where it is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid