DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Modified firmware discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMMPYIII

Reactions
Can we talk about modified firmware now that DJI has been found in violation of GPL?
You are just pushing users to other forums by blocking it.

What is GPL?
GNU General Public License - it's the license agreement attached to those who use these free, open-source software packages.

One of the provisions is that any company using software under the GPL must provide source code for their products incorporating it to anybody requesting it. DJI has been asked repeatedly for source code to abide by the license they signed to use GNU stuff, but so far (to my knowledge) has either refused or just ignored requests. The code requested, of course, is chock-full of interesting goodies I'm sure.

I just found out about this issue with DJI this week, so am far from an expert, but I believe that's the gist of it.

Can we talk about modified firmware now that DJI has been found in violation of GPL?
You are just pushing users to other forums by blocking it.
No.
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 11.37.18 PM.png
As far as
pushing users to other forums by blocking it
Then they are welcome to go .

Reactions: Mr. Salty
What is GPL?

Short for General Public License, the license that accompanies some open source software that details how the software and its accompany source code can be freely copied, distributed and modified. The most widespread use of GPL is in reference to the GNU GPL, which is commonly abbreviated simply as GPLwhen it is understood that the term refers to the GNU GPL. One of the basic tenets of the GPL is that anyone who acquires the material must make it available to anyone else under the same licensing agreement.

GNU General Public License - it's the license agreement attached to those who use these free, open-source software packages.

One of the provisions is that any company using software under the GPL must provide source code for their products incorporating it to anybody requesting it. DJI has been asked repeatedly for source code to abide by the license they signed to use GNU stuff, but so far (to my knowledge) has either refused or just ignored requests. The code requested, of course, is chock-full of interesting goodies I'm sure.

I just found out about this issue with DJI this week, so am far from an expert, but I believe that's the gist of it.

He in fairness asked an honest question?
No mention of modification or changing anything. That's already happened anyway. FB it ..
but to be fair it's a valid question not implying breaking the forums rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman