DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moab Utah - RV Parking , Flying and Trail Recommendations

MichiganMavic

Reactions
Anyone been to Moab recently and had issues finding parking for a long RV? I know there are plenty of reviews online, but I wanted to hear firsthand here.
I’ll be in a DP Motorhome and have a Wrangler in tow, so a long pull-through is preferable. It’s a Diesel, so the turning radius is pretty good, but I don’t want to go Baja riding with it down soft dirt roads.
Also some good advice on some must see trails.
I’ll also have the two Mavics , any issues flying there?
It’ll be our first time in Moab and one of the places I always wanted to go exploring.
Tips and recommendations appreciated [emoji120].

Anyone been to Moab recently and had issues finding parking for a long RV? I know there are plenty of reviews online, but I wanted to hear firsthand here.
I’ll be in a DP Motorhome and have a Wrangler in tow, so a long pull-through is preferable. It’s a Diesel, so the turning radius is pretty good, but I don’t want to go Baja riding with it down soft dirt roads.
Also some good advice on some must see trails.
I’ll also have the two Mavics , any issues flying there?
It’ll be our first time in Moab and one of the places I always wanted to go exploring.
Tips and recommendations appreciated [emoji120].

What kind of trails are you looking for? Mountain biking, hiking or something motorized?

4 wheeling in a Jeep [emoji6].
I assume there’s trails everywhere, but the ones you don’t want to miss out on[emoji6]

Okay - I'm not the best source of advice on the rock-crawling scene. I go there for the mountain biking.

4 wheeling in a Jeep [emoji6].
I assume there’s trails everywhere, but the ones you don’t want to miss out on[emoji6]
That requires some reading on your part, honestly. Moab is awesome but the trails vary a great deal in difficulty level and required equipment. Is your Jeep stock or modified (and if modified, how?). Do you have a lot of off-road experience with your Jeep? Fins and Things is a great trail for stock to lifted - the hardest parts can mostly be bypassed if you aren't up for it. There are easier trails and definitely harder trails.

Before my trip to Moab, I got the book 'Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails' by Charles Wells. It was very useful helping me select the best trails for me and my Jeep.

My trip was before I owned a drone, but all that area is gorgeous so anywhere would probably be good for flying. I'm anxious to go again... Jeep has been upgraded a fair bit since then!

That requires some reading on your part, honestly. Moab is awesome but the trails vary a great deal in difficulty level and required equipment. Is your Jeep stock or modified (and if modified, how?). Do you have a lot of off-road experience with your Jeep? Fins and Things is a great trail for stock to lifted - the hardest parts can mostly be bypassed if you aren't up for it. There are easier trails and definitely harder trails.

Before my trip to Moab, I got the book 'Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails' by Charles Wells. It was very useful helping me select the best trails for me and my Jeep.

My trip was before I owned a drone, but all that area is gorgeous so anywhere would probably be good for flying. I'm anxious to go again... Jeep has been upgraded a fair bit since then!

Been off-roading at the sand dunes and cabin on and off for over 30 years. I have several atvs, but have been using my RZR or land cruiser exclusively for the past 5-6 yrs.
The wrangler JK is a recent purchase since retiring our other “Toad” and no matter what I do , I’m sure I’ll be a newbie there in comparison [emoji5].

I installed an Old Man Emu 4-6” lift kit last week, and am in the midst of installing a new modular winch bumper and 12k winch.
Last minute stuff like incorporating the tow bar brackets (flat towing )into the bumper is eating away time. Fun times with the plasma cutter and welder today [emoji16]
The last minute switch (wife’s work schedule) made me switch up our trip from the Grand Canyon to the Moab, hence the short notice of this thread.
I Didn’t have time to read up on Moab in/outs because of time constraints getting the Jeep and MH ready for trip[emoji6]

* I realize I can sign up on a Jeep forum for info, but why? I hoping to get unbiased info w/o joining another Forum ( I spend too much time here [emoji16])
I can only imagine the lashing I’d get from that group too[emoji38]

Last edited:
That's great! You've got plenty of experience and a vehicle ready for just about anything! [emoji4] Even only having been up there once, I saw too many people with neither (or sometimes worse, a nice vehicle they had no clue how to drive) and they just got themselves into trouble. For anyone else reading this: the experience is, by far, the most important. A skilled off-road driver can do wonders with lesser vehicles. While the Jeep isn't designed to go as fast off-road as the atvs and RZR, it will go just about anywhere in the right hands! I love my heavily modified Rubi!

I live pretty close to the Grand Canyon and, while it is amazing and everyone should see it if they can, I'd rather go to Moab any day. To me, being in the canyons is much better than looking down into them. Arches NP is well worth visiting and just north of Moab. The drive thru the park is incredible, but if you want to do any hiking, there are even more amazing arches and terrain you can see.

So I would suggest Fins and Things as a good first trail still. There are definitely more challenging trails but it has enough challenging parts to give you a good intro to slickrock. I'd also suggest visiting one of the off-road shops when you get into town. They can help give you more detailed info and maps for all the trails (often free), which you'll want to have. Sometimes the trails aren't that well marked, altho the tire marks on the slickrock can still be a decent guide. There are also enough people out on the trails that if you see something you aren't sure how to get over, just wait and watch other drivers.

Most importantly... Now that you have a Jeep, be sure to wave at other Jeepers!! [emoji112][emoji4] Be safe and have fun!!

Reactions: MichiganMavic
I took a quick look in my book and I will say that if I were going today to fly, I'd consider Gemini Bridges trail as it has some amazing terrain to fly around by the looks of things. Bull Canyon trail takes you to the Gemini Bridges from the bottom instead, altho it is an easy trail. Gold Bar Rim, Metal Masher and others are also in the same area. Both of those are rated difficult.

Be sure to get detailed info and maps before going out on any of the trails. If you have a GPS useable for off-road, I'd take it.

Oh and FYI, while Fins and Things is rated difficult, it's one of the easier difficult trails. Mostly steep slickrock without the high risk of damage obstacles.

Reactions: MichiganMavic
I already cheated and went to the G.C. Several times and even had a helicopter ride through it[emoji6]. My wife hasn’t been there yet, but I told her that I think as a whole, we’d have more fun at Moab. Just now bolting on the modified bumper, now wiring the jeeps tail lights for towing. I have to wire in isolators so I don’t have any back feed through the harness.
Next, the Winch[emoji106]

Reactions: TheWolfen
Stayed in Moab UT Last fall at the ACT Campground and Learning cent. (Passport America) for 10 days (way to short !) in our 40 foot class A and toad, easy in and out. Excellent location close to town, WIFI and Cable were excellent. We had to be selective to fly, but there are areas just outside the parks you can get the full views. Make it a must see.

I've been doing Vanlife for 15 months now, spent time in Moab and absolutely love it there! We use an app called iOverlander to find camp spots. There are literally tons of free spots down hard-packed gravel roads right outside of Moab.

We live and die by the app, it's free on Android and iOS. Take a look. Have a great trip!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000